• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart and losing culture.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

18 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I like Jim and I think when we do get a stadium it should named after him but the MAN CRUSH some of you have for him is crazy.  If Taggart was a bad game day coach then Leavitt was every bit as bad if not worse. 

Cwt is going to go ahead and disagree with you on that since he hired him to game day coach and all 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

32 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I like Jim and I think when we do get a stadium it should named after him but the MAN CRUSH some of you have for him is crazy.  If Taggart was a bad game day coach then Leavitt was every bit as bad if not worse. 

It's the anti-Jims that are bringing him into a discussion about Taggart.  I suppose that is to imply @puc86 can't have an opinion on this because he is in love with The Jim.

• Haha 1

The fact Tags has lost more than he's won does not make him a bad coach.  He's the second best ever at USF, and that says a lot.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,806
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

It's the anti-Jims that are bringing him into a discussion about Taggart.  I suppose that is to imply @puc86 can't have an opinion on this because he is in love with The Jim.

Or that the Jim is infallible and is above reproach when talking about his coaching ability. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

4 hours ago, Brad said:

I don't disagree, but add that a great recruiter/good coach beats a great recruiter/not so good coach.  His recruiting rescued us from the edge.  A great recruiter can offset his lack of coaching experience, but only against less talented teams.  His greatest attribute is he knows when to get out of a situation.  At FSU, he may not have the leverage and choice he's had as he did at his stepping stone small schools.

At FSU he has no escape hatch. The escape is the buy out. He's not going to get an offer at a comparable school now.  But hey, he doesn't have to get out of the situation, he gets fired for anything other than a cause that voids his buyout and he's still set for life.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Not that he can't have an opinion, just that his daddy love of The Jim colors all his thinking about everything else to the point of irrationality and unreasonability.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bullrush33 said:

Or that the Jim is infallible and is above reproach when talking about his coaching ability. 

No, Jim was a known defensive coach.  He had to hire offensive help.  Tags was a known recruiter, he had to hire offensive and defensive help.  The two are different, but much the same.  I don't know who gets the recruiting credit for those great defensive players we had/developed, but I am guessing the Jim.  Like Willie, when he got in front of a group of people, he could motivate.  I don't believe this is a Jim vs. Willie thread.  If it is, I missed it.

5 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

At FSU he has no escape hatch. The escape is the buy out. He's not going to get an offer at a comparable school now.  But hey, he doesn't have to get out of the situation, he gets fired for anything other than a cause that voids his buyout and he's still set for life.

This exactly.  He's made it to the top and the riches that come with it are his - and he never had to win ANYTHING.

When he needs change down the road, he can go in studio.

Hence I prepare to celebrate the American worker.  May they all have similar success.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

4 hours ago, SpeedBull said:

Every organization needs two sides....Sales and Operations. Willie is a salesman....he needs great operations managers (coaches and coordinators).

He could have been great here for a long time had he stayed. We were on the verge and he left. Can’t blame him for the great opportunities he’s gotten, although I wish he’d stayed here.

Many of us who don't think he's a great game day x and os coach have said that. He'd be a late career Bobby Bowden, representing the face of the program, selling, recruiting and letting the coordinators run the team.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Brad said:

This exactly.  He's made it to the top and the riches that come with it are his - and he never had to win ANYTHING.

When he needs change down the road, he can go in studio.

what did kirby smart have to win? or will muschamp? or dabo swinney?  or lincoln riley? or bob stoops?