• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4th and short.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

It's kind of like Blackjack

With the card and everything always split aces and eights and always go for it on 4-1 and 4-2 and it doesn’t matter what your anecdotal evidence has to say about it because the law of averages is a law.

Edited by puc86

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I would not have been mad had CCS gone for it and failed there. I would have been mad because the play call would have been yet another run up the middle.

Also, the set up to the question ignores the play right before. We had 3rd and 6. We handed off to go right up the middle. If you’re running that play on 3rd down you have to expect that there’s a 50-50 shot we’re going to need a 4th down play of a couple yards or less. If you have no intention of going for it on 4th there then you have to play 3rd down differently. And that is a lot of the probem.

• Upvote 4

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,315
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

I would not have been mad had CCS gone for it and failed there. I would have been mad because the play call would have been yet another run up the middle.

Also, the set up to the question ignores the play right before. We had 3rd and 6. We handed off to go right up the middle. If you’re running that play on 3rd down you have to expect that there’s a 50-50 shot we’re going to need a 4th down play of a couple yards or less. If you have no intention of going for it on 4th there then you have to play 3rd down differently. And that is a lot of the probem.

Correct if you are not coming to get the first down on 3 and 6 with a pass then you should be committing to go for it on fourth down if the run fails.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, Bulls Are We said:

Not sure why you would expect anything different when CSS ended the first half like this, with three timeouts, down two touchdowns and UCF receiving the second half kickoff.  

USF at 00:21
TOTAL 1 plays , -1 yards Time of Possession: 0:21
1st and 10 at USF37 USF drive start at 00:21.
1st and 10 at USF37 Timeout USF, clock 00:21.
1st and 10 at USF37 TEAM rush for loss of 1 yard to the USF36.
2nd and 11 at USF36 End of half, clock 00:00.

To be fair the decision to go for it or not there is almost certainly CCS' call and not Gilbert's.   OC's call the plays but that kind of large scope game management typically falls on the HC.   The HC would dictate IF you're going for it the OC would dictate HOW you go for it if that is the call by the HC.  I just don't see a HC giving their OC that kind of control over the flow of a football game to make that call.  They ask the OC for input about how they feel about it but ultimately the HC is going to say go or no.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

23 minutes ago, puc86 said:

With the card and everything always split aces and eights and always go for it on 4-1 and 4-2 and it doesn’t matter what your anecdotal evidence has to say about it because the law of averages is a law.

Exactly.  CCS is that annoying tourist sitting at the end of the table refusing to hit on 15 with the dealer showing a face card because he's afraid he'll bust

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

To be fair the decision to go for it or not there is almost certainly CCS' call and not Gilbert's.   OC's call the plays but that kind of large scope game management typically falls on the HC.   The HC would dictate IF you're going for it the OC would dictate HOW you go for it if that is the call by the HC.  I just don't see a HC giving their OC that kind of control over the flow of a football game to make that call.  They ask the OC for input about how they feel about it but ultimately the HC is going to say go or no.  

And it appeared pretty obvious that it was CCS call to kneel at the end of the half.  I'd say that the evidence is pretty overwhelming that over his career CCS wild and crazy approach to the game is not being held back by his OCs

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,003
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

he could in theory run another play

First thing that came to mind.  They all know the run up the middle is coming.  Surprise them (and us) with something else.  

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Did we ever run anything other than a run up the middle on 4th and 1 all season. I would have preferred to try and draw ucf offsides and if they don’t fall for it take the 5 yard penalty and punt

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

And if you watch any of Bill Ripken on MLB network, he will present you with numbers that even with the shift the Batting averages don't change. So is the shift really doing anything but put your defense in awkward positions? 

EVERY batter in this article had a lower batting average against the shift.

https://www.mlb.com/news/which-players-are-hurt-most-by-infield-shift/c-263778660

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,290
  • Days Won:  0

Our HB dive play does not work very well without E. Mack.  We need to recruit some power RBs.