• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie's tenure here....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, Calibull said:

As opposed to who?  Willie where we lost to FAU (during another losing season for them), and FCS school, and Rugters that was under .500... or lets look at the  Holtz years when we loss to what?  A two win Uconn team?  Don't get me started on the CJL years... we lost to plenty of teams under or at .500... So the fact that we haven't loss to a team with a losing record says a lot.  These are the games good team win.  I was skeptical for a second, but I'm sold on Charlie Strong now.  He's the right guy.

Hell yeah!..this comment should be the poster that shuts down the asinine reasoning for such a silly discussion to start with...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

58 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Stop telling the truth... it doesn't fit his narrative.  I don't think Air raid means what he thinks it means.  Or he never watched a Mizzou game.

I know. I'm not arguing that Heupel isn't an Air Raid disciple with a ton of Air Raid plays in his passing offense, but it's not just incorporating their plays that makes it an "Air Raid" offense. It's an entire philosophy of how you're going to go about moving the ball. I doubt Heupel would even have a name for his offense yet, but when you run the ball more than 50% of the time, you're not meshing with Hal Mumme's philosophy and it's definitely not Air Raid. We've run some pistol plays in the past, doesn't mean we ran the Pistol offense.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

38 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I know. I'm not arguing that Heupel isn't an Air Raid disciple with a ton of Air Raid plays in his passing offense, but it's not just incorporating their plays that makes it an "Air Raid" offense. It's an entire philosophy of how you're going to go about moving the ball. I doubt Heupel would even have a name for his offense yet, but when you run the ball more than 50% of the time, you're not meshing with Hal Mumme's philosophy and it's definitely not Air Raid. We've run some pistol plays in the past, doesn't mean we ran the Pistol offense.

I followed what you said perfectly... and agreed

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

9 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I followed what you said perfectly... and agreed

There’s been so much disagreement on the board we’ve forgot how to agree with each other 🙀

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

19 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

There’s been so much disagreement on the board we’ve forgot how to agree with each other 🙀

I disagree with this 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Hell yeah!..this comment should be the poster that shuts down the asinine reasoning for such a silly discussion to start with...

Whoa, Chief, silly discussions are what's keeping this board alive during this 6-0 run ....

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

44 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I disagree with this 

1f8mex.jpg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

I get what you’re saying, but you could use the same principle and say Sterlin isn’t Veer & Shoot because he runs more than Briles & Co. The original Air Raid offense under Mumme was considered an Zaire Raid because they threw almost as much as they ran in a era of 2 yards and a cloud of dust. It’s all relative. Sure, leach took what Mumme build and created his own verysion, but the pass/run split is only 1/3rd of what makes it Air Raid. The core competentencies can be found on the OL and Route Tree concepts. 

My point before this entire Air Raid debate was simply that Heupel walked into o-town and didn’t try and turn Milton into Drew Lock or Graham Harrell. He kept a lot of the same packages/plays they were successful with. I appreciate a coach willing to adjust to his players strengths rather than simply install his stuff without watching any film on his team. I’m looking at you Sterlin

Edited by IBulleve

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

14 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I appreciate a coach willing to adjust to his players strengths rather than simply install his stuff without watching any film on his team. I’m looking at you Sterlin

School record for avg yards per game of total offense in 2017 and we're still getting nonsense like this ...

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Calibull said:

As opposed to who?  Willie where we lost to FAU (during another losing season for them), and FCS school, and Rugters that was under .500... or lets look at the  Holtz years when we loss to what?  A two win Uconn team?  Don't get me started on the CJL years... we lost to plenty of teams under or at .500... So the fact that we haven't loss to a team with a losing record says a lot.  These are the games good team win.  I was skeptical for a second, but I'm sold on Charlie Strong now.  He's the right guy.

Willie inherited nothing. He basically built from scratch when he took over for Holtz. He left Charlie a very good situation. Charlie has benefited from a very favorable schedule, which is no fault of his own....just saying he was 1-2 vs. FBS teams who had winning records in 2017. He'll have a few such opponents in the coming weeks. We'll see what that looks like.

I don't think I have to name the big wins CJL had here. Charlie may go on to do the same, but there just isn't much to go on yet. Not sure why anybody would be sold on him at this point. It's just a fact that he's beaten a collection of bad teams (not in a very impressive fashion this year), and has done so-so against average to good teams. I'm still waiting to see how things unfold this year, and I' still have hope that he can get us a CC finally. Also not sure why anybody would want him fired. Nothing wrong with a 16-2 record, albeit one without a signature victory (3-4 GT? 7-6 Temple last year?) And as I mentioned before, his only two losses here could have easily been wins. Let's see what he's able to do with in the last six games this year where the schedule won't be quite as easy...