• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie's tenure here....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, IBulleve said:

GT is the closest this year. I felt really confident that Sterlin had turned the corner after that game. It’s been a steady regression since then. 

Going back to last year, the Illinois game stands out as a game we played particular well in. Outside of that, Cincy & Temple were dumpster fires. Don’t think we “executed” at a high level despite the scores. 

The larger the sample size gets, the more underperforming data we get (17 - SJSU, Tulsa, Tulane, UConn 18 - Tulsa, UMass, Illinois) 

Can you clarify your numbers? We scored in bushels against umass, Uconn, and Illinois last year.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Then your focus should be on him. I get it that CCS has to make that decision but I would also submit that Gilbert is 1.6 seasons in and just getting to the point of recruiting and using players for his system. Am I disappointed with him? Yes. But I think another year is warranted before final actions are taken.  

Once again, not calling for heads here. Simply expressing frustration. My problem with Sterlin is his “scheme” doesn’t fit what we do best. The one thing I hate more than anything is when ego is placed ahead of success. 

The best example of this is how Sterlin came in and changed the entire offense to what HE wanted to do. Look at what’s Heupel is doing in Orlando. He’s an Air Raid OC. He essentially kept 80-90% of the playbook, and added in a few wrinkles that fit his core competencies. 

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

Are you blaming the Houston game or the UCF game on our offense?

Uhhh...no. I am actually defending Gilbert to a point...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The mistake CCS made last year was the inability of Gilbert to adjust to the talent level he had.

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Uhhh...no. I am actually defending Gilbert to a point...

We had two "mistakes" last year, so I was trying to figure out which one was on Gilbert and his inability to adjust his offense to the talent.

Just now, IBulleve said:

Once again, not calling for heads here. Simply expressing frustration. My problem with Sterlin is his “scheme” doesn’t fit what we do best. The one thing I hate more than anything is when ego is placed ahead of success. 

The best example of this is how Sterlin came in and changed the entire offense to what HE wanted to do. Look at what’s Heupel is doing in Orlando. He’s an Air Raid OC. He essentially kept 80-90% of the playbook, and added in a few wrinkles that fit his core competencies. 

I agree with that point and that was an issue. But what’s done is done. It’s time to see what he can do with a few more of his players. We are scoring points but it is uneven and when we do get a lot the defense plays bad. I am only suggesting that he gets one more year with his players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Can you clarify your numbers? We scored in bushels against umass, Uconn, and Illinois last year.

My apologies, should’ve been more clear in breaking those up. I actually liked what we did against Illinois last year. Thought it was one of our better games. I mentioned UMass as a dissapointment under ‘18. 

UConn last year was a close game until MVS broke the 95 yarder off a hitch route. 

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

We had two "mistakes" last year, so I was trying to figure out which one was on Gilbert and his inability to adjust his offense to the talent.

I get it, I am referencing more to this year. In general, I am not opposed to Gilbert’s system and think he needs at least another year with his players. We have done the up tempo passing based spread and we got nothing. I want us to stay the course.

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree with that point and that was an issue. But what’s done is done. It’s time to see what he can do with a few more of his players. We are scoring points but it is uneven and when we do get a lot the defense plays bad. I am only suggesting that he gets one more year with his players.

I disagree, but that’s ok. I see your point. Might be moot if CCS can’t retain once his salary jumps and assistant coaches have to take a pay cut. 

1 minute ago, IBulleve said:

My apologies, should’ve been more clear in breaking those up. I actually liked what we did against Illinois last year. Thought it was one of our better games. I mentioned UMass as a dissapointment under ‘18. 

UConn last year was a close game until MVS broke the 95 yarder off a hitch route. 

Yes Uconn was close at that time (I was at the game) but at no time did ever feel we were in trouble (certainly not like last week 😂). 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

24 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

Heupel isn't anything close to an Air Raid OC. His offense last year at Mizzou averaged 200 yards a game on the ground and was 35th in the nation.

Edited by JTrue