• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie's tenure here....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  2

CCS is a great recruiter, and talent wise I think we have the best team in the American conference and one of the best teams in the country. As a head coach though, I also am not sold on him yet. Despite having all of that talent, we have been unable to put things together and play the way we know we are capable of playing. CCS was known as a defensive coach, but I have not seen much improvement on that side of the ball since the CWT days. I also think that the team is very undisciplined, which shows with all the flags flying during the games. 

That being said, I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he is 16-2 as the head coach and has been able to teach this team one intangible aspect that a lot of teams in the FBS do not possess, and that is the ability to perform under pressure. It has not been pretty, but this team is gritty, stays calm, and finds ways to win despite being down in the 4th quarter. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,213
  • Days Won:  25

We are a young team with a lot of new starters. The bulls are going through some growing pains on the fly, but are still winning. I would rather have a new group of players fighting it out on the field and winning then losing while gaining experience. These young players and new players are learning the game isn't over until the end and keep grinding until its over. Yes we have the talent to win by more, and that will come with time.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Humm..I don’t know...one of 17 coaches up for coach of the year...in terms of a light schedule, why should he be punished for something out of his control...and I believe he has won those games so there is that...

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  684

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Humm..I don’t know...one of 17 coaches up for coach of the year...in terms of a light schedule, why should he be punished for something out of his control...and I believe he has won those games so there is that...

A win is a win, but I think OP was just saying that he hasn't really been tested yet. He is 2-2 against teams with winning records. The second half of the season (Houston, Cincy, Temple, UCF) will tell us everything we need to know.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

30 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not saying he should be punished, just saying that he beat ONE FBS team with a winning record last year, and that was Temple at 7-6. None of the FBS teams he beat this year are above .500. It should also be mentioned here that we were respectable in his only two losses, and could have won each of those games. 

Edited by USFBulls727
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Yes as far as losses go.  We were in position to win.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

He was blowing out teams last year. We had Houston won. He made adjustments in UCF game and came back from two tds down. So there is evidence he knows what he is doing. This team is young.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,483
  • Days Won:  0

The team can only beat who's on the schedule and that's what they've done.  In some Bizarro World, we could turn back the clock 2 years and put us in a different conference against better opponents which would also mean better recruiting and better players, who knows....  We're above average talent wise in the American, but outside the conference, we're average.  

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322

Every single game we've played under Charlie Strong we have been in position to win.  As much as we gripe about the offense (myself included) our defense has proven to be more costly in crunchtime situations in BOTH of our losses.  I think he's doing his job as HC, and that's putting us in the position to win.  

• Upvote 1