• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie's tenure here....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I disagree, but that’s ok. I see your point. Might be moot if CCS can’t retain once his salary jumps and assistant coaches have to take a pay cut. 

True. Might be moot if we win the AAC too 😁

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Heupel isn't anything close to an Air Raid OC. His offense last year at Mizzou averaged 200 yards a game and was 35th in the nation.

You might want to do a little more digging on your end. He is most definitely Air Raid. He played and learned under Mike Leach. In fact, he’s the poster boy of the Air Raid QB from his time at OU. 

Watch some film on Mizzou ‘17 and then look at what leach is doing at Wazzou. THEN, look at what Heupel is doing at UCF. The passing game stuff is still there, but the run game is straight from Frost/Kelly 

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

You might want to do a little more digging on your end. He is most definitely Air Raid. He played and learned under Mike Leach. In fact, he was by most accounts, he’s the poster boy of the Air Raid QB from his time at OU. 

Watch some film on Mizzou ‘17 and then look at what leach is doing at Wazzou. THEN, look at what Heupel is doing at UCF. The passing game stuff is still there, but the run game is straight from Frost/Kelly 

I don't doubt that he was an Air Raid player and learned the Air Raid from Leach. But he did not run an Air Raid offense with Missouri last year.

The Air Raid under Mumme and Leach is roughly 2:1 pass to run play calling. It's literally in the name of the offense. Want to guess the breakdown for Missouri last year or should I make it suspenseful?

You might want to be the one digging.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I don't doubt that he was an Air Raid player and learned the Air Raid from Leach. But he did not run an Air Raid offense with Missouri last year.

The Air Raid under Mumme and Leach is roughly 2:1 pass to run play calling. It's literally in the name of the offense. Want to guess the breakdown for Missouri last year or should I make it suspenseful?

You might want to be the one digging.

The Air Raid refers to principles within the offense (route concepts, half field reads, etc) not your pass/run ratio. Yes they tend to pass more than they run, but not all at a 2:1 split.  Yes, Heupel ran the ball a ton last year at mizzou, and so is Kingsburry at Texas Tech. In fact, Tech is almost a 1:1 split this year. Care to tell me that he isnt apart of the Air Raid tree? 

Mike Leach is the most extreme in Pass/Run split. He actually had a great quote on that recently - “There’s nothing balanced about 50% run-50% pass, ’cause that’s 50% stupid. What is balance is when you have five skill positions and all five of them are contributing to the effort in somewhat equal fashion — that’s balance.

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, IBulleve said:

The Air Raid refers to principles within the offense (route concepts, half field reads, etc) not your pass/run ratio. Yes they tend to pass more than they run, but not all at a 2:1 split.  Yes, Heupel ran the ball a ton last year at mizzou, and so is Kingsburry at Texas Tech. In fact, Tech is almost a 1:1 split this year. Care to tell me that he isnt apart of the Air Raid tree? 

Mike Leach is the most extreme in Pass/Run split. He actually had a great quote on that recently - “There’s nothing balanced about 50% run-50% pass, ’cause that’s 50% stupid. What is balance is when you have five skill positions and all five of them are contributing to the effort in somewhat equal fashion — that’s balance.

Josh Heupel most definitely ran an Air Raid offense last year at Mizzou. You are correct.

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

First of all, there is nowhere near the talent on this team people think. Yes there are some bright spots, but what's behind them? Our OL is shaky, safeties and middle LB are below average. The youth movement will pay dividends down the road. St. Felix has stop fighting for balls, McCants is solid and Soloman comes and goes...Ford and Cronkite have been dynamic...but it's hard running into a wall. We miss Horne and jet sweeps and somebody to get over top of the safeties. With all that said....depth is a big issue on an overall average talent team.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Quinton Flowers would make a lot of coaches look good.

Q could also get coaches better jobs

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Q could also get coaches better jobs

Not only that but he could get them even better jobs the following year even without playing for them, that’s pretty **** good.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

17 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Taking a closer look at Charlie's 16-2 record here....

* Our opponents combined record at the end of 2017: 64-85 (54-82 against FBS....Stony Brook went 10-3)

* Temple (7-6) UCF (13-0) & Houston (7-5) were the only FBS teams we played with winning records. We went 1-2 against them.

*  The rest of our 2017 opponents: SJ State (2-11) Illinois (2-10) Tulsa (2-10) ECU (3-9) Cincy (4-8) Tulane (5-7) UConn (3-9) Texas Tech (6-7)

* Of our opponents this year, only Elon has a winning record

I'm not on board with the "Fire Charlie" thing, but I'm also far from sold on him. 6-0 is great, but being one or two plays better than bad teams on multiple occasions is why there are some in here who have doubts about him. After UConn, which is about a sure a win as it gets, the last few games will probably be the toughest stretch he's had since he's been here, and we'll learn a little more about what kind of coach he is.

I can't help but compare us to the team in Orlando. There hasn't been much difference at all in the level of recruiting over the past few years between us and them, but there's a huge difference in what we see on the field. These teams that we are barely winning against (ECU, Tulsa, Illinois) get smoked by UCF without a doubt. Frost went 13-0 in his second year and won the conference. Huepel is unbeaten in his first year, and they have mostly looked good in doing it. Hard to tell, but we seem to have regressed a bit in year two with Strong (I could be wrong).

As opposed to who?  Willie where we lost to FAU (during another losing season for them), and FCS school, and Rugters that was under .500... or lets look at the  Holtz years when we loss to what?  A two win Uconn team?  Don't get me started on the CJL years... we lost to plenty of teams under or at .500... So the fact that we haven't loss to a team with a losing record says a lot.  These are the games good team win.  I was skeptical for a second, but I'm sold on Charlie Strong now.  He's the right guy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

Heupel isn't anything close to an Air Raid OC. His offense last year at Mizzou averaged 200 yards a game on the ground and was 35th in the nation.

Stop telling the truth... it doesn't fit his narrative.  I don't think Air raid means what he thinks it means.  Or he never watched a Mizzou game.