• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie's tenure here....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, lotsofbull99 said:

Exactly, CCS is not willing to do what it takes to compete at a high level, thus why he crashed and burned at Tejas.

We can toughen him up. Have him sit in a room with the new logo for about 2 hours. If that does not piss off a person nothing will...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Humm..I don’t know...one of 17 coaches up for coach of the year...in terms of a light schedule, why should he be punished for something out of his control...and I believe he has won those games so there is that...

That particular coach of the year award has as much to do with graduation % & other off the field accolades as it does with on field success. Not saying those things aren’t important from a program standpoint, but this thread is specifically about him maximizing his talent on the field.

Outside of C. last year, is there a game where you can say CCS & this staff got everything they could out of this team? Heck even that game is questionable. We had a chance to put the game away in the 4th and didn’t. Got too conservative and it bit us. Not to mention the “kicking game”. 

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But the next line by the post you are referring to, “we are average (in terms talent) outside of the conference” refutes this point you made. If our talent out of conference is average and yet we have won those games over the past years, some of this has to be due to coaching.

I don't really agree with the part that said "we are average (in terms of talent) outside of the conference. I highlighted the part that said "We're above average talent wise in the American",  and responded specifically to that. 

1 minute ago, IBulleve said:

That particular coach of the year award has as much to do with graduation % & other off the field accolades as it does with on field success. Not saying those things aren’t important from a program standpoint, but this thread is specifically about him maximizing his talent on the field.

Outside of C. last year, is there a game where you can say CCS & this staff got everything they could out of this team? Heck even that game is questionable. We had a chance to put the game away in the 4th and didn’t. Got too conservative and it bit us. Not to mention the “kicking game”. 

So what do you want to do fire a coach who is winning, bringing in good recruits, graduating players, brings us media hits, etc. How about a little player responsibility sometimes. 

What the hell people! Did you not learn anything from the hiring of skippy??????

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So what do you want to do fire a coach who is winning, bringing in good recruits, graduating players, brings us media hits, etc. How about a little player responsibility sometimes. 

What the hell people! Did you not learn anything from the hiring of skippy??????

You’re putting words in my mouth. I never said fire him. In fact, there’s a reason I put “& this staff” in my post. My problem lies with Sterlin and Burke. Not necessarily CCS

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Unless I missed something, he wasn't calling on Strong to be fired. As far as the question "Outside of C. last year, is there a game where you can say CCS & this staff got everything they could out of this team?", maybe a couple last year, but not sure there was any such game this year (GT being the closest).

Edited by USFBulls727

2 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

You’re putting words in my mouth. I never said fire him. In fact, there’s a reason I put “& this staff” in my post. My problem lies with Sterlin and Burke. Not necessarily CCS

Then your focus should be on him. I get it that CCS has to make that decision but I would also submit that Gilbert is 1.6 seasons in and just getting to the point of recruiting and using players for his system. Am I disappointed with him? Yes. But I think another year is warranted before final actions are taken.  

Just now, USFBulls727 said:

Unless I missed something, he wasn't calling on Strong to be fired. as far as the question "Outside of C. last year, is there a game where you can say CCS & this staff got everything they could out of this team?", maybe a couple last year, but not sure there was any such game this year (GT being the closest).

GT is the closest this year. I felt really confident that Sterlin had turned the corner after that game. It’s been a steady regression since then. 

Going back to last year, the Illinois game stands out as a game we played particular well in. Outside of that, Cincy & Temple were dumpster fires. Don’t think we “executed” at a high level despite the scores. 

The larger the sample size gets, the more underperforming data we get (17 - SJSU, Tulsa, Tulane, UConn 18 - Tulsa, UMass, Illinois) 

3 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Unless I missed something, he wasn't calling on Strong to be fired. As far as the question "Outside of C. last year, is there a game where you can say CCS & this staff got everything they could out of this team?", maybe a couple last year, but not sure there was any such game this year (GT being the closest).

The mistake CCS made last year was the inability of Gilbert to adjust to the talent level he had. But that being said, this does happen. New coach new system. Another year needs to be given to Gilbert with his players. If that fails then yes, an OC change needs to made. I can’t justify letting an OC go after 1.6 seasons.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

The mistake CCS made last year was the inability of Gilbert to adjust to the talent level he had. But that being said, this does happen. New coach new system. Another year needs to be given to Gilbert with his players. If that fails then yes, an OC change needs to made. I can’t justify letting an OC go after 1.6 seasons.

Are you blaming the Houston game or the UCF game on our offense?