• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Allen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I have not been a huge fan of CWT in the past.  But while in Miami I had a discussion with a respected member of his staff.  I learned that the former AD who hired Taggart put some stipulations as to what qualifications the staff he hired needed.  So CWT was handcuffed a bit as to which coaches he could hire.  This last go-round he was able to hire the guys he wanted.  After that discussion I am more of believer that CWT is the right guy for the job.

And here I was thinking there is no way I could have a lower opinion of DW...

That does make sense. I'd question a coach who takes a job under those conditions - but that definitely makes me feel better about his potential.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Just now, Rocky Style said:

He is!

I'm not 100% there but much, much closer than before.  I still question the sudden change in his offensive philosophy, that is, why it took more than 2 years to abandon it.  If you were willing to change then I think he could have realized sooner that we didn't have the personnel.  Also, burning the redshirt on Flowers last year and the punter on Monday are things I'm not sold on.  But, again, not bashing  - just why I'm not 100%.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

2 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I'm not 100% there but much, much closer than before.  I still question the sudden change in his offensive philosophy, that is, why it took more than 2 years to abandon it.  If you were willing to change then I think he could have realized sooner that we didn't have the personnel.  Also, burning the redshirt on Flowers last year and the punter on Monday are things I'm not sold on.  But, again, not bashing  - just why I'm not 100%.

I don't get it either, but I have to give him credit for doing it...

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Joey Knight Retweeted

Bob Shoop declines Gus Malzahn offer to discuss well-paid Auburn defensive coordinator job http://s.pennlive.com/sGOSELF  via @pennlive

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I don't get it either, but I have to give him credit for doing it...

Well he was at a point if he didn't use them the fans may have ripped his head off. Flowers was a dual threat said by recruiters and I was on the band wagon of use him because he does make things more exciting.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

22 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:
 Joey Knight Retweeted

Bob Shoop declines Gus Malzahn offer to discuss well-paid Auburn defensive coordinator job http://s.pennlive.com/sGOSELF  via @pennlive

No way Allen goes to Auburn now -if they came back to him and offered. Again, I thank WKU for their 45 points.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

40 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Isn't that a little bit contradictory? On one hand you're saying it's a sudden change and and the next wondering why it took so long. Can't really fault him for giving it one more year, though. Really don't want to be changing offenses on a year to year basis. As far as having the personnel, the qb's he had in that first Spring game were Floyd, Miller, Eveld x 2 and Eppes. He probably wanted to see how it would work with a decent qb that also had a Spring game under his belt.

I wasn't crazy about his utilization of QF last year, either, but now it's pretty obvious that he saw something special in him and wanted to try and get him going as soon as he could. Maybe that experience under fire last year speeded up the learning process this year. As far as the punter goes, it was unfortunate but still leaves us with 3 years to get another one in here.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

25 minutes ago, TimBulla said:

No way Allen goes to Auburn now -if they came back to him and offered. Again, I thank WKU for their 45 points.

No way Allen doubles or triples his salary because his feelings art hurt? 

ROFLMAO

He would take the offer in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

We have a transfer punter sitting out. Not sure of 1st name but his last name is Ruggles.  Know his Mother real well.  He was not taken to the game even though he works out with the team.  Maybe he will also help this coming year.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

38 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Isn't that a little bit contradictory? On one hand you're saying it's a sudden change and and the next wondering why it took so long. Can't really fault him for giving it one more year, though. Really don't want to be changing offenses on a year to year basis. As far as having the personnel, the qb's he had in that first Spring game were Floyd, Miller, Eveld x 2 and Eppes. He probably wanted to see how it would work with a decent qb that also had a Spring game under his belt.

I wasn't crazy about his utilization of QF last year, either, but now it's pretty obvious that he saw something special in him and wanted to try and get him going as soon as he could. Maybe that experience under fire last year speeded up the learning process this year. As far as the punter goes, it was unfortunate but still leaves us with 3 years to get another one in here.

I fault him for giving it one more game after the debacle he laid on us in his debut!

Seriously though, I think nearly everyone who vaguely followed the team recognized midway through his first season he just didn't have the horses to run what he was trying to run. I absolutely fault him for not recognizing that and making the adjustments by year 2. But change has happened - and things look a lot better. And he does deserve a lot of credit for the QF recognition as well as obviously very stout recruiting.

• Upvote 1