• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Allen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

I like Allen and hope he stays. But here are some reasons I think he will stay, Auburn can pay big money so they need a slam dunk, Allen has 1 year as DC and the bowl outing did not make him look good, so that would be a reach for Auburn at this time.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,056
  • Days Won:  38

Continuity is a good thing.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Doubt is a great thing -make that Doughty.

WKU and their 45 points on national TV will certainly make the Auburn tree-huggers think twice. Let's hope it's enough!

Lose a bowl game, save a defensive coordinator? I'd take it, if I can get it.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah that showing in bowl was bad if defense pitched a shutout he would be hired. 

Maybe defense played bad to make Allen look bad and keep him another year.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

4 minutes ago, TimBulla said:

Doubt is a great thing -make that Doughty.

WKU and their 45 points on national TV will certainly make the Auburn tree-huggers think twice. Let's hope it's enough!

Lose a bowl game, save a defensive coordinator? I'd take it, if I can get it.

I strongly disagree with this reasoning.  By extension of that logic we can keep our coaching staff intact as long as we stink.

That being said I suspect you are putting a positive spin on the loss and I get that (at least we get to keep Allen).

Allen has a lot of work to do.  

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

37 minutes ago, JTrue said:

But we have beaches!

Well I'm glad someone brought that up.  And did you hear about the WEATHER?!?

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

Just conjecture here, but two diehard Auburn fans, guys I grew up with called Auburn, and I quote, "one match away from a dumpster fire".  The fan base is 'fed up' with underperformance and  it seems most believe if 2016 is a repeat performance of 2015 then the entire staff likely will get wiped out on both sides of the ball.  Again, just conjecture, but something to consider is that should AU underperform next year Allen could be looking for a new job during Christmas in 2016. This was an interesting perspective from AU fans and perhaps could be an influence on taking a job with Auburn considering the current atmosphere there.  Myself, Id take the risk.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

1 minute ago, dclenden said:

Just conjecture here, but two diehard Auburn fans, guys I grew up with called Auburn, and I quote, "one match away from a dumpster fire".  The fan base is 'fed up' with underperformance and  it seems most believe if 2016 is a repeat performance of 2015 then the entire staff likely will get wiped out on both sides of the ball.  Again, just conjecture, but something to consider is that should AU underperform next year Allen could be looking for a new job during Christmas in 2016. This was an interesting perspective from AU fans and perhaps could be an influence on taking a job with Auburn considering the current atmosphere there.  Myself, Id take the risk.

we were in the same situation before this year

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

There are no free lunches. If Auburn is paying all that cash, they will put on the thumb screws. They have learned after Muskrat took the money and parlayed the job into the SC head coach position.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

One factor that others have not mentioned is that Allen's son is in his senior year at Plant High.  Not completely sure, but I think his son is playing football. If that is the case Plant's coach has a lot of contacts to help his players get into the next level. Also,  it's harder to pick up and move children in their senior year. Yes I know there are other factors such as the money etc. but this was just one that was not mentioned. So I thought I would bring it up as another possible factor in the decision.

• Upvote 1