• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Allen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

12 minutes ago, nobullaboutit said:

One factor that others have not mentioned is that Allen's son is in his senior year at Plant High.  Not completely sure, but I think his son is playing football. If that is the case Plant's coach has a lot of contacts to help his players get into the next level. Also,  it's harder to pick up and move children in their senior year. Yes I know there are other factors such as the money etc. but this was just one that was not mentioned. So I thought I would bring it up as another possible factor in the decision.

That is  a valid point, but at this level, you don't move your family. You go off to work, let your son finish his senior year in Tampa and let everyone  be productive. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, JTrue said:

Is your buddy a guy who's in the know? Or were they in line at Publix and Allen just figured he'd start telling randoms in USF gear he's out the door and no one in the media picked up on this?

Like I said, take it for what you will. I wasn't claiming to know anything. I was just sharing a conversation that was relayed to me. No, he's not "in the know", but struck up a convo with our DC and the way he responded led him to believe that. He took a pic with him and Coach Allen joked suggesting he share it on social media so that people know he's still in Tampa. He also said Coach Allen mentioned a few times that it was a tough choice. 

However, now it seems there is more info today that Auburn may be still on the search and that he either wasn't offered or decided to turn the job down. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

54 minutes ago, nobullaboutit said:

One factor that others have not mentioned is that Allen's son is in his senior year at Plant High.  Not completely sure, but I think his son is playing football. If that is the case Plant's coach has a lot of contacts to help his players get into the next level. Also,  it's harder to pick up and move children in their senior year. Yes I know there are other factors such as the money etc. but this was just one that was not mentioned. So I thought I would bring it up as another possible factor in the decision.

You are correct in his son playing for Plant,

http://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Allen-79419

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

re: Official DC search thread(Posted on 12/24/15 at 10:33 am to RockyMtnTigerWDE)
I just read Phillip Marshall's DC Update.  

**He said Chad Kelly turned us down  
(obviously). 

**There were serious discussions between Auburn and Penn State DC Bob Shop but in the end he stayed.  

**Mutual interest between Malzahn and Todd Grantham 

**Rumblings that Paul Rhodes could be a person of interest, but nothing more than talk right now.  

**On USF DC Tom Allen...Many thought he would be named DC soon after USFs game. The fact that didn't happen and still hasn't is likely telling that Gus hasn't made a decision or is going in another direction.  

**Gus wants to name a DC by January 8th. 

**If Tom Allen isn't named DC soon then tune into the Louisville / Texas A&M game Wednesday and watch Grantham  

This post was edited on 12/24 at 10:35 am

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

All signs point toward Tom is in Tampa next year... I wouldn't think the bowl game performance would be a game changer but at least timing wise seems that might have scared Auburn.

Dissapointed in some ways - it is great to have Tom but would have loved to see Willie "demonstrate" his ability to hire assistants again. Obviously his first bite at the apple was pretty atrocious - good opportunity for him to demonstrate he has matured.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

5 minutes ago, USF_Grouper said:

All signs point toward Tom is in Tampa next year... I wouldn't think the bowl game performance would be a game changer but at least timing wise seems that might have scared Auburn.

Dissapointed in some ways - it is great to have Tom but would have loved to see Willie "demonstrate" his ability to hire assistants again. Obviously his first bite at the apple was pretty atrocious - good opportunity for him to demonstrate he has matured.

He can demonstrate it next year.  It's nice to have some continuity going into next year.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Just now, Rocky Style said:

He can demonstrate it next year.  It's nice to have some continuity going into next year.

That is a fair point- i mean we already signed his extension so it isn't like next year is a referendum year anyway...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

8 minutes ago, USF_Grouper said:

I have not been a huge fan of CWT in the past.  But while in Miami I had a discussion with a respected member of his staff.  I learned that the former AD who hired Taggart put some stipulations as to what qualifications the staff he hired needed.  So CWT was handcuffed a bit as to which coaches he could hire.  This last go-round he was able to hire the guys he wanted.  After that discussion I am more of believer that CWT is the right guy for the job.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I have not been a huge fan of CWT in the past.  But while in Miami I had a discussion with a respected member of his staff.  I learned that the former AD who hired Taggart put some stipulations as to what qualifications the staff he hired needed.  So CWT was handcuffed a bit as to which coaches he could hire.  This last go-round he was able to hire the guys he wanted.  After that discussion I am more of believer that CWT is the right guy for the job.

He is!