• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Build the offense around Bench!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I can't be the only one who thinks with the right coaching Bench is a serviceable D1 qb. I just don't think he's gotten the chance to develop.

I agree and have said this before

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

The one thing I assume we can all agree on is that he shouldn't start one QB and then make some weird, arbtrarily-timed and unbreakable pinky promise to the other than they will get some specific series late in the game regardless of how the other is doing or what the situation is. How bizarre that was...

I don't think anyone will argue against that. And his explanation of why he did it was, just sad...

I think it comes down to what CWT has said over the years, at least his fundamental belief about football. It is the idea that football strategy is perfect and that there are only a few schemes and plays that get repeated over and over, again. It is all about execution.

So, when he puts in another QB, it's not about the play or why he did it, it's just about the QB carrying out what CWT believes are "perfect plans and plays."

*Sigh* :facepalm:

But who am I to argue. I don't make a million+ a year coaching football.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

The one thing I assume we can all agree on is that he shouldn't start one QB and then make some weird, arbtrarily-timed and unbreakable pinky promise to the other than they will get some specific series late in the game regardless of how the other is doing or what the situation is. How bizarre that was...

I don't think anyone will argue against that. And his explanation of why he did it was, just sad...

I think it comes down to what CWT has said over the years, at least his fundamental belief about football. It is the idea that football strategy is perfect and that there are only a few schemes and plays that get repeated over and over, again. It is all about execution.

So, when he puts in another QB, it's not about the play or why he did it, it's just about the QB carrying out what CWT believes are "perfect plans and plays."

*Sigh* :facepalm:

But who am I to argue. I don't make a million+ a year coaching football.

In theory, sure. Every play is going to work. The defense doesn't know what's coming. You have multiple options available on a pass. If executed and run through the progressions properly, you're going to have success more often than not. When you look at film, I bet on every passing play someone is open. In reality, the pass rush, coverage, a WR screwing up the route, etc. means you're going to have to rely on the guy with the ball in his hand to make it work. There just aren't enough guys out there who can make most plays work either through their own skill level, coaching, whatever. We have one of those guys. I really don't care what the reason is behind why his plays aren't working. They're not. It's CWT's job to make them work with the tools he has at his disposal. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

I know (hope) the bye week is good for us, but I really want to see what happens against Memphis and don't want to wait.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I know (hope) the bye week is good for us, but I really want to see what happens against Memphis and don't want to wait.

Looking forward to watching Memphis play  Cincinnati tonight. Memphis has faced some really bad defenses the first 3 weeks, not that Cinci is any better but it will still be a better gauge than the previous 3 match ups... 

Lynch is the real deal but if we can sustain long drives on offense next week then we might have a shot against Memphis. WE are the Kings of 3-4 yard plays :)

I am still hopeful that we can dominate most Home games this year. IMO this is where you will see our turn around....

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

Re-watched the last game vs Maryland.

QF is still better over all than Bench

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Yup, he gives us the best chance of winning. Now if Taggart could "un-vanilla" this offense, he may "eek" out a few more wins this season. I really wonder what Kinnan's function truly is. I haven't followed Kinnan's career trajectory, but I do know he's supposed to be an offensive scheme guru. None of that appears to have rubbed off on Taggart and his play calling. To be a fly on the wall during those meetings.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Yup, he gives us the best chance of winning. Now if Taggart could "un-vanilla" this offense, he may "eek" out a few more wins this season. I really wonder what Kinnan's function truly is. I haven't followed Kinnan's career trajectory, but I do know he's supposed to be an offensive scheme guru. None of that appears to have rubbed off on Taggart and his play calling. To be a fly on the wall during those meetings.

I don't really know either, but some of those big-play opportunities looked like an exploitation that was seen from the booth. Think that's going to be Kinnan's type of input. I'm hoping he was up there breaking the mic on those wideout screens.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Again, coming in cold when he did, QF should have looked better. Who gets snaps with the first team all season? Who has a chance to learn a rhythm with those receivers, who was warmed up pre-game and played all game? Bench was set up to fail.