• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Build the offense around Bench!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I predicted before the start of the season that Bench would take over after the first three games and then lead us to a bowl game. I stand by this statement.

We have good RBs; we don't need Flowers to be another RB. He can only hit wide-open receivers. Everything else, it's a prayer.

Open the game up and let Bench be in there. With the passing threat, things will open up. With Flowers, everything is going to tighten up.

Mark my word, if Flowers stay in there as the starter for the rest of the season, we are going to average about 10-13 pts per game.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I dunno, the UM game just tells me the same ol' story with Bench. Blitz, blitz, blitz and he won't be able to have time to read and make those sharp throws he did with FAMU. Bench clearly has a better arm overall, but he just can't keep plays alive. I do wish coach would have put him in to start the second half, rather than waiting until after QF had his best drive of the day though. Might have been a little different.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Flowers can only hit wide open men because the only pass plays called for him are bubble screens and streaks down the field. If they gave him some more intermediate crossing routes, or rollout throws he would probably be a lot better passing. Bench has had 5 years to become a starter here and at penn state, and he hasn't earned anything. I think that should stand for itself.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Just the short time I saw Bench in there yesterday tells me no. I like the kid and he has a lot of heart but without a good offensive line he will force passes and throw interceptions.

I go back to I said before season started this team will win only if defense is dominant and running game works. If we must depend on passing the ball we are toast.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Just the short time I saw Bench in there yesterday tells me no. I like the kid and he has a lot of heart but without a good offensive line he will force passes and throw interceptions.

I go back to I said before season started this team will win only if defense is dominant and running game works. If we must depend on passing the ball we are toast.

Well we are toast then.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Bench is servicable. Taggart is a bad coach.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

CWT will set him up for failure

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Flowers can only hit wide open men because the only pass plays called for him are bubble screens and streaks down the field. If they gave him some more intermediate crossing routes, or rollout throws he would probably be a lot better passing. Bench has had 5 years to become a starter here and at penn state, and he hasn't earned anything. I think that should stand for itself.

Go back if you can to the FAMU game and you will see how the O play calling changes substantially with Bench in there. In fact in the drive Bench was thrown into yesterday the play calling changed quite a bit for one drive. As soon as QF was put back in it was more of the same. Its not bc the plays aren't in the playbook its because those are the plays QF is able to run which are limited unfortunately... 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Go back if you can to the FAMU game and you will see how the O play calling changes substantially with Bench in there. In fact in the drive Bench was thrown into yesterday the play calling changed quite a bit for one drive. As soon as QF was put back in it was more of the same. Its not bc the plays aren't in the playbook its because those are the plays QF is able to run which are limited unfortunately...

Sounds like flowers handicaps the team.

Bad coach is bad.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I predicted before the start of the season that Bench would take over after the first three games and then lead us to a bowl game. I stand by this statement.

We have good RBs; we don't need Flowers to be another RB. He can only hit wide-open receivers. Everything else, it's a prayer.

Open the game up and let Bench be in there. With the passing threat, things will open up. With Flowers, everything is going to tighten up.

Mark my word, if Flowers stay in there as the starter for the rest of the season, we are going to average about 10-13 pts per game.

Agreed. I want to see him get a fair shot, honestly we have nothing to lose at this point. We know what we have in QF and its actually better than I thought it was going to be after seeing what he did last year. I think QF should continue to get some playtime and hopeful develop into more of a passer by the end of the year. 

At this point if CWT wants to save his job, having a servicable QB, which I think SB is, would help him win games that we would otherwise lose while QF takes his lumps...as you said we have a talented backfield which does not gain that much by having another runner back there.

There is a legit concern that the O line wont give SB the time to throw the ball, but unless we actually try we will never actually know. It will all be speculation and the bus will catch on fire going over the cliff...