• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

glad someone remembers the good old days.  That seat is just wasting away in the wasteland that was once Shuart Stadium.  Still in touch with some Georgia Southern yahoos :)

still here...older..fatter..balder.

still mourning the loss of football.  That trip down to USF back in the day was crazy.  Seems the bulls have fallen on hard times since then.  looking forward to the game tonight.  We lost to NC state by a dozen (not that close) so it should be interesting.  No fun flaming Bball.

Good to have you around, 3r20!

Yeah, how times have changed: neither of our schools have football anymore.

Fun basketball game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Where's Trip?

Heposted very early on, then nothing. I assume he was at the game, maybe didn't feel like posting from the dome?

Was at game but normally steer clear of game threads until afterwards anyway ... just posted the update from Roucou after he mentioned it in his pre game talk in Club.

So how was the atmosphere in-house?

The same as it's been for years for our small crowds, okay but not great until play on the court gets them into it. Was my first game this year so don't know how student section compared to earlier games but they didn't fill two sections but I'm giving them a pass for the awful weather. Ones that were there got into it when needed ... Another thing is the pep band grew by at least half again from last year. Don't know how many were at earlier games.

Negatives, for me anyway:

- At the risk of being called a Commie bastard, I absolutely hate it when the national anthem singers thinks it's more about them and the Garth Brooks wannabe tonight was horrible, ridiculously dragging it out. The tune is an uptempo march and should be treated that way, IMO, except on special occasions like Whitney and Jimi.

- THAT guy is doing the "entertainment" part of basketball games now, too ... At least I think it's the same one as at RayJay.

- The new stat screens they have up in two corners royally suck compared to last year. Names are cut off worse than the old ones and they don't have the interesting stats like running FT%, FG%, 3 PT FG% numbers any longer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Where's Trip?

Heposted very early on, then nothing. I assume he was at the game, maybe didn't feel like posting from the dome?

Was at game but normally steer clear of game threads until afterwards anyway ... just posted the update from Roucou after he mentioned it in his pre game talk in Club.

The same as it's been for years for our small crowds, okay but not great until play on the court gets them into it. Was my first game this year so don't know how student section compared to earlier games but they didn't fill two sections but I'm giving them a pass for the awful weather. Ones that were there got into it when needed ... Another thing is the pep band grew by at least half again from last year. Don't know how many were at earlier games.

- At the risk of being called a Commie bastard, I absolutely hate it when the national anthem singers thinks it's more about them and the Garth Brooks wannabe tonight was horrible, ridiculously dragging it out. The tune is an uptempo march and should be treated that way, IMO, except on special occasions like Whitney and Jimi.

- THAT guy is doing the "entertainment" part of basketball games now, too ... At least I think it's the same one as at RayJay.

- The new stat screens they have up in two corners royally suck compared to last year. Names are cut off worse than the old ones and they don't have the interesting stats like running FT%, FG%, 3 PT FG% numbers any longer.

I've noticed that too.  Not an improvement at all.

Couple of things I noticed tonight - my first regular season game since we were on our Dallas/Memphis road trip.  They had cheerleaders and maybe dancers on the steps until our first basket was scored and then they went down to the floor.

Believe it was the beginning of the 2nd half and the "entertainment" guy did get some people to stand.  We actually talked the couple in front of us into remaining standing until we scored our first bucket of the first half.  Would be nice to see something like that start up for the beginning of each half.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Totally agree about the scoreboards. We should let them know as they probably think its an upgrade. As for standing I think its a cool thing for students to do but after a long week of work I like sit and stand when I feel like it lol.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Where's Trip?

I've noticed that too.  Not an improvement at all.

Couple of things I noticed tonight - my first regular season game since we were on our Dallas/Memphis road trip.  They had cheerleaders and maybe dancers on the steps until our first basket was scored and then they went down to the floor.

Believe it was the beginning of the 2nd half and the "entertainment" guy did get some people to stand.  We actually talked the couple in front of us into remaining standing until we scored our first bucket of the first half.  Would be nice to see something like that start up for the beginning of each half.

Our son is a student and he and a friend went and had great time.  They drove over from Largo.  He would like to make it more than he does but work and classes make it very difficult.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

Lol come on guys, we are already talking about him doing well enough for him to leave. Its 5 games in. Lets bring it down a notch

cant envision any scenario COA is a bust. All the dude knows is success, workin with that find-a-way-to-win swagger god given fr the NY streets.

Also, Calipari pedigree, recruiting prowess, set-up-to-win conference, i.e., poised to "turn around a historically bad program"

When he pans out, his stock will be higher than most

All tht said, I fully understand dynamics of ncaam coaching carousel far different from ncaaf. Maybe he'll get comfy and turn us into a butler/Xavier/gonzag..

One can dream

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Caught bits & pieces while visting family and sneaking peeks.  Tucked the phone away with 9 or so left, down 13 or so.  Pulled into the driveway, turned it on with 3 minutes left and watched an amazing finish.

This team has a lot of growing to do, and needs to get tougher in the middle, but these guys never quit and we're seeing excellent leadership from Allen, Collins and Perry.  Young guys are emerging.

It's early, but our season record is going to be greatly impacted by how we win/loss these close ones or off nights.  To me, I had this in the "now we're 3-2" bucket, but am thrilled to be 4-1...should be 5-1 headed to Bama.

Again, lots to work on, but this is a fun team to watch.

Dead on.

Is 35 Ziegler?  He should never shoot the ball from more than 10' out but he played really hard around the basket. COA mentioned in his post game radio show (that we actually stayed around for because the Mrs. was so jacked up about the win she didn't want to leave) that he helped boost the whole team with his energy.

And speaking of leaving - that is a huge difference between the past 2 years and this year.  Had this been CSH's team down by 11 with about 4 minutes to go, we would have been headed to the parking lot.  I wasn't confident about coming back but thought we might make it interesting.  We were rewarded for sticking it out which will lead to us staying later into games this year.

Just watching this live I wasn't overly impressed with how we attacked their zone for most of the game.  Looked similar to last year a lot of the time.  We seem to be able to run plays better against a man D as of right now.  And that inbounds play from the baseline where they lob it into a big man just doesn't seem like it can lead to anything good.  There was some bad passes and they doubled Cousins one time forcing him into an offensive foul.  Just don't know what good giving the ball to a big in the corner will do.  Maybe it was just the execution of the play tonight. 

Cory Allen Jr was money down the stretch.  What a fun game to watch.  AC got out of control a couple of times but for the most part kept his composure. 

I'm not a big X's and O's guy but I was wondering the same thing. I actually thought Jaleel dribbled it off his foot before he charged but let's not get into an officiating discussion. After they tried it again to Perry a little later that ended in another turnover, we were again wondering what is the ultimate goal on that play supposed to be ...

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

Where is the clown that says we are winning 20 games?

Is someone looking for me? That's 4 wins. This game, along with our other wins this season so far have shown the character of these athletes on this team. Their dedication to the last buzzer, hustle, poise, and resiliency have been evident in each of these wins. These wins also show the competence and basketball knowledge that this coaching staff has over previous years' staff. I've been saying it and will continue to say it, THIS YEAR IS DIFFERENT. This team is talented and coachable and we have the proper coach to do it. This team WILL win 20+ games. These early games are for building teamwork, learning about one another as teammates and also for working out the kinks of a young, inexperienced team. A bad coach would not be able to do things, but a coach that knows what he is doing is able to use this time and these experiences to accomplish what needs to be accomplished in the early going. Keep bashing me but with each and every win, more and more of you will decide to join the bandwagon of success. We'll be happy to have you, but don't attack the original people who saw this team for who they are early on. Go Bulls! Here's to 4-1 and soon to be 5-1 with their win over Jacksonville this Saturday. Alabama and Detroit Mercy will both be challenges on the road but will be very good wins (possibly taking us to 7-1) to have on our resume come March. Then we have more LIKELY wins against FSU and SE Louisiana and possible win vs GA Southern. Seton Hall and Bowling Green will be another test before conference play begins. Worst Case: we enter conference play: 8-5 in my opinion. Best Case: We win out: 12-1 going into conference play. Perhaps meeting in the middle at 10-3 before taking on SMU on New Years Eve is a good guess. I'll take it. Half way or better to those 20 wins before conference play begins.

Edited by USFBulls12

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

I have us at 17-13 this season. Still a huge improvement over last year

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

I think 20 wins is possible. Louisville and Rutgers are replaced by Tulsa, Tulane, and East Carolina in the conference. Some definite downgrades there. Also UConn and SMU look to have dropped off a bit and Memphis hasn't looked good at all.