• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Taggart is staring at a 4-8 season in a terribly weak AAC. I suspect he gets a third year but some coaching changes may be coming on his staff. USF cannot afford a 5th straight losing season and alienate what little fans remain.

I think many on this board would be surprised if Taggart was let go after this season but Taggart is not Harlan's guy, and he is seeing what the on field performance is doing to the turnstile. Beyond the record that are many red flags about Taggart and his style of coaching/scheme. Harlan may limp along for a 3rd year but anything short of a bowl game next year and Taggart is gone - good luck with the quarterbacks we have.

If Harlan knows Taggart isn't his guy then it's better to pull the plug on it now.

Taggart is doing a tremendous job in recruiting.  anyone thinking this year was better than 4 wins doesn't understand where we are in terms of rebuilding. it takes time and recruits.

as far as his red flags I think it's fair to say that no coach at this level will be a "guru" or extraordinary gameday coach. He is young and can learn to be but he wouldn't be coaching here if he already were. Leavitt and Holtz both left a lot to be desired when it came to managing a game or making adjustments and gameplanning. Holtz had 1 offense ranked better than 60th in the country. we were ranked #93 in 2010 in total offense. I think execution has far more to do with it than scheme.

White will be fine. He is a true sophomore. He didn't have the luxury of sitting on the bench and learning the college game until he was a redshirt junior or senior which many QBs do. Sure we have had to endure his growing pains out in the open but he will be fine if he learns from his mistakes.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Taggart is staring at a 4-8 season in a terribly weak AAC. I suspect he gets a third year but some coaching changes may be coming on his staff. USF cannot afford a 5th straight losing season and alienate what little fans remain.

I think many on this board would be surprised if Taggart was let go after this season but Taggart is not Harlan's guy, and he is seeing what the on field performance is doing to the turnstile. Beyond the record that are many red flags about Taggart and his style of coaching/scheme. Harlan may limp along for a 3rd year but anything short of a bowl game next year and Taggart is gone - good luck with the quarterbacks we have.

If Harlan knows Taggart isn't his guy then it's better to pull the plug on it now.

Taggart is doing a tremendous job in recruiting.  anyone thinking this year was better than 4 wins doesn't understand where we are in terms of rebuilding. it takes time and recruits.

as far as his red flags I think it's fair to say that no coach at this level will be a "guru" or extraordinary gameday coach. He is young and can learn to be but he wouldn't be coaching here if he already were. Leavitt and Holtz both left a lot to be desired when it came to managing a game or making adjustments and gameplanning. Holtz had 1 offense ranked better than 60th in the country. we were ranked #93 in 2010 in total offense. I think execution has far more to do with it than scheme.

White will be fine. He is a true sophomore. He didn't have the luxury of sitting on the bench and learning the college game until he was a redshirt junior or senior which many QBs do. Sure we have had to endure his growing pains out in the open but he will be fine if he learns from his mistakes.

You can enroll in the fan site for his next job as an assistant and tell them how wonderful Willie Taggart is.  He's gone.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

You can enroll in the fan site for his next job as an assistant and tell them how wonderful Willie Taggart is.  He's gone.

sorry but he is not gone. I'm a USF fan. If Taggart gets to year 3 and doesn't get to a bowl and year 4 and doesn't compete for conference than I agree he should be gone.

Personally I think a coach needs more than 2 years for a total rebuild

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Remember how terrible the Memphis football program was?  Their current coach is 1 year ahead of Taggart in the rebuilding process.  His records in years 1 and 2 were terrible, and in year 3(this season), he started 3-3 and then won 6 straight.  His players bought in, and "got it."  It takes awhile to change the culture.

Let's reevaluate after year 3.

Edited by BigShoop
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

Remember how terrible the Memphis football program was?  Their current coach is 1 year ahead of Taggart in the rebuilding process.  His records in years 1 and 2 were terrible, and in year 3(this season), he started 3-3 and then won 6 straight.  His players bought in, and "got it."  It takes awhile to change the culture.

This needs to be emphasized ... Fuentes 3 wins last year were against two "directional" Tennessee teams and us. Taggart may or may not be the one but to give him less that 3 years is totally irrational ... especially since the most of the ones whining about CWT told us that Holtz had completely destroyed USF football.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,047
  • Days Won:  38

He needs a 3rd year...  Unless we have some rock star in the waiting, which we don't.  Nor could we pay 3 coaches, right?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Absolutely, he'll get the third year. I'm really rooting for the guy to get it righted, I want to look forward to games again.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839

The difference is that Memphis lost 5 games by 10 points or less last year and were starting a freshman in Lynch who has turned out to be a stud this year. They also won convincingly when they won. They lost 2 games where they held the lead with 2 minutes to go and many others where they were competitive into the 4th quarter. I would feel alot better about being 4-7 if we had a stud QB who was still learning as a freshman and we lost some tight games we could have won and beat some bad teams convincingly. In reality any decent team has beat us handily and the games against the worst of the worst have been a struggle.

Edited by bullsfan1983

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Stop pulling your QB after he leada a scoring drive. It is stupid

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Remember how terrible the Memphis football program was? Their current coach is 1 year ahead of Taggart in the rebuilding process. His records in years 1 and 2 were terrible, and in year 3(this season), he started 3-3 and then won 6 straight. His players bought in, and "got it." It takes awhile to change the culture.

The difference is that Memphis lost 5 games by 10 points or less last year and were starting a freshman in Lynch who has turned out to be a stud this year. They also won convincingly when they won. They lost 2 games where they held the lead with 2 minutes to go and many others where they were competitive into the 4th quarter. I would feel alot better about being 4-7 if we had a stud QB who was still learning as a freshman and we lost some tight games we could have won and beat some bad teams convincingly. In reality any decent team has beat us handily and the games against the worst of the worst have been a struggle.

Those are the things you look for as you are building. Being close in losses, with a young team and being able to see you are just a year of physical development or a player or two away gives confidence for the future.

When you look at our program, we look to be two more recruiting classes away from being where Memphis was last year.