• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I can't believe this thread is still going...

Wait...

No I'm not.

Edited by Skingraft
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

I can't believe this thread is still going...

Wait...

No I'm not.

If Memphis destroys us we can have a few more similar ones.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

Joel Miller had 11 catches at WR in Holtz' first year. Is he one of the stud WRs that Leavitt left behind for Holtz? Or were you referring to walk-on QB Bobby Eveld as one of the studs of the "stacked team" Leavitt left him?

Seriously, did Taggart sleep with your sister or something. You're so far beyond delusional its probably a waste for me to even bother, but Leavitt left a WR corp of Sterling Griffin, Dontavia Bogan, AJ Love, Evan Landi & Lindsey Lamar (and theoretically Carlton Mitchell, who decided to bolt rather than play for Holtz) . I'd say that far exceeds what Taggart was left. And Holtz inherited BJ, an above average to good QB, while Taggart was left with 2 QBs who would struggle to start at the FCS level. Holtz was also left with a defense that just finished 19th in the country giving up only 19.8 pts/game. Taggart inherited a defense that was giving up 27.4 pts/game.

You may question coaching, but if seriously don't think their was a huge (and I mean HUGE) talent gap to what each coach was left, you simply should stop commenting on football.

Carlton Mitchell declared for the draft the same day Leavitt was fired. He had likely decided to declare even before he knew Leavitt was gone. It clearly had nothing to do with Holtz. So that's a fail.

Landi was a TE and Lamar was a WR. They both played WR because there was no one else to suit up once Love and Griffin got hurt.

Thanks for bringing up Griffin, because he bolted when Taggart showed up and went to play for Holtz.

So Leavitt left a total of five WRs for Holtz. And Leavitt used to run five wide sets all the time. There should have been easily 10 to 12 scholly receivers.

Once gain I'll remind you that JOEL MILLER was tied for 4TH on the team in receptions in 2010. That is still unbelievable to me how Holtz got that team to eight wins.

And you really are going to tell me that a good job of recruiting WRs by Leavitt? Really?

:roflmao:

The WR core when Holtz left was far deeper and more talented. There were a couple of other WRs that bailed at the same time as Griffin when Taggart showed up with his two yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Rather than just taking your usual warped spin on things, let them figure out for themselves who did the best job of recruiting wr's left for succeeding coaches:

Leavitt's

Bogan

Griffin

Hopkins

Hornes

Knowles

Love

Mitchell

Holtz's

Bravo-Brown

Davis

Dunkley

Mut

Welch

Holtz's "far deeper and more talented"? I don't see it ....

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

Joel Miller had 11 catches at WR in Holtz' first year.  Is he one of the stud WRs that Leavitt left behind for Holtz?  Or were you referring to walk-on QB Bobby Eveld as one of the studs of the "stacked team" Leavitt left him?

Seriously, did Taggart sleep with your sister or something.  You're so far beyond delusional its probably a waste for me to even bother, but Leavitt left a WR corp of Sterling Griffin, Dontavia Bogan, AJ Love, Evan Landi & Lindsey Lamar (and theoretically Carlton Mitchell, who decided to bolt rather than play for Holtz) .  I'd say that far exceeds what Taggart was left.  And Holtz inherited BJ, an above average to good QB, while Taggart was left with 2 QBs who would struggle to start at the FCS level.  Holtz was also left with a defense that just finished 19th in the country giving up only 19.8 pts/game.   Taggart inherited a defense that was giving up 27.4 pts/game.  

You may question coaching, but if seriously don't think their was a huge (and I mean HUGE) talent gap to what each coach was left, you simply should stop commenting on football.

Landi was at QB and moved to wr and Lamar was a RB, moved to WR because they were short at that position.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Joel Miller had 11 catches at WR in Holtz' first year.  Is he one of the stud WRs that Leavitt left behind for Holtz?  Or were you referring to walk-on QB Bobby Eveld as one of the studs of the "stacked team" Leavitt left him?

Seriously, did Taggart sleep with your sister or something.  You're so far beyond delusional its probably a waste for me to even bother, but Leavitt left a WR corp of Sterling Griffin, Dontavia Bogan, AJ Love, Evan Landi & Lindsey Lamar (and theoretically Carlton Mitchell, who decided to bolt rather than play for Holtz) .  I'd say that far exceeds what Taggart was left.  And Holtz inherited BJ, an above average to good QB, while Taggart was left with 2 QBs who would struggle to start at the FCS level.  Holtz was also left with a defense that just finished 19th in the country giving up only 19.8 pts/game.   Taggart inherited a defense that was giving up 27.4 pts/game.  

Landi was at QB and moved to wr and Lamar was a RB, moved to WR because they were short at that position.

Right, however, this goes back to the fact that the post Shadow is referring to clearly said nothing about a stocked team.

Also, it's laughable Shadow completely ignored BJ Daniels and Bogan, Griffin, Lamar, etc and chose to focus on Eveld and Miller.

That actually makes me laugh harder and harder as I read it.

I recall Holtz saying when he arrived that there was some great talent on the team but he was surprised at the lack of talent in some positions. But, to me, that goes back to you can't make these kids sign. It happens to all teams at all levels at some positions sometimes. Saying there isn't an excuse doesn't work, this isn't the NFL with a draft and trades that players don't have much of a say in.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Bogan, Griffin, and Love all had a shot in the NFL if I recall. Griffin may not have due to injury.  Victor Marc also showed some promise at the position. I think we had Lamar, Plancher at RB, and I believe that if Holtz wasn't trying to "fix" things, we would have had Mike Ford and Jamar Taylor at RB also. As other have mentioned, Mitchell would never have bolted for nothingness if Leavitt had been retained. 

Holtz moved Landi and Lamar to WR where they were not nearly as talented as their original position.

I think most are forgetting that Landi was a QB under Leavitt's read-option offense (you know, the one where we used our athleticism to move the ball). Landi looked better than Daniels pretty much any time he was given the opportunity. Not saying he WAS better than Daniels, but, he was certainly capable of being a backup.

That team was also left on defense with... Webster, Giddins, Forte, LeJiste, Marshall, Chandler, Grissom, McClain, Barrington, Lanaris, Lattimore, J Williams, Skinny Raymond, J Young.

So... yeah, the roster... compared to when Taggart took over... was completely stocked. Who was he left with? Davis and... errr... ummmm

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Oh, Leavitt team was 19th in defense the year before Holtz showed up.

Taggart's team last year was 21st in defense with the players Holtz left for Taggart.  How does this demonstrate Holtz left no players for Taggart?

Strength of schedule? If you don't see the individual talent difference between the players, then, I have no idea what to tell you. Raymond and Webster are both NFL CBs, Barrington, Lattimore, and Williams all NFL caliber. Grissom, Giddins, Marshall, Forte... all a MILLION times better than anything we have now.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

I recall Holtz saying when he arrived that there was some great talent on the team but he was surprised at the lack of talent in some positions. 

But WR wasn't one of them and to ROFL at CJL's wr recruiting is just plain clueless ...

I recall Holtz saying when he arrived that there was some great talent on the team but he was surprised at the lack of talent in some positions. 

But WR wasn't one of them and to ROFL at CJL's wr recruiting is just plain clueless ...

From September 2010:

http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/690119/Receiver-position-still-wide-open

"... receiver is still a position of little depth and much youth."