• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

So to summarize, CWT should get 1 more year because:

1) Holtz got 3 years, therefore, CWT is required to get the same amount of time

2) this year's team might be better than the team got Holtz fired

To me, EVERY coach should get at least 3 years to see what he can do with primarily his players on the roster .... 

John L Smith, Arkansas.  Arkansas would have been completely insane to let him coach more than one year.  It is never a good idea to use works like EVERY.

steviewonder.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

To me, EVERY coach should get at least 3 years to see what he can do with primarily his players on the roster .... 

John L Smith, Arkansas.  Arkansas would have been completely insane to let him coach more than one year.  It is never a good idea to use works like EVERY.

That is true. There are mitigating circumstances at times .... but just to be clear, USF =/= Arkansas .... by a long shot.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

flaming-bag-of-shit.jpg

^ You used far too many far's to be credible, Shadow. The post-BJ Holtz games were very revealing as to how we would fare in the future with Holtz. Mercifully, we didn't have to find out.

Ok.  Let's not base a decision on two years, but instead on three games.  That makes a LOT of sense.  :rolleyes

YOU set the criteria by saying "This team is far, far worse than the worst USF team under Holtz". His WORST team would be the one he fielded without BJ against Pitt .... but go right ahead and change the playing field .... It's to be expected.

You really like to argue with me, don't you?  Most rational people consider a "team" an entire season, not a couple of cherry picked games.

Then how can you assess this year's "team", then?

..... And yeah, I do like arguing with you. You're like an old time Homecoming game.

Yeah, because 83% of a season is exactly like 25% of a season.   :facepalm:

If you had said that Holtz's worst team included BJ, no one would have bothered to question it ...

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

n%C3%BCkleer-patlama-izlerken-dinlenecek

Real mans bon fire

REALLY real man's bonfire

space_explosion_by_bgates87-d7lv3u6.jpg

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you.  I am not even saying Taggart shouldn't get a third year, but the factor that puts Harlan in a difficult situation is not just the Wins and Losses, it is the rapidly declining attendance and overall interest in the program.  That cannot be ignored.  

The problem I have with Taggart is even though he is not winning, the product on the field is boring.  Even if we manage to get to 6 wins next year (I know it is still possible this year, I just don't see it).  This will more than likely be a team that struggles mightily on offense.  It will still be a boring team to watch and there still won't be many fans in the seats.  Especially given our  relatively weak (Appeal for fans I am talking about) home schedule.  

I am trying to look at things from Harlan's perspective.  He was not hired to run the football program.  That is Taggart's job.  Harlan's job is to sell tickets and raise money for the school through donors.  If Harlan is fine with a declining fan base  and the donors are still coughing up cash and the administration is comfortable waiting at least another two years before revenue starts an upward swing, then everyone else should be cool with it.  

If the administration is fine with a declining fan base I have to question why they kicked Woolard into a nothing job until his retirement and saw the need to bring in Harlan.  Woolard was very capable of putting together strong future schedules, The soccer and tennis teams would have done just as well under Woolard for another year, I am sure Woolard was capable of finding a basketball coach as good Heath.  

My point is that Harlan was brought in to do a job.  While the W-L record is on Taggart, the sale-ability of the program and revenue generation for the university is on Harlan. I believe ultimately, it will be what is going on with the donors and quite frankly with the expectations and timetable given to Harlan to produce an upward swing in ticket sales, revenue and donations.  

Look at this situation from a business perspective, as it is and it is less about on the field record than it is about money.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,960
  • Days Won:  12

Harlan at LEAST needs to have a talk with Taggart and they need to discuss how he is dealing with the fanbase. 

I don't know if Taggart is outright lying, or legitimately confused, but he isn't instilling confidence and loyalty in us. And that was all we had until recently: hope Taggart could pull it off. Now that's gone. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

There have been signs of some well coached games.  Wisconsin and ECU were two of them.  I definitely think he needs a full 3 years to see this through before a knee jerk reaction. 

There are some key pieces missing from an offense like this to work:

- Running backs that have man strength (our true frosh are good but don't have this yet.  Tice shows that he can now finally run through some arm tackles as an example)

- O-lineman that are better than what Holtz brought in (Knox, Gibbons, etc are on the way).  Need a top JUCO recruit that starts too.

- TE's that can block

- A QB that is confident and is a leader

I think next year, some of these pieces will be in place and then we can judge better.

The well coached games were eventually lost due to coaching decisions, if I recall correctly.

Please, if possible, elaborate on the coaching decisions that caused the losses to UW and ECU ....

The same thing they have done most of the year. Not adjust the game plan. When the opposing teams we've played had problems on either side of the ball they have adjusted the game plan. That seems to be a foreign concept to CWT.

So just more of the usual generalities that basically CWT sucks .... Thanks for the insight.

It may be generalizations to you,but anyone can watch a game and see that a team does the same thing over and over,the same plays on the same down, the same defense on every play and it either works or doesn't. And when it works and the other team adjusts, at the half, like Wisconsin, and your team comes out running the same plays on the same downs 90% of the time, like the first half and it no longer works, when they don't adjust, it's a given they lose the game. Pulling a QB is CWT's only adjustment he appears to know.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

I was extremely excited about CWT coming in here.  I love his attitude and how he recruits.  He's a great guy, and he's very approachable and friendly.

The big problem is, he lost me on game 1 in 2013.  There was no excuse for that performance.  Based on what he said, we had been preparing for that game for quite a while.  We got completely owned that night.  There was no discipline, no heart...people can still smell that loss all the way up to Ocala.  Many people blamed Holtz for the condition that he left the program in.  I thought Holtz did a horrible job here, but there is still NO EXCUSE for that performance.  We have more scholarships, better talent, etc.  We've all seen an FBS team get beaten by and FCS team.  We didn't get beaten; we got schooled in the game of football.  I was hoping that that performance would not be indicative of the Willie Taggart era, but it really has so far.

Since then, I don't know how many games later but I know since then we have won a total of 3 home games, I've been giving CWT a chance to earn back my trust and confidence.  I really hope he succeeds, but it is not looking good at this point.  I would love more than anything to see the Bulls win out, but I'm just not feeling it.

Go Bulls!