• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Comparing Holtz to Taggart really isn't fair. Leavitt left Holtz with a solid QB, good WRs, and a relatively dominant defense. Holtz left Taggart with a dumpster fire. When Holtz took over, we were coming off of a bowl win, a season where we beat FSU, and a chance to move forward. Taggart came in to a defeated culture with no real hope.

Having said that, Taggart has not done a good job in any area except recruiting. I'm sorry, but, this program was constructed like the great UM teams in the past. Recruit freak athletes, make them hungry by reminding them that no one else wanted them, find some gems, play tough physical football, and play with passion. Holtz and Taggart have not found that. It takes a special coach. I never complained about the personal fouls under Leavitt. Generally, they were not blatantly dirty, they came from playing through the whistle and not having full control of emotions.

UM has declined because they do not play that style any more. In their prime, if UM had FSU on the ropes like they did last weekend, they would have went for the throat in the second half. It would have been "run it up" time. USF did that against Louisville in 2005. We didn't play the games not to lose, we played to dominate to the best of our ability. Taggart doesn't have that mentality. He doesn't inspire lesser athletes to play beyond their talent. You want to win with an under-funded program, you win with passion. There is none of that left in this program.

We are 5 years into the post Jim Leavitt era, and I hope that those that took the first opportunity to force him out are realizing how truly devastating it was to lose him. Go ahead, criticize me for saying it, but, this program took a very wrong turn the day he was fired, and Harlan has a brutal task to try to get it back on course.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Comparing Holtz to Taggart really isn't fair. Leavitt left Holtz with a solid QB, good WRs, and a relatively dominant defense. Holtz left Taggart with a dumpster fire. When Holtz took over, we were coming off of a bowl win, a season where we beat FSU, and a chance to move forward. Taggart came in to a defeated culture with no real hope.

Having said that, Taggart has not done a good job in any area except recruiting. I'm sorry, but, this program was constructed like the great UM teams in the past. Recruit freak athletes, make them hungry by reminding them that no one else wanted them, find some gems, play tough physical football, and play with passion. Holtz and Taggart have not found that. It takes a special coach. I never complained about the personal fouls under Leavitt. Generally, they were not blatantly dirty, they came from playing through the whistle and not having full control of emotions.

UM has declined because they do not play that style any more. In their prime, if UM had FSU on the ropes like they did last weekend, they would have went for the throat in the second half. It would have been "run it up" time. USF did that against Louisville in 2005. We didn't play the games not to lose, we played to dominate to the best of our ability. Taggart doesn't have that mentality. He doesn't inspire lesser athletes to play beyond their talent. You want to win with an under-funded program, you win with passion. There is none of that left in this program.

We are 5 years into the post Jim Leavitt era, and I hope that those that took the first opportunity to force him out are realizing how truly devastating it was to lose him. Go ahead, criticize me for saying it, but, this program took a very wrong turn the day he was fired, and Harlan has a brutal task to try to get it back on course.

:applause:

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Let's not get carried away.  Holtz inherited four scholarship receivers and one (or maybe two) scholarship quarterback.  It's living in dreamland to pretend the roster was stocked.

Go ahead, look it up and tell me all the great QBs and WRs that were on the roster when Leavitt left.  I dare you to back up your statements with facts.

Joel Miller had 11 catches at WR in Holtz' first year.  Is he one of the stud WRs that Leavitt left behind for Holtz?  Or were you referring to walk-on QB Bobby Eveld as one of the studs of the "stacked team" Leavitt left him?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Let's not get carried away.  Holtz inherited four scholarship receivers and one (or maybe two) scholarship quarterback.  It's living in dreamland to pretend the roster was stocked.

Go ahead, look it up and tell me all the great QBs and WRs that were on the roster when Leavitt left.  I dare you to back up your statements with facts.

I dare you to read his post again and tell me where he said Leavitt left him a stocked roster. 

Four scholarship WRs and the 1-2 scholarship QBs that Holtz inherited are FAR greater than what Taggart inherited when he got here.  The 8-5 vs. 2-10 respective records bear that out. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I dare you to read his post again and tell me where he said Leavitt left him a stocked roster. 

Four scholarship WRs and the 1-2 scholarship QBs that Holtz inherited are FAR greater than what Taggart inherited when he got here.  The 8-5 vs. 2-10 respective records bear that out. 

That is what I thought.  "A" QB and "good" WRs does not exactly mean stocked.  But hey, to each his own.

Yeah, because the coaching ability of Holtz and Taggart has ZERO to do with on field performance.

Give me a break.

That is what I thought.  "A" QB and "good" WRs does not exactly mean stocked.  But hey, to each his own.

Holtz left here with a far better WR core than he inherited.  Several left when they saw the disaster of an offense Taggart was bringing in.  

But hey, to each his own.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Joel Miller had 11 catches at WR in Holtz' first year.  Is he one of the stud WRs that Leavitt left behind for Holtz?  Or were you referring to walk-on QB Bobby Eveld as one of the studs of the "stacked team" Leavitt left him?

Seriously, did Taggart sleep with your sister or something.  You're so far beyond delusional its probably a waste for me to even bother, but Leavitt left a WR corp of Sterling Griffin, Dontavia Bogan, AJ Love, Evan Landi & Lindsey Lamar (and theoretically Carlton Mitchell, who decided to bolt rather than play for Holtz) .  I'd say that far exceeds what Taggart was left.  And Holtz inherited BJ, an above average to good QB, while Taggart was left with 2 QBs who would struggle to start at the FCS level.  Holtz was also left with a defense that just finished 19th in the country giving up only 19.8 pts/game.   Taggart inherited a defense that was giving up 27.4 pts/game.  

You may question coaching, but if seriously don't think their was a huge (and I mean HUGE) talent gap to what each coach was left, you simply should stop commenting on football.  

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Holtz left here with a far better WR core than he inherited.  Several left when they saw the disaster of an offense Taggart was bringing in.  

But hey, to each his own.

Too funny.