• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Leavitt's
Bogan
Griffin
Hopkins
Hornes
Love

Holtz's
Bravo-Brown
Davis
Dunkley
Mut
Welch

Knowles

Montgomery

Gonzales

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,652
  • Days Won:  424

I recall Holtz saying when he arrived that there was some great talent on the team but he was surprised at the lack of talent in some positions. 

But WR wasn't one of them and to ROFL at CJL's wr recruiting is just plain clueless ...

Leavitt ran four and five wide all the time.  Yet somehow Leavitt left with only five scholly WRs on the roster, two of those guys were oft injured.

Tell me how it is a great job of recruiting to be short handed at one of your most important positions.  At the same time, there was only one scholly QB.  How is this great, good, or anything short of embarassing?

Which one of these wr's that CJL left wasn't on scholarship?

Bogan
Griffin
Hopkins
Hornes

Joel Miller had 11 catches at WR in Holtz' first year. Is he one of the stud WRs that Leavitt left behind for Holtz? Or were you referring to walk-on QB Bobby Eveld as one of the studs of the "stacked team" Leavitt left him?

Seriously, did Taggart sleep with your sister or something. You're so far beyond delusional its probably a waste for me to even bother, but Leavitt left a WR corp of Sterling Griffin, Dontavia Bogan, AJ Love, Evan Landi & Lindsey Lamar (and theoretically Carlton Mitchell, who decided to bolt rather than play for Holtz) . I'd say that far exceeds what Taggart was left. And Holtz inherited BJ, an above average to good QB, while Taggart was left with 2 QBs who would struggle to start at the FCS level. Holtz was also left with a defense that just finished 19th in the country giving up only 19.8 pts/game. Taggart inherited a defense that was giving up 27.4 pts/game.

You may question coaching, but if seriously don't think their was a huge (and I mean HUGE) talent gap to what each coach was left, you simply should stop commenting on football.

Carlton Mitchell declared for the draft the same day Leavitt was fired. He had likely decided to declare even before he knew Leavitt was gone. It clearly had nothing to do with Holtz. So that's a fail.

Landi was a TE and Lamar was a WR. They both played WR because there was no one else to suit up once Love and Griffin got hurt.

Thanks for bringing up Griffin, because he bolted when Taggart showed up and went to play for Holtz.

So Leavitt left a total of five WRs for Holtz. And Leavitt used to run five wide sets all the time. There should have been easily 10 to 12 scholly receivers.

Once gain I'll remind you that JOEL MILLER was tied for 4TH on the team in receptions in 2010. That is still unbelievable to me how Holtz got that team to eight wins.

And you really are going to tell me that a good job of recruiting WRs by Leavitt? Really?

:roflmao:

The WR core when Holtz left was far deeper and more talented. There were a couple of other WRs that bailed at the same time as Griffin when Taggart showed up with his two yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Rather than just taking your usual warped spin on things, let them figure out for themselves who did the best job of recruiting wr's left for succeeding coaches:

Leavitt's

Bogan

Griffin

Hopkins

Hornes

Knowles

Love

Mitchell

Holtz's

Bravo-Brown

Davis

Dunkley

Mut

Welch

Holtz's "far deeper and more talented"? I don't see it ....

For starters, you need to take Mitchell off the list.  He was gone before Holtz go here.

And Knowles was a Holtz recruit, by your definition.

You are correct. Take him off the list .....

Still waiting for the justification that Holtz's group was far deeper and more talented.

Taggart ran off Griffin and Montgomery.

Montgomery 2014 for Iowa State:
32 rec, 448 yards, 2TDs

Griffin 2013 - 27 rec, 367 yards, 2 TDs
2012 (USF under Holtz) - 33 rec, 357 yards, 2 TDs

2014 USF Top WRs
Davis - 26/475/6
Adams - 21/315/2
Welch - 18/233/0

Two of the top three are still Holtz guys.  I'd go to four but the next highest WR has two catches in the prolific CWT offense.  Clearly Montgomery would be in the top four if he were still here, probably #2.

Holtz did a fine job of recruiting WRs, especially since he didn't have the five years that Leavitt did to build depth.

Which one of these wr's that CJL left wasn't on scholarship?

Bogan
Griffin
Hopkins
Hornes

I don't understand the question.  Leavitt left those four plus Love that were on scholly.  That would be five, as I said.  How was he planning to run the five WR offense in 2010?

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Well, if the Oracle said it...that **** is rock solid fact.

And that's what you got from that article?

Yes. I got from the article that it was written by the school newspaper.

http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/853469/Taggart-brings-in-soldier-to-speak

The Oracle also said blocking technique was going to be a key point of emphasis going into the SMU game.

Lots of websites with previews of that year's team. That was the year AJ Love was to replace Carlton Mitchell at number 1 but was out with a torn ACL. That left the smaller, less talented Bogan at #1. And he had an ankle injury at least part of the year. That aricle you dismiss has direct quotes from the coaching staff about the lack of talent at WR.

Here was the preseason depth chart. Two of three starters came from other positions.

WR - Dontavia Bogan, T.J. Knowles

WR- Evan Landi, Faron Hornes

WR - Lindsey Lamar, Victor Marc / Joel Miller

http://archive.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=130226

http://southflorida.scout.com/story/994265-first-look-2010-usf-preseason-depth-chart

EDIT: I read in passing an article where Hotlz didn't feel good about the talent at WR until 2012.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Again, who give a rats about Skip. He was a failure here.

• Upvote 1

If that's the criteria, success or failure, I guess we shouldn't give a rats about CWT either. Not until he does something more on field than he has so far.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If that's the criteria, success or failure, I guess we shouldn't give a rats about CWT either. Not until he does something more on field than he has so far.

Key word is was.

Coach Taggart is still here.

Key word is was.

Coach Taggart is still here.

So when he's gone, THEN we can not give a rats, lol, gotcha.