• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If he is gone for sucking. Yup.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If he is gone for sucking. Yup.

The odds are looking pretty good, and getting better by the day.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know why we're talking about the receivers relative to Taggart and previous coaches.

We run the football 53% of the time and that's despite constantly trailing our opponents (145 snaps while winning, 331 snaps while trailing). Our quarterbacks complete 48% of their passes.

This means we've got 134 receptions to go around, 87 of which are caught up guys like Andre Davis, Mike McFarland, Sean Price, Kennard Swanson, Marlon Mack and D'Ernest Johnson. Those guys would be catching balls no matter which pair or trio of WRs were taking snaps opposite Davis.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a big fan of D'Vario Montgomery's since high school and believe it or not I've actually been looking at his work at Iowa State because he's a beast and could be an NFL prospect down the road...so I'd love to have him here. But his impact would be limited.

And Sterling Griffin, I mean forget it he was going to follow Holtz no matter what I think.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I recall Holtz saying when he arrived that there was some great talent on the team but he was surprised at the lack of talent in some positions. 

But WR wasn't one of them and to ROFL at CJL's wr recruiting is just plain clueless ...

Leavitt ran four and five wide all the time.  Yet somehow Leavitt left with only five scholly WRs on the roster, two of those guys were oft injured.

Tell me how it is a great job of recruiting to be short handed at one of your most important positions.  At the same time, there was only one scholly QB.  How is this great, good, or anything short of embarassing?

Landi was also a scholarship QB... that's 2, plus a walk on, plus he had Brion Carnes, a top duel-threat talent, committed.

In 2010, Leavitt would have had... Bogan, Griffin, Love, and Mitchell at WR. Mitchell wasn't going to go if Leavitt was here, I think he was projected to be drafted in the 4th? That's not enough to make someone leave. I am sure there were other WRs, but, that would have been the core group with others coming in.

Leavitt had a knack for finding guys at that position. Taurus Johnson, Ean Randolph, Amari Jackson, Hester, Green... reaching way back, we had Hugh Smith, DeAndrew Rubin, Huey Whittaker, Hearn, the list goes on. Maybe those guys weren't to be compared to even Andre Davis, but, they were productive in the offense we ran. Again, one where an athlete could produce, you didn't need to be a prototypical WR in the mold of Calvin Johnson.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

Again, who give a rats about Skip. He was a failure here.

If that's the criteria, success or failure, I guess we shouldn't give a rats about CWT either. Not until he does something more on field than he has so far.

That would be awe-some ... no more of the daily whining and kvetching about him. Concentrate more on basketball ....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Arguments about who left who receivers are irrelevant. This team lived and died by the QB. Leavitt had Grothe and Daniels, Holtz had Daniels until he didn't and Willie doesn't have ****. And that's where we are now. We have nobody at QB and we do not have a competitive football team.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Arguments about who left who receivers are irrelevant. This team lived and died by the QB. Leavitt had Grothe and Daniels, Holtz had Daniels until he didn't and Willie doesn't have ****. And that's where we are now. We have nobody at QB and we do not have a competitive football team.

We bowled with Julmiste - having a sub-50% completion rate - and had a winning conference record in a better Big East than Skip or (obviously) Taggart ever saw. Leavitt could win with turds at QB.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

We bowled with Julmiste - having a sub-50% completion rate - and had a winning conference record in a better Big East than Skip or (obviously) Taggart ever saw. Leavitt could win with turds at QB.

Yup, this team lived and died with the defense and churned out some amazing players during the Leavitt years. Leavitt was also a flexible coach on offense letting the personnel dictate the scheme. When we had Andre Hall, we ran power-run offense. When Grothe came in, we switched to the spread. With Blackwell, it was more of a pro-style passing offense.

Our last two coaches have been really trying to fit the USF square peg into their round hole of an offense. It's not working.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

I recall Holtz saying when he arrived that there was some great talent on the team but he was surprised at the lack of talent in some positions. 

But WR wasn't one of them and to ROFL at CJL's wr recruiting is just plain clueless ...

Leavitt ran four and five wide all the time.  Yet somehow Leavitt left with only five scholly WRs on the roster, two of those guys were oft injured.

Tell me how it is a great job of recruiting to be short handed at one of your most important positions.  At the same time, there was only one scholly QB.  How is this great, good, or anything short of embarassing?

Landi was also a scholarship QB... that's 2, plus a walk on, plus he had Brion Carnes, a top duel-threat talent, committed.

In 2010, Leavitt would have had... Bogan, Griffin, Love, and Mitchell at WR. Mitchell wasn't going to go if Leavitt was here, I think he was projected to be drafted in the 4th? That's not enough to make someone leave. I am sure there were other WRs, but, that would have been the core group with others coming in.

Leavitt had a knack for finding guys at that position. Taurus Johnson, Ean Randolph, Amari Jackson, Hester, Green... reaching way back, we had Hugh Smith, DeAndrew Rubin, Huey Whittaker, Hearn, the list goes on. Maybe those guys weren't to be compared to even Andre Davis, but, they were productive in the offense we ran. Again, one where an athlete could produce, you didn't need to be a prototypical WR in the mold of Calvin Johnson.

People have to remember, its not just the HC recruiting these kids either.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

CWT recruits have been good thus far. To me, Auggie Sanchez is one of our best players. He is everywhere on the field. Thankful to have him at USF