• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Only bonfire worth lighting?

hqdefault.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,603
  • Days Won:  424

Harlan at LEAST needs to have a talk with Taggart and they need to discuss how he is dealing with the fanbase. 

I don't know if Taggart is outright lying, or legitimately confused, but he isn't instilling confidence and loyalty in us. And that was all we had until recently: hope Taggart could pull it off. Now that's gone. 

Nothing he can say when you're losing is going to placate the portion of the fanbase that needs placating. Confidence and loyalty is instilled by winning and it's just a matter of how much time he gets to do that on a consistent basis.

So to summarize, CWT should get 1 more year because:

1) Holtz got 3 years, therefore, CWT is required to get the same amount of time

2) this year's team might be better than the team got Holtz fired

To me, EVERY coach should get at least 3 years to see what he can do with primarily his players on the roster .... 

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you.  I am not even saying Taggart shouldn't get a third year, but the factor that puts Harlan in a difficult situation is not just the Wins and Losses, it is the rapidly declining attendance and overall interest in the program.  That cannot be ignored.  

IMO, the problem Harlan is faces is that we don't have the type of fanbase that a simple coaching change will re-ignite the majority of the ones gone right now. Simply getting rid of Taggart is not going to bring back the attendance numbers to pre-Holtz, or even Holtz, type numbers. The "fans" that are, or will be, gone are tired of tired of losing. To re-generate the interest immediately, he would have to have a splash hire to get the program jump started .... Otherwise, you're back to square one waiting for the next guy to reach a win level that brings a good portion of the fans back ... and that's why, to me, you may as well give Taggart at least one year more to see if he can do it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Harlan at LEAST needs to have a talk with Taggart and they need to discuss how he is dealing with the fanbase. 

I don't know if Taggart is outright lying, or legitimately confused, but he isn't instilling confidence and loyalty in us. And that was all we had until recently: hope Taggart could pull it off. Now that's gone. 

Nothing he can say when you're losing is going to placate the portion of the fanbase that needs placating. Confidence and loyalty is instilled by winning and it's just a matter of how much time he gets to do that on a consistent basis.

If I had a dollar for every time you or someone else has said that ...

There have been signs of some well coached games.  Wisconsin and ECU were two of them.  I definitely think he needs a full 3 years to see this through before a knee jerk reaction. 

There are some key pieces missing from an offense like this to work:

- Running backs that have man strength (our true frosh are good but don't have this yet.  Tice shows that he can now finally run through some arm tackles as an example)

- O-lineman that are better than what Holtz brought in (Knox, Gibbons, etc are on the way).  Need a top JUCO recruit that starts too.

- TE's that can block

- A QB that is confident and is a leader

I think next year, some of these pieces will be in place and then we can judge better.

The well coached games were eventually lost due to coaching decisions, if I recall correctly.

Please, if possible, elaborate on the coaching decisions that caused the losses to UW and ECU ....

The same thing they have done most of the year. Not adjust the game plan. When the opposing teams we've played had problems on either side of the ball they have adjusted the game plan. That seems to be a foreign concept to CWT.

So just more of the usual generalities that basically CWT sucks .... Thanks for the insight.

It may be generalizations to you,but anyone can watch a game and see that a team does the same thing over and over,the same plays on the same down, the same defense on every play and it either works or doesn't. And when it works and the other team adjusts, at the half, like Wisconsin, and your team comes out running the same plays on the same downs 90% of the time, like the first half and it no longer works, when they don't adjust, it's a given they lose the game. Pulling a QB is CWT's only adjustment he appears to know.

Your response "The well coached games were eventually lost due to coaching decisions, if I recall correctly" seemed to indicate that you thought there were specific decisions in those games that led to the loss but instead we get more of the usual anti-Taggart generalizing mantra .... I should have known better to have pursued it.

Others are plagiarizing me??

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,047
  • Days Won:  38

His game management? On that last touchdown play, yes the one on 4th down, he was signalling in for White to spike the ball. White luckily questioned it and got a play in from one of the other QBs on the sideline.

Wow kudos to Mike White and whomever got in that play. Also, they picked the right play (THROW THE FREAKING BALL TO AD IN THE RED ZONE).

Oh and all that with the clock running. Big kudos there for pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

What a frustrating horrible game to watch. I'm glad they won but it more felt like purgatory.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

it's not just winning that matters.

how you win is also important.

as long as we keep winning the way we are, we have NO confidence (as fans) that we'll ever see ANOTHER win.

it would be nice to win in smooth, dominant fashion, building up the confidence that the next game won't be a miserable breakdown again

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Others are plagiarizing me??

I've been known to say that now and again.   But you use my avy so we're all square  :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

So to summarize, CWT should get 1 more year because:

1) Holtz got 3 years, therefore, CWT is required to get the same amount of time

2) this year's team might be better than the team got Holtz fired

To me, EVERY coach should get at least 3 years to see what he can do with primarily his players on the roster .... 

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you.  I am not even saying Taggart shouldn't get a third year, but the factor that puts Harlan in a difficult situation is not just the Wins and Losses, it is the rapidly declining attendance and overall interest in the program.  That cannot be ignored.  

IMO, the problem Harlan is faces is that we don't have the type of fanbase that a simple coaching change will re-ignite the majority of the ones gone right now. Simply getting rid of Taggart is not going to bring back the attendance numbers to pre-Holtz, or even Holtz, type numbers. The "fans" that are, or will be, gone are tired of tired of losing. To re-generate the interest immediately, he would have to have a splash hire to get the program jump started .... Otherwise, you're back to square one waiting for the next guy to reach a win level that brings a good portion of the fans back ... and that's why, to me, you may as well give Taggart at least one year more to see if he can do it.

I am not looking for a change in coaching  simply for a change in the coach and expecting it to make an immediate impact on the the fan base.  What I am saying is that a change in coaching really needs to be considered because even if we get back to being a .500 team (which personally I don't see happening until 2016) I don't see Taggart's style of play interesting or exciting enough to energize a fan base.  it just appears to be a slow and plodding team.  Statistically we have the best Freshman running back in the history of the school and the most productive WR in school history and this is still like watching the grass grow.  I don't see that style of play bringing fans out until the team is dominant.