• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football 2022 season comparison to 2021. (We actually have improved)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,443
  • Days Won:  19

Looking at the stats of Ws and Ls and points for and against after five games last year and this year I see a pretty strong resemblance.

Happy Birthday Good Job GIF

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

Thanks for compiling this @Gatorbull325

This is probably the first time in the CJS era where I really felt like I was seeing improvement (I'm not buying the "improved culture" nonsense).

That being said, I had my concerns:

1.  I feel like I am seeing improvement I should have seen by the end of Year 1 no later than mid Year 2 so great we are improving but mid Year 3 .. .geez
2.  I definitely feel like we have drasticly improved talent especially the skill positions on offense.  So is the improvement I think I see simply tied to that?
3.  With that, is any improvement we have seen "fool's gold".  Does it mean that CJS is making progress and maybe we are turning it around albeit slower than we would like to see or is it just giving false hope to the CJS regime and delaying the inevitable?

One thing I firmly believe is that if CJS is canned after this season (probably not happening) the ground work is laid for a quick turnaround if the right coach is brought in.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,038
  • Days Won:  38

4 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

One thing I firmly believe is that if CJS is canned after this season (probably not happening) the ground work is laid for a quick turnaround if the right coach is brought in.

It doesn't always work that way though.  That's the problem.  We more need to hope for the wins to come in the remaining part of the season I think.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

This season has been rough, but I wanted to look at some of our numbers to see where we stand as a team right now compared to last year. Believe it or not, there is a lot of improvement from last year. Unfortunately, a rough schedule and a few missed opportunities have hurt us. We have 6 games left in this season. I’m hoping these improvements I highlighted will lead to finishing this season in a bowl game or at least with 4-5 wins. It’s kind of crazy thinking that we could have been 3-2 right now.

I ain't trying to be a debbie downer but like....that is some hard core cherry picking of individual stats.

And I don't know what anyone has seen that would make them think we could have more wins with an "easier" schedule.  

In 2019 we had Wisconsin, BYU and Georgia Tech as OOC opponents.  We *beat* BYU that year.  We *beat* ECU that year in conference.  We had 4 wins and that led to our head coach being fired.  Now it's a couple years later and we are losing those games by a wide margin.  That's not a scheduling problem and it's frustrating hearing that used so much as an excuse (Scott led off with that in a post game a week ago).

Those teams got better, we got worse.  Simple as that.

Injuries are a valid excuse.  We have a ton.  Late transfer QB under first year OC, valid excuse.  First year DC, first time head coach, etc etc...  I can buy those to varying degrees.  But those are reasons for us doing bad, they are not reasons we would do better against a different schedule.  

Game 1 against BYU, our WR doesn't hold a block allowing defender to get a quick pick 6.  He didn't forget to block because it was BYU, he forgot to block bc he wasn't prepared to execute enough/had a mental gaffe.  Mayyyyybe a lesser team doesn't take advantage as much but the problems are still there regardless of opponent.  Same thing with all the missed connections by GB and our receivers.  We are missing open guys in many cases; that's self inflicted no matter the opponent.

I mean, if we *were* giving up tons of sacks then you could say "boy those teams are just stacked with big guys our OL can't handle"... And that would lend credit to "if we played lesser teams we could have time to execute our offense and win more".  But as you pointed out the o line isn't giving up lots of sacks...  And our oline helped our RBs gash UF.  So I don't think different opponents suddenly equate to automatic wins.

Edited by Ghostbuster
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,348
  • Days Won:  10

Yes, they are cherry picked.  When looking for the good, one tends to only look for the good.

We have enough Eeyore folks on here trying very hard to be more traumatized by our performance than the previous posters. We can acknowledge the good in a quest for balance, Grasshopper.

kung fu GIF  

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  21,038
  • Days Won:  38

Nothing wrong with pulling data and comparing it.  It's interesting.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,529
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

This season has been rough, but I wanted to look at some of our numbers to see where we stand as a team right now compared to last year. Believe it or not, there is a lot of improvement from last year. Unfortunately, a rough schedule and a few missed opportunities have hurt us. We have 6 games left in this season. I’m hoping these improvements I highlighted will lead to finishing this season in a bowl game or at least with 4-5 wins. It’s kind of crazy thinking that we could have been 3-2 right now.

Remaining Games:

1.       TULANE 

2.       HOUSTON

3.       TEMPLE

4.       SMU

5.       Tulsa

6.       Micky Mouse University

Notes:

1.       Offensive line - Cincy leads the nation in sacks, and we heldthem to ZERO sacks for the game. This was w/o Donovan Jennings. I shall say it again, Demontrey Jacobs and at least 2 other offensive linemen will be in the NFL next year.  We held Howard, UF and Cinci to 0 sacks. BYU & ECU only had 1. 

2.       Defense – We are on pace to TRIPLE our output from last year, which is not much, but it’s still improvement. Like I’ve been saying, we need to limit big plays & improve our 3rd down defense and we will be ok.

3.       Offense – We are on track for a slight improvement at this point. If we have another game like Louisville, then we might actually have worse stats when it is all said and done.

Defense:

·         (2021) – In 12 games we had 9 Sacks, 49 TFLs, 10 INTs, 6 fumble recoveries for the entire season.

·         (2022) - 6 games: 9 Sacks, 39 TFLs, 6 INTs, and 4 fumble recoveries

Offense:

1.       Scoring –

a.       (2021) - 12 games: 278pts total @ 23Pts per game

b.       (2022)6 games/146 total @ 24pts per game

2.       Passing –

a.       (2021) - 12 games: 1909, 6tds, 12 INTs. (In 11 games Timmy had 5tds and 7 ints and threw for 1888 for the year.)

b.       (2022)6 games: 1009yds, 5TDs & 6 INTs. (Gerry has 5tds & 6INTS & 961 passing yds)

3.       Rushing -

a.       (2021) - In 12 games we had 2262yds @ 3.9 yds per carry and 25 rushing TDs

b.       (2022) 6 games: 1199yds @ 5.1 yds per carry and 13 rushing TDs

4.       Offensive Line:

a.       (2021) - In 12 games we gave up 24 sacks & 74 TFLs for a lost of 311yds

b.       (2022) 6 games: 5 sacks & 31 TFLs.

Hope you do an end of season comparisons as well. This was a great read

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  2

22 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I am thankful that GatorBulls exist in this world, he wants to see the positive and he went out and found actual positives. He knows he trampled through many thorns to find his few roses, there is no reason to begrudge him of actual improvements he compiled and he doesn’t need to know the thorns because he stepped on all of them to find these and he has seen them at nauseam as an active poster.  Enjoy your thread of sunshine Gator, you earned it.

Very magnanimous post.  I just figured it meant that we suck less this year. we suck again GIF

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

It doesn't always work that way though.  That's the problem.  We more need to hope for the wins to come in the remaining part of the season I think.

Not always ... because you don't make a good hire