• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football 2022 season comparison to 2021. (We actually have improved)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,529
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Ghostbuster said:

I ain't trying to be a debbie downer but like....that is some hard core cherry picking of individual stats.

And I don't know what anyone has seen that would make them think we could have more wins with an "easier" schedule.  

In 2019 we had Wisconsin, BYU and Georgia Tech as OOC opponents.  We *beat* BYU that year.  We *beat* ECU that year in conference.  We had 4 wins and that led to our head coach being fired.  Now it's a couple years later and we are losing those games by a wide margin.  That's not a scheduling problem and it's frustrating hearing that used so much as an excuse (Scott led off with that in a post game a week ago).

Those teams got better, we got worse.  Simple as that.

Injuries are a valid excuse.  We have a ton.  Late transfer QB under first year OC, valid excuse.  First year DC, first time head coach, etc etc...  I can buy those to varying degrees.  But those are reasons for us doing bad, they are not reasons we would do better against a different schedule.  

Game 1 against BYU, our WR doesn't hold a block allowing defender to get a quick pick 6.  He didn't forget to block because it was BYU, he forgot to block bc he wasn't prepared to execute enough/had a mental gaffe.  Mayyyyybe a lesser team doesn't take advantage as much but the problems are still there regardless of opponent.  Same thing with all the missed connections by GB and our receivers.  We are missing open guys in many cases; that's self inflicted no matter the opponent.

I mean, if we *were* giving up tons of sacks then you could say "boy those teams are just stacked with big guys our OL can't handle"... And that would lend credit to "if we played lesser teams we could have time to execute our offense and win more".  But as you pointed out the o line isn't giving up lots of sacks...  And our oline helped our RBs gash UF.  So I don't think different opponents suddenly equate to automatic wins.

What is cherry picked? We had 9 sacks all of last season and now we have 9 sacks in the first 6 games. I simply compared numbers. You can feel how you want to feel about the numbers I pulled up and compared. 

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Best feeling in 3 years and it was from a loss, that statement alone shows how freakin pathetic this team has been.  In all honesty, the Cincy game was fun but did any of you actually believe we were going to win the game?  When we lost it was not that bad because you knew we were not going to win, we lose games and that is what we do.

Just like the USF game we had a chance and we choked. Why couldnt we have won those games?

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,355
  • Days Won:  8

3 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Not always ... because you don't make a good hire

Carrying success coach to coach comes from continuity of philosophy 

While I hate using UCF as an example, others on this board have correctly pointed to the fact that they went from Frost to Heupel to Malzhan with very little change in philosophy - thus no major drop in wins

Converserly, we opted for polar opposites when we went from CJL to CSH to CWT to CCS to CJS - the result is a continual 3 year rebuilding cycle with each hire

Hopefully we do better with our next hire

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

Very magnanimous post.  I just figured it meant that we suck less this year. we suck again GIF

He seems like a nice guy that almost randomly selected to be a USF fan and has stuck with it, when almost anyone likely situated has bolted. His posts are typically well reasoned and researched even if I often find myself on the opposite side of concussions and he doesn't seem to be trying to win over converts but simply share his viewpoint of hope. I would be a happier fan if I shared his optimism and he certainly would not benefit from anyone converting him, so I see no reason to share other truths when nothing he said is actually false. Stay golden GatorBull, stay golden (and green).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, puc86 said:

He seems like a nice guy that almost randomly selected to be a USF fan and has stuck with it, when almost anyone likely situated has bolted. His posts are typically well reasoned and researched even if I often find myself on the opposite side of concussions and he doesn't seem to be trying to win over converts but simply share his viewpoint of hope. I would be a happier fan if I shared his optimism and he certainly would not benefit from anyone converting him, so I see no reason to share other truths when nothing he said is actually false. Stay golden GatorBull, stay golden (and green).

I'm beginning to think you are a Lawyer outside of this blog lol I given up trying to encourage others to "not be miserable". If you want to be a poo-butt, cry and whine every time you come to this board then all power to you. I did not make any predictions or claim we are a good team. I simply laid out the main stats and compared them to last year and we just happen to have improved in certain categories.  

Edited by Gatorbull325

7 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I'm beginning to think you are a Lawyer outside of this blog lol I given up trying to encourage others to "not be miserable". If you want to be a poo-butt, cry and whine every time you come to this board then all power to you. I did not make any predictions or claim we are a good team. I simply laid out the main stats and compared them to last year and we just happen to have improved in certain categories.  

I agree, although I didn’t actually fact check check you this time, it’s a sad state of affairs when a few positive statements draws ire. If you had made grandiose extrapolations from your data, I see how that triggers people (mostly because I would have been the first one on the attack) but here are few improvements I found interesting and wanted to share really shouldn’t anger people or make them feel they need to confront you with their data ( I find it particularly futile because you obviously would have seen most anything I can throw at you when looking into the positives you found).

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

What is cherry picked? We had 9 sacks all of last season and now we have 9 sacks in the first 6 games. I simply compared numbers. You can feel how you want to feel about the numbers I pulled up and compared. 

56 minutes ago, puc86 said:

it’s a sad state of affairs when a few positive statements draws ire. If you had made grandiose extrapolations from your data, I see how that triggers people (mostly because I would have been the first one on the attack) but here are few improvements I found interesting and wanted to share really shouldn’t anger people or make them feel they need to confront you with their data 

The "too long didn't read" version is I'm sorry if saying 'cherry picked' insulted the work you had done.  My main beef is that the more well known/prominent stats do not look like improvement and blaming the schedule doesn't hold up to me.

The longer version is:

I made a one sentence comment about "cherry picked" and then proceeded to explain in great detail why I think "blaming the schedule" and claiming we would be 3-2 was wrong.  I'm not trying to harp on someone for trying to find "some" positives, but the title of this thread wasn't "we have some positives over 2021" it's "we have improved" over 2021.

Pedantic on my part?  Sure.  But I had just seen a depressing tweet visualizing USFs offensive and defensive ranks and then saw the title of this thread and got my hopes up that there was something big overlooked.

Instead I got hit right outta the gate with "if not for schedule we'd be better" and yeah that set me off;  And if puc doesn't want to make the case that that argument isn't good I will.

Going back to my "cherry picking" phrase- if I have to explain it, sure in retrospect it could seem a little harsh and or derisive of the work done to find bright spots in stats.  I wasn't intending to belittle the effort, but I was expressing that those stats (while many) are more minor stats than traditionally talked about stats (ie Win-Loss, total offense and total defense).

Which again not to harp and drag the darkness into a thread that clearly worked on making others feel better... but if I have to defend my context for saying only lesser stats show improvement well here's what I mean.  These are the big stats:

Record: 2-10 (118th of 130)

Points/G: 23.2 (100th of 130)

Opp Pts/G: 34.7 (117th of 130)

Record: 1-5 (122nd of 131) 

Points/G: 24.3 (98th of 131)

Opp Pts/G: 36.3 (121st of 131)

Nearly a clean sweep of worse across the board... so yeah the stick up my butt got my panties in a bunch and I complained that this didn't seem like improvement to me.  Not trying to make ppl feel bad just don't want to feel crazy for not seeing improvement/feeling the schedule is to blame.

40 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

The "too long didn't read" version is I'm sorry if saying 'cherry picked' insulted the work you had done.  My main beef is that the more well known/prominent stats do not look like improvement and blaming the schedule doesn't hold up to me.

The longer version is:

I made a one sentence comment about "cherry picked" and then proceeded to explain in great detail why I think "blaming the schedule" and claiming we would be 3-2 was wrong.  I'm not trying to harp on someone for trying to find "some" positives, but the title of this thread wasn't "we have some positives over 2021" it's "we have improved" over 2021.

Pedantic on my part?  Sure.  But I had just seen a depressing tweet visualizing USFs offensive and defensive ranks and then saw the title of this thread and got my hopes up that there was something big overlooked.

Instead I got hit right outta the gate with "if not for schedule we'd be better" and yeah that set me off;  And if puc doesn't want to make the case that that argument isn't good I will.

Going back to my "cherry picking" phrase- if I have to explain it, sure in retrospect it could seem a little harsh and or derisive of the work done to find bright spots in stats.  I wasn't intending to belittle the effort, but I was expressing that those stats (while many) are more minor stats than traditionally talked about stats (ie Win-Loss, total offense and total defense).

Which again not to harp and drag the darkness into a thread that clearly worked on making others feel better... but if I have to defend my context for saying only lesser stats show improvement well here's what I mean.  These are the big stats:

Record: 2-10 (118th of 130)

Points/G: 23.2 (100th of 130)

Opp Pts/G: 34.7 (117th of 130)

Record: 1-5 (122nd of 131) 

Points/G: 24.3 (98th of 131)

Opp Pts/G: 36.3 (121st of 131)

Nearly a clean sweep of worse across the board... so yeah the stick up my butt got my panties in a bunch and I complained that this didn't seem like improvement to me.  Not trying to make ppl feel bad just don't want to feel crazy for not seeing improvement/feeling the schedule is to blame.

I’m sorry if you feel I was going after you, I wasn’t I just wanted to voice my appreciation for Gator and why I wouldn’t be engaging when some may have expected me help start a pile on.  

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  0

I do want to point out that I haven't seen a single person say they approve of the work CJS done. Basically, it's a scale rated from 'dislikes what has happened' to 'shoot this bum into the sun'. We are all varying degrees of disappointed.

Edited by thekidnapper