• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football 2022 season comparison to 2021. (We actually have improved)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,484
  • Days Won:  13

3 hours ago, bowman1 said:

Carrying success coach to coach comes from continuity of philosophy 

While I hate using UCF as an example, others on this board have correctly pointed to the fact that they went from Frost to Heupel to Malzhan with very little change in philosophy - thus no major drop in wins

Converserly, we opted for polar opposites when we went from CJL to CSH to CWT to CCS to CJS - the result is a continual 3 year rebuilding cycle with each hire

Hopefully we do better with our next hire

A few points:

1. Frost and Heupel were not fired for poor performance on the field.  Typically, if a team has been losing under a certain philosophy, you don't REALLY want to continue that philosophy.  The ONLY coaching transition for USF that compares is CWT to CCS, where a coach left on his own.  If you continue using UCF as an example, the best would be O'Leary to Frost - which was a MAJOR change in philosophy (recruiting, offense, defense, etc).  So when CSH was losing, we needed to change it up with CWT... and when CCS was losing we needed to change it up with CJS.  The results may not have changed - but the overall philosophy has.

2. Frost > Heupel > Malzhan all follow the fairly common offensive scheme based on a solid QB with a lot of RPOs, and using a bit of tempo to keep the defense under pressure.  75% (or more) of college football does that... and I have to think if USF's defense were better, the Bulls would be doing the same thing.  But because this offense so predominant, it's not all that hard to find coaches who use that style.  It's not necessarily that UCF was TRYING to find someone who fit the same philosophy, it was more of the nature of finding the best coaches they could and the odds were pretty good the new coach would follow that kind of offensive scheme. (Also, we can all expect that Malzahn will be leaving UCF if/when he can replicate the success of Frost and Scott.)

3. The argument you seem to be making at the end is that USF should replace Jeff Scott with another coach that has a similar philosophy.  One of the reasons MK went with someone like Scott was to find someone who might not leave after the first season of success (see: Taggart).  Remember, our very first head coach was also a co-coordinator at a P5 school who had never been a head coach before.  That seems like a model worth trying to find a coach who may want to stay for five or ten years.  NOW, the results on the field don't point to that... and there are reasons for changes this season... but try to think back to 2019/2020 and what MK was trying to do.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,271
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Or disingenuos ********.  

I like Gator and I like that he just stuck to his facts as opposed to trying to extrapolate it into something more than it is. It may seem like a petty difference but I am a pretty petty person.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, olafberserker said:

One thing I firmly believe is that if CJS is canned after this season (probably not happening) the ground work is laid for a quick turnaround if the right coach is brought in.

As long as team doesn't transfer away I do think if we did have a good hire a new coach has talent to work with. 

But unfortunately Scott's not likely going away...do hope things start clicking very soon cause the losses are getting very old.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,364
  • Days Won:  5

36 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Simple tit for tat, he provides unrealistic optimism and the rest remind him that we suck, it passes the time.

There's no rule that people have to comment in every thread

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,364
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, bowman1 said:

Carrying success coach to coach comes from continuity of philosophy 

Not necessarily ... it comes with hiring a coach with a clue on how to coach and how to build from where we are at the time they are hired.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  12,610
  • Days Won:  25

7 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

I ain't trying to be a debbie downer but like....that is some hard core cherry picking of individual stats.

And I don't know what anyone has seen that would make them think we could have more wins with an "easier" schedule.  

In 2019 we had Wisconsin, BYU and Georgia Tech as OOC opponents.  We *beat* BYU that year.  We *beat* ECU that year in conference.  We had 4 wins and that led to our head coach being fired.  Now it's a couple years later and we are losing those games by a wide margin.  That's not a scheduling problem and it's frustrating hearing that used so much as an excuse (Scott led off with that in a post game a week ago).

Those teams got better, we got worse.  Simple as that.

Injuries are a valid excuse.  We have a ton.  Late transfer QB under first year OC, valid excuse.  First year DC, first time head coach, etc etc...  I can buy those to varying degrees.  But those are reasons for us doing bad, they are not reasons we would do better against a different schedule.  

Game 1 against BYU, our WR doesn't hold a block allowing defender to get a quick pick 6.  He didn't forget to block because it was BYU, he forgot to block bc he wasn't prepared to execute enough/had a mental gaffe.  Mayyyyybe a lesser team doesn't take advantage as much but the problems are still there regardless of opponent.  Same thing with all the missed connections by GB and our receivers.  We are missing open guys in many cases; that's self inflicted no matter the opponent.

I mean, if we *were* giving up tons of sacks then you could say "boy those teams are just stacked with big guys our OL can't handle"... And that would lend credit to "if we played lesser teams we could have time to execute our offense and win more".  But as you pointed out the o line isn't giving up lots of sacks...  And our oline helped our RBs gash UF.  So I don't think different opponents suddenly equate to automatic wins.

What lesser teams do you want to play we got blown out by Louisville and Ecu? Maybe we can schedule fiu and UMass we may beat them regularly.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

I like Gator and I like that he just stuck to his facts as opposed to trying to extrapolate it into something more than it is. It may seem like a petty difference but I am a pretty petty person.

It baffles me how emotional some people got.  I only gave stats and did not refer 2 us as a good team.  I did not make any predictions. I dont even care whether CJS stays or goes. If he stays, something positive happened, if he goes we got somebody better. I roll with wherever the dice rolls. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,111
  • Days Won:  39

5 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

It baffles me how emotional some people got.  I only gave stats and did not refer 2 us as a good team.

People get weird about data instead of just tossing it in the mental stew and evaluating things.  It's weird.  

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

We currently have amazing talent on offense. Battie and Horn (and this o-line) might be some of the most naturally gifted offensive players to have put on a USF jersey.

If only we had a 3rd down defense or just tackling defensive talent in the secondary, this team would not be that big of a joke. I am rooting for CJS to find a way to motivate the defense to play beyond their capabilities, it actually would be a shame to lose all these offensive players to transferring if we end up firing him at the end of this season.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

12 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

We currently have amazing talent on offense. Battie and Horn (and this o-line) might be some of the most naturally gifted offensive players to have put on a USF jersey.

If only we had a 3rd down defense or just tackling defensive talent in the secondary, this team would not be that big of a joke. I am rooting for CJS to find a way to motivate the defense to play beyond their capabilities, it actually would be a shame to lose all these offensive players to transferring if we end up firing him at the end of this season.

That is all I've been saying about the defense. We are accumulating plenty of Sacks and TFLs, but it's all in vain if we can't make a 3rd down stop or stop the big plays. To me it's more mental for the players and on the coaches to call the right plays. The secondary has been the biggest disappointment. We ran Bentlee Sanders off the team and he is balling at Nevada and leads CFB with the most interceptions.