• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stadium Study

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

Stadium Study

Study from 2017, picture from 2021

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/13/2021
  • Category

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

Seems like just yesterday they were doing the first feasibility study.   Sad thing is that they spent money for a "study" and hired someone for this design and renderings when the $$$ issue should have been solved first.  I guess at the time, it made us all feel warm and fuzzy thinking an OCS was just around the corner.  I won't believe anything until I see a shovel in the ground.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,960
  • Days Won:  12

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

hm101 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Hm101's critical analysis that matters:

Zone 1: I like the proximity to the lake and gardens, could make for a fun Ole Miss Grove-like GameDay vibe. I love the connection to the Greenway. I can see that being a sea of tailgating/band marches to the stadium and even a players march. It's closest to 275, has more of a "welcome to campus" factor, and maxes parking. Cons? It's the furthest from students so this being a genuine attempt to foster student engagement and broaden it's use beyond football will miss that mark (an important factor if student fees are to be leveraged). It's also furthest from Athletics. It also costs more.

Zone 2: flip the cons to the above: it's closer to students, other athletes (meaning a stronger case for this as a culture / multi use investment). It's cheaper. Also flip the pros (to cons): less parking, less "scenic" tailgating. Addressing some of these, I wonder if mosi or the surrounding property immediately across the street could be repurposed to accommodate more parking. 

Overall comments for both: the parking estimates of the study have faulty assumptions. 40k people attending a game at 2.9 ppl per car is OK but realistically maybe 5k of those are students in walking distance and maybe another 5k will seek private parking off campus, and we live in an Uber era versus when this was done in 2017 so another 1k might use that. I'd say cut the need for parking by 25%. Leverage parking across campus. 

I won't speculate about amenities or breakout of bench versus box seating or whatever but suffice it to say the need for butts in seats (tickets/concessions sales) should be balanced with the fact that Tampa residents have 3 championship teams to watch so we need some quality seating/club options. 

In addition, I would make it a point to rope in some multiuse aspects of this. Can it generate revenue from outside events? Parking for day to day USF visitors/students/staff? Can it even be a "classroom" space for some business or college of arts classes? 

Finally, this would be a boost to the surrounding area. Bars, restaurants, hotels, etc benefit. Will the city make the necessary adjustments though? ie. If there are 20k pedestrians after the game who want food and drinks good luck crossing any of these streets.

TLDR: hm101 endorses site number 2

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

Just put it on campus where it fits, put the tailgating area where it makes sense.  Offer shuttles from spots across campus to the stadium. 

Most OCS are just off in the edge of campus and people tailgate all over the campus and take a 2 min campus shuttle from their tailgate to the stadium. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

41 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Just put it on campus where it fits, put the tailgating area where it makes sense.  Offer shuttles from spots across campus to the stadium. 

Most OCS are just off in the edge of campus and people tailgate all over the campus and take a 2 min campus shuttle from their tailgate to the stadium. 

Although you are correct about shuttles, it just struck me as amusing that now 10k students could "shuttle" to Ray Jay and the OCS might require more non students and students to shuttle to the game. Lack of sleep is not a good thing.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Days Won:  0

I know this is a study. However, in another blog post it was mentioned that USF does not have good ties with the City of Tampa. Here is an opportunity to change that. I originally wanted the stadium over by the Sun Dome. Now I am rethinking that for the corner of Fowler and Bruce B downs. If USF add the stadium there it is making more sense to add some pedestrian overpasses. Just like the one by MOSI.  This allows for walking to the Yeungling Brewery, the Mall, and other restaurants. The better the area the more tax dollars for the City. There needs to be a comprehensive partnership between USF and Tampa. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

8 minutes ago, Sinis75 said:

I know this is a study. However, in another blog post it was mentioned that USF does not have good ties with the City of Tampa. Here is an opportunity to change that. I originally wanted the stadium over by the Sun Dome. Now I am rethinking that for the corner of Fowler and Bruce B downs. If USF add the stadium there it is making more sense to add some pedestrian overpasses. Just like the one by MOSI.  This allows for walking to the Yeungling Brewery, the Mall, and other restaurants. The better the area the more tax dollars for the City. There needs to be a comprehensive partnership between USF and Tampa. 

If its true that the football center is being combined with the OCS I think it makes sense to keep it over by athletics. Would be odd to have the football center on the other side of the campus from the practice fields. Think I also saw some comments that there was some issue with land already being used, that makes me think the Sycamore Fields/Tennis Court/Track area could be cleared and turned into an area for the stadium. Unless they are thinking of moving the elementary school by Fowler Fields.

Hopefully USF Health's work downtown and with TGH is helping our rep with the city. I'm sure getting buddy buddy with Vinick doesn't hurt either

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Sinis75 said:

Agree. Although it would be nice to have all of the Athletic facilities in one area. I think the pedestrian bridge idea is also a good idea, but you're adding approximately $10mil to the costs. If the Bucs can shut down Dale Mabry for fans to cross, the BULLS can get fans across Fowler and BBD the same way.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

6 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

... If the Bucs can shut down Dale Mabry for fans to cross, the BULLS can get fans across Fowler and BBD the same way.

100%

• Topic Count:  1,033
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Days Won:  10

Michael Kelly said one option is to put it at the track stadium's location and then create a new T&F complex.  I like the idea of having it close to both the dorms and the athletic district.