• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Coaches from Tampa Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, BulledOver said:

There are something like 11 college coach openings currently. Around 4-5 P5 spots with possibly more coming like..Mich State, S Carolina if they decide to cut theirs loose?? Appears Memphis may be looking?  Cincy?  Temple? if good offers go to these guys. If all that took place it's going to be a whirlwind of programs trying to fill their openings. What a year is unfolding in college football. 

Which is why this might take a while...

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

If he does get the job at one of the $EC schools the first game at Tenn would be must watch TV.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

If he does get the job at one of the $EC schools the first game at Tenn would be must watch TV.

Good god that would be sweet...the records would not even matter. 

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740

8 minutes ago, JTrue said:

2. Take the money. Build up another program. Keep your nose clean. The next P5 program he gets is going to be a rebuild, so he's only helping his case by turning us around. If he goes from making FAU relevant to making us decent, he's only going to get more offers and more money in a couple more years. If his agent is telling him he needs to do more rehab and people aren't quite yet sold on handing the keys to a legit program to someone with Lane's background, success here benefits everyone.

The “take the money” argument for Lane became invalid when he took a $400,000 paycut to go from Bama OC to FAU OC. I’m sure he’s still riding high on his Oakland and USC buyouts.

You think it’s wiser to build up a new program that’s not nationally relevant, rather than continue at your current conference championship program that’s not nationally relevant?

What does Kiffin have to gain by building up a different G5 program that he doesn’t have today?

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

21 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

The “take the money” argument for Lane became invalid when he took a $400,000 paycut to go from Bama OC to FAU OC. I’m sure he’s still riding high on his Oakland and USC buyouts.

You think it’s wiser to build up a new program that’s not nationally relevant, rather than continue at your current conference championship program that’s not nationally relevant?

What does Kiffin have to gain by building up a different G5 program that he doesn’t have today?

You are operating under the false assumption that it will be the same level of difficulty for him to make the jump from FAU to an upper tier SEC school vs. from USF to an upper tier SEC school. I disagree with the premise. If he comes to USF and wins 10-11 games in back to back years, he will get a strong P5 offer (see Taggart, Willie). And while he can certainly parlay the FAU job into a great opportunity (e.g. Arkansas), he needs to show more to get into the upper echelon.

Also this isn't just anybody, it's Lane Kiffin. Generic football coach would not be in this position to begin with because they aren't a borderline sociopath (or at least not as obvious about it).

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

41 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

I’ll pose you the same question:

You are a G5 coach who has won 2 conference championships in your 3 year tenure. You are angling for a P5 gig and are the top name for several SEC vacancies.

If for whatever reason you are not offered or pass on those SEC openings, do you:

1: Stay another year at your G5 program that you’ve built into a consistent championship contender, and see what offers await next season?

2: Start over at a different G5 program, that’s a rebuilding effort, and would be at least a 2 year commitment, given you already have a stain on your reputation for bolting a program after a single year?

I hold fast at a program I have success with and I don't go to a dumpster fire that might not be salvageable unless it is P5.

If I have the option of going to the AAC with a situation like when Frost left UCF or Taggart left USF I heavily consider that.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

27 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

Why is him getting paid more now invalid because he took less a few years ago?

Yes. In this case, I think building USF up will pay bigger dividends than going 8-5 at FAU for a couple more years.

A better offer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Why is him getting paid more now invalid because he took less a few years ago?

Yes. In this case, I think building USF up will pay bigger dividends than going 8-5 at FAU for a couple more years.

A better offer.

Agreed if we are talking about him getting no P5 offers. However, arkansas/ole miss offered and he rebuilds them to a national champ. He would be a god. Forever.  A serious long shot but hey why not take the shot.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Sk00b said:

Agreed if we are talking about him getting no P5 offers. However, arkansas/ole miss offered and he rebuilds them to a national champ. He would be a god. Forever.  A serious long shot but hey why not take the shot.

I don't think anyone is saying pass on a P5 gig for USF

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802

We are all waiting for the dominos to fall post Saturday nights games.