• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Coaches from Tampa Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

If he wants his last shot at a top level-ish head coaching job to be Ole Miss or Arkansas then yea he should take it.

Or, spend another season winning in Boca, and see what awaits next year.

Lane is not looking to build up another program that isn't in the P5.

Just now, chapelbull said:

Our school/conference would absolutely be viewed as an upgrade by many.  I have no idea how Kiffin feels

An upgrade? Perhaps. Enough of an upgrade to forego everything you've built over the past three years to start over, in parlaying that into a P5 offer? Forget it. Especially given he's being discussed for multiple SEC openings right now.

1 more year of stable winning at FAU for Lane with the idea of more P5 opportunities if he doesn't want Ole Miss or Arkansas > Starting a fresh rebuild at a different G5 school.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

An upgrade? Perhaps. Enough of an upgrade to forego everything you've built over the past three years to start over, in parlaying that into a P5 offer? Forget it. Especially given he's being discussed for multiple SEC openings right now.

1 more year of stable winning at FAU for Lane with the idea of more P5 opportunities if he doesn't want Ole Miss or Arkansas > Starting a fresh rebuild at a different G5 school.

That's your opinion or is there a quote from Kiffin?

6 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

That's your opinion or is there a quote from Kiffin?

It's called common sense.

If you, chapelbull, were a G5 coach with two conference championships in your three year tenure (assuming Kiffin wins tomorrow), and you're eyeing P5 jobs (but pass on the current SEC vacancies for some stupid reason), would you rather:

1: Stay at the program you've built up for another year to make a third conference championship run, and then see if there are better P5 offers (better than mid-tier SEC schools)

2: Start a new G5 rebuild, where you would hurt your image by leaving after a single year (and he has worked hard to remove that black mark from Tennessee), so it's at least two years before you're looking for P5 again.

Edited by OnTheBus

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343

5 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

I have no idea what he wants, but I get the feeling he wants to be a head coach at a top tier program. If he takes bottom dweller job in any of the P5 conferences odds are he fails before he gets an offer from a better school.

IMO I think USF is an easier path to better schools than trying to fight against Bama, LSU, Georgia etc..

1 minute ago, USFBULL_08 said:

IMO I think USF is an easier path to better schools than trying to fight against Bama, LSU, Georgia etc..

Accepting a USF/G5 rebuild is an easier path than continuing at the G5 conference championship program you've already built?

Were not in the Big East anymore, guys.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

It's called common sense.

If you, chapelbull, were a G5 coach with two conference championships in your three year tenure (assuming Kiffin wins tomorrow), and you're eyeing P5 jobs (but pass on the current SEC vacancies for some stupid reason), would you rather:

1: Stay at the program you've built up for another year to make a third conference championship run, and then see if there are better P5 offers (better than mid-tier SEC schools)

2: Start a new G5 rebuild, where you would hurt your image by leaving after a single year (and he has worked hard to remove that black mark from Tennessee), so it's at least two years before you're looking for P5 again.

It's not common sense and you gave 2 different scenarios.   Conf USA sucks.  It's worse than the AAC.   IF he is passing on P5 jobs then sure maybe he thinks another year and maybe (he went 5-7 in 2018) another championship helps his stock and gives him a better shot .... maybe.   But if he's getting passed over and not being offered P5 gigs, then he should be wondering if the FAU w's aren't quite impressive enough and maybe another move makes sense.  As for leaving after 1 year to get a P5 gig, he doesn't care about that.  If he gets a shot and wins there, then more opportunities will present themselves or he is set anyway.

Either way, it's an opinion and we don't know what Kiffin is thinking for sure.  I'm thinking he is going to get an SEC gig and take it unless he's convinced he's a year away from a prime opportunity.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343

4 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

Accepting a USF/G5 rebuild is an easier path than continuing at the G5 conference championship program you've already built?

Were not in the Big East anymore, guys.

Has anyone been hired to a high level program from CUSA? 

5 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Top of my head? Jeff Brohm. Not sure if that's top level enough for you, but it's a more desirable job than USF. I'm sure there's more if I bothered looking.

7 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I'm thinking he is going to get an SEC gig and take it unless he's convinced he's a year away from a prime opportunity.

That's what I call common sense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,393
  • Days Won:  3

36 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

You are missing the entire point. USF/AAC/G5 is not enough of an upgrade over FAU/CUSA/G5 for Kiffin to make that leap, with the hopes of upgrading again within a couple of years.

He already has a program built and competing for championships. If he's going to leave, it will be for a P5 gig. Not for another school he has to build from scratch to still not be nationally relevant. If he doesn't get the P5 offer he's looking for, spend another year at FAU, win another conference championship, see what is out there next year. That's better than taking over a lesser program in a slightly tougher conference where if you bolt after a year, it reflects poorly on you.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

Makes sense to me

7 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Kiffin is a Sabanite that humbled himself by taking a lower tier HC gig. I can only assume he did this because he knew he tarnished his reputation.  Granted he can be a head case but you have to admire the fact he realized this. Cant answer your question but with his resume of being under Saban he will most certainly get P5 offers. 

Edited by Sk00b