• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Coaches from Tampa Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

Agreed if we are talking about him getting no P5 offers. However, arkansas/ole miss offered and he rebuilds them to a national champ. He would be a god. Forever.  A serious long shot but hey why not take the shot.

Of course he isn't turning down an SEC offer to come here, but nobody is saying that. (Especially for Kiffin.) But many promising careers have died on the field at Ole Miss and Arkansas and their ilk. Honestly I think it would be easier to rebuild USF and use that as a springboard to a tier-1 job than to win a NC with one of the middling SEC teams that come with their own built-in issues. Again, though, nobody is suggesting he would turn down those offers to come here. But I would bet a huge amount of money that if USF offered him and he felt like that was his best option, he'd be gone like Tuberville at a recruit dinner.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

But many promising careers have died on the field at Ole Miss and Arkansas and their ilk.

How long before he goes off the deep end if he does take one of these gigs?

Just now, Sk00b said:

How long before he goes off the deep end if he does take one of these gigs?

I could see him going the Houston Nutt route and jumping from one to the other to thoroughly torch the bridges, with a little drama and litigation sprinkled in.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, WWMJD said:

I could see him going the Houston Nutt route and jumping from one to the other to thoroughly torch the bridges, with a little drama and litigation sprinkled in.

Wow. Had to look up Houston Nutt to see what hes been up to. Looks like he is taking Kiffin's gig. 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, WWMJD said:

That is why I find the Ole Miss job perplexing. They just went through all of that stuff.

Both Ark and Ole Miss play Bama, LSU and Auburn every year in division. It never ends well.

4 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

That is why I find the Ole Miss job perplexing. They just went through all of that stuff.

Both Ark and Ole Miss play Bama, LSU and Auburn every year in division. It never ends well.

I look at it this way: those teams are in a similar position to USF in that they can't pull the five star candidates they'd like for the reasons you mention (and others). So they end up taking people with question marks (Petrino, Tuberville, Nutt, Freeze, Kiffin) and hope they work out.

In the same way the Clemson assistants look to have turned down USF, many smart coaches (the ones without Kiffin's baggage) would rather hold out for a better situation if their resume warrants it.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

So if all the coaching threads from this round were merge would that thread be able to give the conference realignment thread a run for it money?

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

I look at it this way: those teams are in a similar position to USF in that they can't pull the five star candidates they'd like for the reasons you mention (and others). So they end up taking people with question marks (Petrino, Tuberville, Nutt, Freeze, Kiffin) and hope they work out.

In the same way the Clemson assistants look to have turned down USF, many smart coaches (the ones without Kiffin's baggage) would rather hold out for a better situation if their resume warrants it.

I can't argue with that.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, Roaming Bull said:

So if all the coaching threads from this round were merge would that thread be able to give the conference realignment thread a run for it money?

fat baby laughing GIF

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

34 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Of course he isn't turning down an SEC offer to come here, but nobody is saying that. (Especially for Kiffin.) But many promising careers have died on the field at Ole Miss and Arkansas and their ilk. Honestly I think it would be easier to rebuild USF and use that as a springboard to a tier-1 job than to win a NC with one of the middling SEC teams that come with their own built-in issues. Again, though, nobody is suggesting he would turn down those offers to come here. But I would bet a huge amount of money that if USF offered him and he felt like that was his best option, he'd be gone like Tuberville at a recruit dinner.

But most college coaches are Type A personalities believing they are the ones who can actually make it happen.