• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bring back Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

5 hours ago, LewSFBulls said:

He left before QF's senior season with one of the best offenses in the country, 2016 was the year we were going to finally ascend to the next level (conference championship then possibly a new years bowl).

Exactly unfinished business.  I wondered if he didn't believe in himself to do it another year here and just cash all his chips on with Oregon which was a bizarre choice in my opinion.  The one year stint there proves that.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

Exactly unfinished business.  I wondered if he didn't believe in himself to do it another year here and just cash all his chips on with Oregon which was a bizarre choice in my opinion.  The one year stint there proves that.

This is probably what pisses me off the most about Slick Willie. It’s not that he just left he left us for a job that was across the country. He was obviously looking to take the first job out of here. I wish nothing good for him...

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This is probably what pisses me off the most about Slick Willie. It’s not that he just left he left us for a job that was across the country. He was obviously looking to take the first job out of here. I wish nothing good for him...

What is CWT bowl record? What is his record against top 25 teams? Don’t think it is very good 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Just curious...what were you expecting from him? He did what Rhule did at Temple, Fuente did at Memphis, Herman did at Houston, Frost did at UCF, Morris did at SMU...etc..etc... They bolted when a better opportunity arose. It will always be that way in the AAC. We're the Minors Leagues. Unlikely we will ever have a successful coach stick around here, unless we wind up in the P5.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

What is CWT bowl record? What is his record against top 25 teams? Don’t think it is very good 

With our abundance of $$$, I expect us to hire a top notch HC, who will spend the next 30 years here, and go 32-0 vs. Top 25 teams. I mean, what's stopping us? We were once in the Big East with a #2 ranking....

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

16 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Just curious...what were you expecting from him? He did what Rhule did at Temple, Fuente did at Memphis, Herman did at Houston, Frost did at UCF, Morris did at SMU...etc..etc... They bolted when a better opportunity arose. It will always be that way in the AAC. We're the Minors Leagues. Unlikely we will ever have a successful coach stick around here, unless we wind up in the P5.

No one travels like Slick Willie. He will probably be teaching football in Japan next year.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

14 hours ago, OnTheBus said:

Willie Taggart was perhaps one game away from getting fired here. Home vs Syracuse, 2015. Homecoming game. His record was 7-19. The pitchforks were coming out. With nothing to lose, Willie turns Quinton Flowers loose. The Bulls win in an upset, and finish the season on a 7-2 run.

QF, Marlon Mack, and several other gamers saved Willie's ass.

Taggart to his credit recruited them, and I’m sure learned from that. I agree, much of the success those years was Flowers, Mack, DJ, McCants. 

I was watching a Flowers top 10 highlights the other day and some of the moves he pulls are just not coachable. Situations where 99% of QBs would have been sacked Flowers evades and gets a first down. 

Id still take Taggart back, knowing he can recruit better and put athletes in the right place with the ball. FSU was sinking, That’s why Fisher jumped ship.  
But Taggart might not be as ambitious or motivated the second time in the same job so I understand where both sides are coming from. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

I would even tag on to that, in the Taggart glory years here of 2015 and 2016, when we failed to win the conference or even the division, that Cinci, UCF, and SMU were trash teams and Memphis was okay but a little behind where they are now IMO.  Not only did we not win the conference under Taggart, but it is a bit tougher conference now

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

40 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No one travels like Slick Willie. He will probably be teaching football in Japan next year.

He’s already signed up to be one of the founding coaches of the NFL China

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

14 hours ago, OnTheBus said:

Willie Taggart had a losing record (24-25) at USF.

Willie Taggart never won a bowl game for USF.

Willie Taggart made the choice to leave us for one year of Oregon.

Willie Taggart has a losing record (16-17) across two other HC gigs since leaving USF.

Willie had a losing record:  Because he was left absolute garbage from Holtz.  Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick would not have won right away at USF due to the talent level.  The fact is he got better and better year after year until the USF offense was unstoppable.  FACT.

Willie never won a bowl game:  Because he LEFT before the bowl game USF won.  Otherwise, he would have.

Willie made the choice to leave for Ore:  True.  However, I would think he'd stick around a while this time.

Willie had a losing record:  Yes, he was taking over bad programs.  If Willie had stayed at Oregon, they would have won big just as they are doing now, and he was only given like 20 games at FSU.  His track record suggests he would have turned it around.  Here's some news for you.  ANY coach that takes over a dumpster fire is not going to win big their first year.    

• Upvote 1