• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bring back Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Vivadiscordia said:

One thing that the folks that want to bring back Taggart fail to recognize, is that you are not getting the same guy we had back then. If you think he is going to come in and start recruiting like he used to, you are delusional.

The Willie Taggart we hired was a relatively unknown up and coming head coach coming out of WKU. Recruits didn't really know anything about him other than what he presented outward. 

The Willie Taggart of today has a reputation of being a loser. He had a high profile job at FSU with a ton of attention on him and the program, which ended with him being unceremoniously fired after 1.5 seasons. He also has the reputation of jumping ship at the first given chance and abandoning your ass. 

What is Willie Taggart's recruiting pitch today? Why would any recruit on earth want to come play for Willie Taggart, given what they know about him today? The Willie Taggart of today has a reputation, and a highly unfavorable one at that. 

That applies to any AAC coach.

Was the GCO Kinnan's brainchild? Wonder if Taggart can truly replicate that offense again without Weist or Kinnan around? He must have that playbook around somewhere. I believe he was hands-on with the offense back then. I usually just want to move forward when it comes to new Head Coaches, but I wouldn't mind getting that GCO back here. Weist would be Ok with me too.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I don’t want any HC that has had a taste of a big money contract. Young and hungry.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

Would rather have Jim

Edited by USFBULL_08
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

I like Tags fine enough simply because of the results he had at the end (yes even without a bowl win). 

I'm surprised by how many ppl feel "betrayed" by the fact he wanted to coach a team that had a realistic shot at making the playoffs and also wanted to get paid by striking when the iron was hot.  And so what if he bailed on Orgeon?  His family is from Florida and FSU doesn't hire coaches all that often, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

But I don't see him coming back here.  I think he made some comment about how he accepted the USF job b/c it was a BCS gig, but then the conference fell apart right away so he felt jipped or something.  I mean maybe if he was desperate and had no takers he'd come back...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

32 minutes ago, Vivadiscordia said:

One thing that the folks that want to bring back Taggart fail to recognize, is that you are not getting the same guy we had back then. If you think he is going to come in and start recruiting like he used to, you are delusional.

The Willie Taggart we hired was a relatively unknown up and coming head coach coming out of WKU. Recruits didn't really know anything about him other than what he presented outward. He had no baggage. 

The Willie Taggart of today has a reputation of being a loser. He had a high profile job at FSU with a ton of attention on him and the program, which ended with him being unceremoniously fired after 1.5 seasons. He also has the reputation of jumping ship at the first given chance and abandoning your ass. 

What is Willie Taggart's recruiting pitch today? Why would any recruit on earth want to come play for Willie Taggart, given what they know about him today? The Willie Taggart of today has a reputation, and a highly unfavorable one at that. 

I did not want to weigh in on this stupid thread. Just read, but you put it down so perfectly.  

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740

1 hour ago, Vivadiscordia said:

The Willie Taggart we hired was a relatively unknown up and coming head coach coming out of WKU. Recruits didn't really know anything about him other than what he presented outward. He had no baggage. 

Thank you. Willie T is damaged goods. We hired Charlie Strong as a once promising coach known for recruiting, built a team from the ground up, went to a AAA destination gig, failed, and needed a new gig. It would be the same story with Willie T, except he managed to get kicked off campus quicker. Do we really want to play that game back-to-back?

I'm very grateful for what Willie accomplished while he was here, but he wasn't perfect. His flaws (mostly in-game management & adjustments) have become more notable in his higher profile gigs.

We need to be looking forward, not backward. Lets not take someone else's sloppy seconds. We need to follow the rising star OC model.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314

4 hours ago, OnTheBus said:

Willie Taggart had a losing record (24-25) at USF.

Willie Taggart never won a bowl game for USF.

Willie Taggart made the choice to leave us for one year of Oregon.

Willie Taggart has a losing record (16-17) across two other HC gigs since leaving USF.

This is the real issue I have. He left before QF's senior season with one of the best offenses in the country, 2016 was the year we were going to finally ascend to the next level (conference championship then possibly a new years bowl). Really hard to forgive him for that, especially after he leaves Oregon after that ONE year.

If he turns it around here again, what's to stop him from bolting again if we are on the edge of greatness. In other words how can you really trust that he's in it for the long haul, the guys track record says he will take the best offer available at any time.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

I have given this thought. At first I’m all with NEB, but if he could answer the question, if he did return and did get success what would he do with it? Would he jilt us again or as someone pointed out he's humbled now and remains here. See he has seen the grass on the other side. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

The only way Tags should come back is if QF gets a 6th and 7th year of eligibility.

#noretreads

#noexlovers

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

#noexlovers. Perfect. Thanks, I was always a sucker for a hook up with an ex. Gotta turn the page.