• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bring back Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

14 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

Tags is turrible.  One game from getting fired for running his boring ass offense.  He says WTF and let’s QF run his playground offense and it works because QF was amazing and could improvise and pull out the magic.  We don’t have a QF on the team now.   It wasn’t CWT that got him the job at Oregon, it was QF and MM

And Tags recruited QF and MM, and he would find us another QF and MM.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

He’s already signed up to be one of the founding coaches of the NFL China

No kidding? I should not be surprised 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

10 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

He’s already signed up to be one of the founding coaches of the NFL China

#Bay made in China

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but for those who think QF made Taggart, consider this: Nobody else was recruiting Flowers at QB. Not sure Flowers was a guy who could thrive in ANY offense just by his ability to improvise. He really did nothing noteworthy in Taggart's original offense here. Many on this board criticized him for throwing a horrible ball (which was true). If he was at a school that ran a Pro Style Offense, like Temple for example, not sure we ever would have heard of him. He really didn't become the Human Highlight reel until the GCO came around. That offense was hard to defend, and put receivers in space where they could make plays. There was no offense better suited for QF than that. He did have a good year in Gilbert's offense, but his completion percentage dropped by about 10%, and he had 500 fewer rushing yards. I don't think anybody would have gotten more out of Flowers than Taggart did.

FWIW, I think Evans could potentially be another Flowers. He's an obvious weapon that the current regime has no idea how to use. The GCO would work here again. The some of the pieces are already in place. 

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

50 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Willie had a losing record:  Because he was left absolute garbage from Holtz.  Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick would not have won right away at USF due to the talent level.  The fact is he got better and better year after year until the USF offense was unstoppable.  FACT.

Willie never won a bowl game:  Because he LEFT before the bowl game USF won.  Otherwise, he would have.

Willie made the choice to leave for Ore:  True.  However, I would think he'd stick around a while this time.

Willie had a losing record:  Yes, he was taking over bad programs.  If Willie had stayed at Oregon, they would have won big just as they are doing now, and he was only given like 20 games at FSU.  His track record suggests he would have turned it around.  Here's some news for you.  ANY coach that takes over a dumpster fire is not going to win big their first year.    

Willie would have won more games in his first couple seasons if he (1) didn't hire Chuck Bresnahan to run the defense (2) didn't try to implement an overly-complicated Stanford offense that doesn't fit the strengths of Florida talent. Willie's offense wasn't unstoppable because of his schemes, it was a handful of NFL-talent homerun playmakers.

Willie never won a bowl game anywhere. Not just at USF. Four schools. 0 bowl wins. You can say that it's because he's left each team for a new team before a potential bowl victory (as if that's something you'd want to flaunt), but the fact remains that he has 0 bowl wins on his resume for his career.

You think he'd stick around this time? What do you base that on, other than your feelings?

Willie continually took over losing programs and bailed before they could establish enough consistent winning to let him exit with a wining record (Oregon aside). You think Oregon would be doing better if Willie stuck around? Mario Cristobal is a better coach than Willie Taggart. Cristobal has 2 more bowl victories and 3 more bowl appearances than Willie. Their career W/L ratios are almost identical. Oregon is better off right now.

Edited by OnTheBus

2 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

You think he'd stick around this time? What do you base that on, other than your feelings?

Do you think ANY successful coach will stick around here, or with any AAC team? Outside of Navy's coach (so far), nobody stays in the AAC if there's a better option. If your criteria for hiring a new HC includes him sticking around here after having some success, that narrows it down to approximately nobody.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, USFBulls727 said:

Do you think ANY successful coach will stick around here, or with any AAC team? Outside of Navy's coach (so far), nobody stays in the AAC if there's a better option. If your criteria for hiring a new HC includes him sticking around here after having some success, that narrows it down to approximately nobody.

I'm not saying anyone in particular *coughLarryScottcough* would stick around long term.

Least of all Willie T, as the user I was replying to suggested.

6 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

I'm not saying anyone in particular *coughLarryScottcough* would stick around long term.

Least of all Willie T, as the user I was replying to suggested.

What successful coach in the AAC stuck around for more than 3-4 years? That has been the pattern, and always will be as long as we're in this conference. Scott won't turn down P5 money if he comes here and wins.

I wouldn't put Taggart on any Mount Rushmore of great coaches, but USF is a good fit. He recruits the area well, and can put together an offense that will work for him. Not saying he's the #1 HC on my list, but I'm alright with him coming back, should that happen. As we've seen, we can do worse.

Edited by USFBulls727

Guest Jonesy Bull

I have mixed feelings.  I think we can do better than Tags.

But would take him over CCS not even close.

Loved his recruiting his enthusiasm and change in offense philosophy.  We had a hell of an offense his last year.

But he has deficiencies.  Dont think his overall coaching abilities are really that good.  Not good in game decisions or halftime adjustments imo.  And his time management skills suck.  We mostly out talented teams that year.

But I wouldnt be against bringing him back.  Maybe he can improve in those areas.

Would he want to come back though?  Thats tough to go back to a job you left.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, USFBulls727 said:

There is sticking around and there is sticking around. Slick Willie leaves programs after one year. He has zero loyalty to anyone but himself.