• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Start McCloud!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

BB should get the first half at Georgia Tech and if things haven't changed put in McLeod and don't look back.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

McCloud had a far better debut than the GOAT

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

I think Barnett’s weakness has always been slow and sometimes poor decision making. Not his athleticism or passing ability. By the time he does pass it, it’s a little late so the routes are off, or it’s to the wrong guy, meaning another option was more open. I recall one play last year he had a guy wide open for a TD but he threw it somewhere else. That said, he did have a few good passes last night that were dropped so his receivers weren’t much help. 

If McCloud is a quicker better decision maker even if less accurate, or if McCloud can scramble, I’m all for seeing what he has. 

Barnett hasn’t done anything within a live game to secure himself as the starter. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

BB should get the first half at Georgia Tech and if things haven't changed put in McLeod and don't look back.

I’d do the opposite, start McCloud, if McCloud sucks put in Barnett.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,354
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

This sounds reasonable, but only if BB is faltering on his own. He had plenty of help in looking bad.  I don't count dropped passes (catch-able), stupid penalties, line collapsing, etc. against him.   I don't envy a quarterback having to learn a whole new system and then being judged as incompetent due to the first ever performance of that system, how ever inadequate.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, USFStPete said:

It’s only been 4 plays but hey at least he got us past midfield. Dude has some spring in his step and a nice release. 

He just made a cameo, and still led the team in rushing, albeit against Wisky's 5th string defense...

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

I though Barnett looked solid to start the game until his receivers had no idea how to catch a football, and then it went downhill from there.  It’s hard to do much of anything when your run game is getting stuffed and your receivers can’t catch. With that said, I loved what I saw from McCloud even though it was against backups. His poise looked great, his arm was accurate and he was throwing on a line, and his legs made him look like a true dual threat. 

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,355

16 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I though Barnett looked solid to start the game until his receivers had no idea how to catch a football, and then it went downhill from there.  It’s hard to do much of anything when your run game is getting stuffed and your receivers can’t catch. With that said, I loved what I saw from McCloud even though it was against backups. His poise looked great, his arm was accurate and he was throwing on a line, and his legs made him look like a true dual threat. 

It almost reminded me of Groethe’s debut against McNeese State.

Similar to when Leavitt changed to Groethe at halftime, when McCloud entered the game, the offense just seemed to jump (albeit for a short period of time).

Of-course Barnett is a significantly better QB than Pat Julmiste was and I doubt that McCloud will supplant Barnett for GT.

It would be nice to see McCloud get some game time against SC State, but I certainly do not want to see a platoon or go through  the QB carousel we saw in 2014

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, bowman1 said:

It almost reminded me of Groethe’s debut against McNeese State.

Similar to when Leavitt changed to Groethe at halftime, when McCloud entered the game, the offense just seemed to jump (albeit for a short period of time).

Of-course Barnett is a significantly better QB than Pat Julmiste was and I doubt that McCloud will supplant Barnett for GT.

It would be nice to see McCloud get some game time against SC State, but I certainly do not want to see a platoon or go through  the QB carousel we saw in 2014

I agree with all of this. I feel like we should start Barnett against GT and if he’s sloppy go with McCloud, and then give McCloud the start against SC State either way. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,347
  • Days Won:  5

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

McCloud has the skills to scramble out of the pocket which is a necessity with this O line. Blake is going to get pummeled at Tech...there is a reason this is his third team 

My friend from Auburn told me to can Barnett and play the dual threat. Said we are best when we have a dual threat quarterback. Blake is a statue and why he played at AL is because he had the linemen to give him the time. We don’t. BTW Auburn is starting a true freshman at qb first time since 1946. 

Blake may start but if he struggles  early, ride McCloud.