• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What's more critical to vitality of program?

IPF or OCS?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

no idea. the better question is what does their lease at RayJay look like? what, if anything, does it cost USF when the time comes for Ray Jay to be renovated?

do people actually think Ray Jay will always be the same "good deal" ? are we really best served tying the interests of our program to the Bucs' use of an aging Ray Jay as their stadium? cuz Ray Jay instantly goes from "experience playing in a pro stadium (with seat backs for the fans!)" as its primary draw in lieu of an OCS to being an old piece of **** with red seats & a pirate ship if the Bucs ever do leave...

or conversely the rent goes up to fit the bill for renovations, at which point it's like paying for an engine swap on an Enterprise rental. 

we're talking about the future here, not just next year.

apples & oranges. The Swamp is an OCS. paying to renovate an OCS makes sense. paying to renovate an off-campus pro stadium does not. & this isn't a historic building we're talking about... It's not Lambeau or Soldier Field.

Ray Jay is now one of the older stadiums in the NFL, which currently have a life span of 30 years.

https://money.cnn.com/2014/09/08/news/companies/nfl-stadiums/index.html

image.jpg

Yeah, not real worried. The next Bucs stadium isn't going to be USF dependent and if they leave town, that only helps us **** or get off the pot.

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

Yeah, not real worried. The next Bucs stadium isn't going to be USF dependent and if they leave town, that only helps us **** or get off the pot.

exactly the point.

at some point in the not too distant future USF is going to have to **** or get off the pot when it comes to where they play football.

is the university going to be reactive or proactive? 

these are the things that distinguish serious programs from mediocre programs... it's pretty obvious which one we've been for the latter half of the program's history.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I think it's about time we took care of us: THE BULLS FANS!

I know a lot of you are hurting. But I told you something wasn't right when Q got us that TD last year and then they ran it back and won the game... At 4-0, I smelled a big rat.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

17 minutes ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

Ray Jay is now one of the older stadiums in the NFL, which currently have a life span of 30 years.

Did I miss something??

The last I checked, USF wasn’t playing in the NFL.

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Did I miss something??

The last I checked, USF wasn’t playing in the NFL.

image.jpg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,254
  • Days Won:  1

We need the IPF first followed by the OCS. The OCS would be best built after we get a p5 invite but if we are going to get the invite we have to start getting serious about winning conference titles. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

6 hours ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

that brings up an interesting point: the "vitality" of RayJay as a stadium worth playing in.

how much longer before the Bucs move out & RayJay no longer has the benefit of being a "pro stadium" ?

what's the lifespan of a stadium like RayJay?

i'd think the university would want to be ahead of the curve on an aging stadium.

I know it isn't a pro stadium but Liberty Bowl and Memphis come to mind.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

The small town I was born in has an OCS built in 1929, it’s still operating, updated/expanded-over the nearly years 90 years since.

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

The small town I was born in had an OCS built in 1929, it’s still operating, updated/expanded-over the nearly years 90 years since.

Same. I was born in a small town in Georgia and they built a 20k stadium for minor league baseball in 1944. By the 1970s the two high schools were playing football games there with 15k watching. In the 1990s the high schools combined bought the stadium and now it is first class with 12/13k a game watching. 

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

And this is the problem with our society today (and I get it - my thinking and mentality was part of the problem). I relate it to my living situation when I was in my early 30's. Years ago when I was single, I had two nice rides (a Boxster and a Z4), yet if I met some broad in a bar and wanted to show her my Bulls, I was bringing her back to a duplex that I rented from some schmuck with one of my college roommates (five years after graduating from USF). It was all about instant gratifications... gotta have the nice rides.

Now, married with two kids, I'd be willing to say I have one of the nicest views in all of San Antonio sitting twenty seven floors above the Riverwalk, however I'm also sporting two mini-vans and the days of owning BMW's and Porsche's are sidelined for at least the next two decades.

IPF's are for recruits that are looking for glitz and glamour. **** that. I remember working out underneath the Sun Dome when I played here. When you're killing yourself in the gym next to your teammate, you're not thinking about how nice the facility is that you're training in - you're thinking about surviving the workout (and you also have the underdog mentality because you appreciate what you have). Yes, we experienced some weather delays from time to time, but not enough creating a detriment to the program. If anything, as physical as practices were, having walk-thru's in the rec center allowed our bodies to heal when we had those weather delays.

Build the OCS first. There's nothing better than sitting outside on my front deck and watching the sunset in the evening... From. My. Home. Not some friend's house. Not a bar. My. Home. Home is where the heart is. Build the on campus stadium. Let the guys deal with mini-vans for now (if the LRS facility is considered a mini-van - sign me up please). We have nice on-campus facilities - we need a stadium on campus.  

• Upvote 1