• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas Tech Wants Mike Leach Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

What held back UCF for twenty something years? How about FAU? FIU? Pretty much every single coach all time ever that never accomplished as much as Leavitt starting from the ground floor and assending to the penthouse in under a decade. It’s truly remarkable and it’s sad that anyone can dare to not acknowledge it.

Leavitt absolutely deserves credit for how quickly he brought the program from nothing to a BCS conference. Pretty remarkable accomplishment, and I wouldn't argue with anybody calling him the best coach we've had here, however, there really isn't much evidence that we were ever going to be anything more than a middle of the pack Big East team under him. Again, we have every reason to be grateful for what he did for the program, but the 8-5 & 9-4 records MIGHT have been the ceiling for him. He's in his 60's now, and the landscape has obviously changed since he left. I haven't read the entire thread....and not sure if you are arguing that we should take him back if we had the opportunity? 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Again, we have every reason to be grateful for what he did for the program, but the 8-5 & 9-4 records MIGHT have been the ceiling for him.

This 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Leavitt absolutely deserves credit for how quickly he brought the program from nothing to a BCS conference. Pretty remarkable accomplishment, and I wouldn't argue with anybody calling him the best coach we've had here, however, there really isn't much evidence that we were ever going to be anything more than a middle of the pack Big East team under him. Again, we have every reason to be grateful for what he did for the program, but the 8-5 & 9-4 records MIGHT have been the ceiling for him. He's in his 60's now, and the landscape has obviously changed since he left. I haven't read the entire thread....and not sure if you are arguing that we should take him back if we had the opportunity? 

I am arguing we get some platonium from Lybians, get a DeLorean, install a flux capacitor, get it to 1.21 gigawatts of electricity, have the DeLorean travel 88 miles per hour, ignore the space time continuum and go back and stop that fateful event that has led to the dumpster fire that mostly became our program. If we can’t  do that would I get a kick out of having CJL back for a few years for old time sake? Sure. Do I think it would cure all of our ails and be the same again? Probably not.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

I am arguing we get some platonium from Lybians, get a DeLorean, install a flux capacitor, get it to 1.21 gigawatts of electricity, have the DeLorean travel 88 miles per hour, ignore the space time continuum and go back and stop that fateful event that has led to the dumpster fire that mostly became our program. If we can’t  do that would I get a kick out of having CJL back for a few years for old time sake? Sure. Do I think it would cure all of our ails and be the same again? Probably not.

CJL was perennial 8-5 records. We are on the same trajectory. He got out coached a lot. Thankful for everything he did. When we get a stadium it should hold his name and statue but that is where the story ends for us and him.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is the truth.... Pitt and Cuse working behind the conference's back to move to the ACC is what got us where we are.   Our cash cow was gone and the administration didn't strike while the Iron was hot so to speak on football specific facilities....   

With help from ESPiN

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, Brad said:

I’d consider Leavitt started with a lot of dudes with no field, Charlie started with Willie’s winners.

and we were 10-2. Then Willies winners left and we were stuck with a bunch young pups. Not really trying to make the argument that Strong is any better than Leavitt, just that theres no concrete evidence that we would be any better if he was here. There isn't even another program that he has lead to use as a basis. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

.....and maybe get the stadium thing underway back around that time when there was a lot more local...and National for that matter...interest in our program.

As far as bringing him back now, I think I would lean towards moving in a different direction, but it would be interesting getting him back. Probably close to zero chance of that though.

1 minute ago, USFBulls727 said:

.....and maybe get the stadium thing underway back around that time when there was a lot more local...and National for that matter...interest in our program.

As far as bringing him back now, I think I would lean towards moving in a different direction, but it would be interesting getting him back. Probably close to zero chance of that though.

Well we would bring back a sports almanac with us and use the bets to fund a major program with major facilities. Yes there is no chance of a USF/CJL reunion and if it did happen it would probably  be a more nostalgic change  than substantive one.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

CJL was perennial 8-5 records. We are on the same trajectory. He got out coached a lot. Thankful for everything he did. When we get a stadium it should hold his name and statue but that is where the story ends for us and him.

8-5 in where we were is like 12-0 with where we are. The trajectories are absolute inverses while CJL was here we were always on an upward trajectory and since he has been gone we have been on a  downward trajectory. We had never had a three win season, never had a 2 win season, never lost to an FCS team, never lost to UCF, never lost to a non major Florida school and never been in a conference this G-d forsakenly bad. To compare then to now and act like it’s the same can’t be an honest take it’s apples to oranges (which are both fruit so you can compare them some but they aren’t the same).

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

27 minutes ago, puc86 said:

That and an OCS should do the trick