• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas Tech Wants Mike Leach Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

Also this doesn’t really fit here but I’ve passed my quota and I am contractually obligated to point out the AAC sucks.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I find it funny that everyone talks about how much CJL got out coached...I am trying to remember some of the specific issues... In 2007 for instance, we lost to Rutgers... they ran a couple of fake kicks if I recall, and Ray Rice was a beast. They kept the ball away from our offense and still, we could have won if not for what I think was a bad call. Maybe they "out coached" us, but, when you're the underdog, you can take some chances. I don't remember the UConn game well enough to really comment. I think it was snowy and awful conditions. Leavitt did not recruit players from up north. Again, if I recall, it was an ugly game that was less than a TD loss? Defense played OK, offense couldn't get scores?

The Cincy game was the absolute worst that Grothe ever played. In fairness, most of our receivers were injured, and, also in fairness, Grothe put the ball in Carlton Mitchell's hands at the end of the game for the game-winner if he comes down with it. Kid was a freshman getting his first real playing time, not blaming him, but, the team and coaching staff still could have won that game even turning the ball over 47 times. Oregon was bad, don't know what happened other than maybe the team went a little crazy before the game celebrating what was an amazing year and they weren't ready. I think we also had a starting LB quit on us the day before or something. (BTW, all of those teams were ranked at some point during the season, and every one of them would beat everyone in our conference today 90% of the time - skewed by UCF hanging in with them likely)

In 2008, replacing Jenks, Moffit, and T Williams, the defense took a step back which cost us. Again, I don't remember specifics of all of the games, but, sometimes you just don't win. Doesn't mean the coach was incompetent, just means the game didn't go your way or the other team got the best of you. In 2009, we lost Grothe, I always felt like that was the special year that was stolen from us when he went down.

For all of the games everyone says he got out-coached in, do people give him credit for out-coaching Urban Meyer, Tubberville (with a way more talented team), Bobby Bowden (with a way more talented team), Holtz, Rodriguez, etc... Or, when the team wins, do the players get all of the credit?

We lost to Rutgers 49-16 in '08, and 31-0 to them in '09 under Leavitt, so I would say he was probably outcoached there, although I don't remember the specifics.

CJL is kind of hard to assess. I believe he reached his ceiling by being a middle of the pack Big East team, but I guess we'll never know for sure. At the same time, I'm not too sure there are too many coaches out there who could have taken the program from it's infancy, to #2 in 11 years (nobody has ever done such a thing)....and I doubt anyone else would have stuck around to see that out. He received offers from Alabama & Miami among others, and turned them down to stay here. Granted, there were problems at those schools at the time, but they were still "Destination" schools. USF WAS a destination job for Leavitt, and you have to love that if you're a fan of the program. If anyone wants him back, I don't have much of a problem with that. We know for sure that we can do worse...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

CJL’s predecessors

🤫

6 hours ago, Brad said:

🤫

You don’t remember who came before him? I guess I should proof read some of my rants. Successors. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,525
  • Days Won:  28

10 hours ago, puc86 said:

That his record was night and day better than every Coach other than Strong ( and Strong seems to be trending down) while he competed in conferences that were night and day better than our current one would seem to be strong enough trends to infer that things would have remained better had we stayed the course. There isn’t a single measurable where CJL doesn’t stack up amazingly better than the also rans that followed him a fact that gets glosses over by everyone that tries to make an argument against him. Alsways it’s what aboutism without ever addressing that every single what about they complain about CJL he out preforms CSH, CWT and CCS both individually and collectively.

CJL - 8-8 CUSA record and 25-26 big east record...what night and day difference are you referring too?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gatorbull325 said:

CJL - 8-8 CUSA record and 25-26 big east record...what night and day difference are you referring too?

Even in hand picking sub records to focus on that’s still better than the successors

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,525
  • Days Won:  28

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Even in hand picking sub records to focus on that’s still better than the successors

Bruuhhh you are too emotionally attached to CJL. You are cosigning a 500. record in CUSA and an UNDER 500. record in the Big East.  I've said my peace in this debate. No more replies. I like CJL, but he wasnt the greatest coach. 

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Bruuhhh you are too emotionally attached to CJL. You are cosigning a 500. record in CUSA and an UNDER 500. record in the Big East.  I've said my peace in this debate. No more replies. I like CJL, but he wasnt the greatest coach. 

Just the greatest we have had by leaps and bounds as proven by literally any measurable you would like to compare. The what aboutism doesn’t change the fact that even if you don’t like something about his record it’s worlds better than the successors.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

15 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Bruuhhh you are too emotionally attached 

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks @puc86 I find your “attachment” more reasonable and accurate than anyone’s detachment or stat scanning.  

• Upvote 1