• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas Tech Wants Mike Leach Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, Brad said:

The 7 straight, lot of cupcakes, lot of cupcakes last year.  Let’s talk out of conference big wins...last one was?

Notre Dame

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

I'm not screaming for his return, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me he's not the best coach we've had overall.

Same here.  People do try to put him down because “he couldn’t win a conference championship” early in the program when instead he was beating ranked teams.  People try to minimize his accomplishments.  Just like this board in 2008-2009 - people wanted him fired or killed (as one long gone member suggested). They all thought they knew so much.  They’ve virtually all disappeared - hundreds, if not thousands of them - I think out of embarrassment from the post-Leavitt years.  

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Notre Dame

You got it...  Year?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

I do not think anyone honestly believes that he will come back or that if by some miracle he did that things would instantly change. I think what some of us believe is that it was by far the most magical time to be a Bulls fan and that some members of our fanbase and administration sold that success for magic beans that never materialized. I have no doubt that our program would be in a better place had we stuck with CJL than taking the perilous course that we did and I only have to look at any form of data between him and his predecessors in order to prove it (and that doesn’t even account for the zeitgeist shift that is palpable).

This perfectly sums it up. For those of us around, there was a feeling back then that can't be explained. My gator friends would put me down, but, there was something about seeing a power being built from the start. Being a fan when it all got started, not just catching on after the team was good. Leavitt deserves to be romaticized on this board, those who don't see that, or, even further, argue against it, just don't get it. 

Ugh, Brad, 2010. The only big win since Leavitt has been gone. How many before? 

• Upvote 3

Bingo - to it all @Orlando Bull

And so we clamour for an AAC crown!

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,524
  • Days Won:  28

32 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’d consider Leavitt started with a lot of dudes with no field, Charlie started with Willie’s winners.

He had plenty of time to recruit better players. I give him a pass for the 1st  3 years, but year 4 and 5?  And when Skip got a hold of the team,  was he not left with CJL "winners"? lol Come on maaaaan. 

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Bingo - to it all @Orlando Bull

Especially the part where’s he said bingo to @puc86; that guy gets it.

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

4 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

CJL coudn't even beat out a 8-5 and 9-4 UCONN team for the Big East title. I know he's your boy, but he gets waaaay to big of a pass for his lack of success compared to the other coaches. And the cupboard of players he left us didnt exactly steamroll anybody when we became the AAC. 

Leavitt was consistently outcoached by Randy Edsall and Greg Schiano

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He had plenty of time to recruit better players.

Explain.

How does he catch up to say the 107 yard start Pitt had on South Florida?  

How much time do you believe it takes to recruit to a BCS level considering you’re a new commuter school program?

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,524
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Explain.

How does he catch up to say the 107 yard start Pitt had on South Florida?  

How much time do you believe it takes to recruit to a BCS level considering you’re a new commuter school program?

USF is in the state of Florida. I dont think Taggart or Strong would of had a hard time recruiting BCS talent right away.  And hell, after 5 CJL recruiting years later, I dont remember Holtz having that great of a team.

Edited by Gatorbull325