• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas Tech Wants Mike Leach Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I find it funny that everyone talks about how much CJL got out coached...I am trying to remember some of the specific issues... In 2007 for instance, we lost to Rutgers... they ran a couple of fake kicks if I recall, and Ray Rice was a beast. They kept the ball away from our offense and still, we could have won if not for what I think was a bad call. Maybe they "out coached" us, but, when you're the underdog, you can take some chances. I don't remember the UConn game well enough to really comment. I think it was snowy and awful conditions. Leavitt did not recruit players from up north. Again, if I recall, it was an ugly game that was less than a TD loss? Defense played OK, offense couldn't get scores?

The Cincy game was the absolute worst that Grothe ever played. In fairness, most of our receivers were injured, and, also in fairness, Grothe put the ball in Carlton Mitchell's hands at the end of the game for the game-winner if he comes down with it. Kid was a freshman getting his first real playing time, not blaming him, but, the team and coaching staff still could have won that game even turning the ball over 47 times. Oregon was bad, don't know what happened other than maybe the team went a little crazy before the game celebrating what was an amazing year and they weren't ready. I think we also had a starting LB quit on us the day before or something. (BTW, all of those teams were ranked at some point during the season, and every one of them would beat everyone in our conference today 90% of the time - skewed by UCF hanging in with them likely)

In 2008, replacing Jenks, Moffit, and T Williams, the defense took a step back which cost us. Again, I don't remember specifics of all of the games, but, sometimes you just don't win. Doesn't mean the coach was incompetent, just means the game didn't go your way or the other team got the best of you. In 2009, we lost Grothe, I always felt like that was the special year that was stolen from us when he went down.

For all of the games everyone says he got out-coached in, do people give him credit for out-coaching Urban Meyer, Tubberville (with a way more talented team), Bobby Bowden (with a way more talented team), Holtz, Rodriguez, etc... Or, when the team wins, do the players get all of the credit?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,382
  • Days Won:  25

We were not losing to Tulane....

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

4 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

USF is in the state of Florida. I dont think Taggart or Strong would of had a hard time recruiting BCS talent right away.  

Oh, ok. But AAC level talent is out of reach?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  472
  • Days Won:  0

I think if CJL were back this program would go crazy and so would the support . If we cold build on that excitement is another question that I don't have the answer to

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

just that theres no concrete evidence that we would be any better if he was here.

Which, by the nature of “concrete evidence” is impossible to deliver. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Which, by the nature of “concrete evidence” is impossible to deliver. 

That his record was night and day better than every Coach other than Strong ( and Strong seems to be trending down) while he competed in conferences that were night and day better than our current one would seem to be strong enough trends to infer that things would have remained better had we stayed the course. There isn’t a single measurable where CJL doesn’t stack up amazingly better than the also rans that followed him a fact that gets glosses over by everyone that tries to make an argument against him. Alsways it’s what aboutism without ever addressing that every single what about they complain about CJL he out preforms CSH, CWT and CCS both individually and collectively.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Well when he gets his next HC job and turns that team into something better than 9-4 there would be something to point to, but since 2009 not a single program has said we gotta have that guy. Meanwhile guys like Bobby Petrino continued get jobs so I don't really think slapgate has to much to do with that. 

That said, he seems to be the leading candidate for the Texas Tech job so maybe that changes. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Well when he gets his next HC job and turns that team into something better than 9-4 there would be something to point to, but since 2009 not a single program has said we gotta have that guy. Meanwhile guys like Bobby Petrino continued get jobs so I don't really think slapgate has to much to do with that. 

That said, he seems to be the leading candidate for the Texas Tech job so maybe that changes. 

That's a long time in the wilderness ain't it?! Maybe others think he's DC material and not HC material. Course his followers will say he won't take any job but Kansas or a very few others.

4 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

That's a long time in the wilderness ain't it?! Maybe others think he's DC material and not HC material. Course his followers will say he won't take any job but Kansas or a very few others.

I think most people would go with it having way more to do with mitigating factors than coaching success as he has seemed to do just fine for himself every where he has landed.

11 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

CJL’s predecessors have been much closer to 6-6 than 9 and anything