• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense Isn’t Improving

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

14 minutes ago, NJUSFBULL said:

Um....it was UMASS.  Those holes are not open against teams ranked in the top 100.  That O-line is not doing your boy Barnett any favors either, and again, we were playing UMASS!

and again... there were so many long TD runs you can't deduce anything... except the oline didn't play terrible.  Just because it was UMass doesn't mean they played terrible.  That's an awful measure... it's silly.  They ran like they were supposed to.  They didn't play terrible.  No they didn't, but we didn't need them to.  We have 2 freshman starting and they're getting better.  It's not just the oline, we have problems with blitz pickups... Barnett needs to make faster reads.  We're fine... we winning.  

33 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

True. Zone blocking was great, but these guys just cannot seem to maintain a pocket for BB. They're agile for big guys, but cannot hold their ground.

I think the inexperience at center is partially the problem... having two freshman starting comes with ups and downs. but the more they play the better they'll get better... hopefully. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Hoping for the best, but we'll see how Houston and Cincy go...  UCF is a rivalry game so anything can happen there.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Very disappointed in the defense of secondary today, which I thought was our strength overall this year. After the game many of the defense backs were saying that they were being picked almost all game...I don’t know if I’m buying that.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,583
  • Days Won:  29

USF racked up a season-high five takeaways (4 fumble recoveries, 1 INT) and freshman Vincent Davis (Jacksonville, Fla.) was stellar on special teams with two forced fumbles on kickoffs and a 12-yard touchdown return on the second.

Senior defensive end Josh Black (Tampa) set a new career with two sacks to lead USF's five-sack effort. Redshirt freshman defensive back Nick Roberts (Jacksonville, Fla.) posted a career-high 10 tackles while sophomore cornerback Mike Hampton(Tampa) intercepted a pass and made six tackles. Senior Juwuan Brown (Tampa) recovered two fumbles.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Tackling was awful

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I have no doubt if the starting defense was out on the field all game we win like 58 to 24 I hate we gave up all the points but not that worried about it.

I understand why CCS is playing alot of youngsters in this game....he knows we have a short work week and we have a long stretch of games now till end of season.  Try to keep your starters fresh and give the younger game experience. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

6 minutes ago, E.T. said:

USF racked up a season-high five takeaways (4 fumble recoveries, 1 INT) and freshman Vincent Davis (Jacksonville, Fla.) was stellar on special teams with two forced fumbles on kickoffs and a 12-yard touchdown return on the second.

Senior defensive end Josh Black (Tampa) set a new career with two sacks to lead USF's five-sack effort. Redshirt freshman defensive back Nick Roberts (Jacksonville, Fla.) posted a career-high 10 tackles while sophomore cornerback Mike Hampton(Tampa) intercepted a pass and made six tackles. Senior Juwuan Brown (Tampa) recovered two fumbles.

Well if you put it that way, I'd say it wasn't too bad of a defensive effort

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Wally Burnham gonna come out of retirement and be our Defensive Cord? Please please please. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Mike Hampton plays stellar one moment and then he takes plays off.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We are not good at being consistently good on defense.