• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense Isn’t Improving

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Elon beat #2 JMU...

BTW I wasn't expecting them to improve at all.

Edited by Thebullsfan

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

There were breakdowns in the secondary in the 2nd half.  I don't think they play Cover 2 very well and without being able to watch film that seemed like the problem.  Also, there were gap control and some tackling issues on blitz calls that created some big plays today.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I will be concerned when these things are happening to the starting defense for a full game.  I am not crazy about giving up all these yards, but there were a lot of freshmen getting significant playing time.  With 8 (hopefully 9) games in the next 8/9 weeks without another bye, entering the heart of conference play it is nice to be building experienced depth and not burning the starters out so they are fresh during our most difficult stretch.  

This is both sides of the ball.

Freshmen that saw significant playing time today (and earlier in the year as well).

St. Felix

Bentlee Sanders

Nick Roberts

Mekhi Lapoionte

Vincent Davis

Tony Grier, Jr.

Johnny Ford

Zion Roland

Donovan Jennings

I may have missed a few.  As long as we are winning and getting these young guys playing time and go into the conference stretch with fresh #1s I don't care about the stats, especially when most occur during garbage time.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

35 minutes ago, NJUSFBULL said:

Our offense wasn't as good as the 50+ points look.  The D scored some of those points.  Majority of yards came on a few big runs. Big runs that will not happen against better teams.  Aside from the first, non-penalty play of the game, the passing game was terrible.  Our O-line was terrible, receivers dropped/fumbled balls and Barnett continues to stare down his receivers.  Not to mention the dumb penalties!!!

We barely beat ECU.  Today Temple beat ECU 49-6!

But we're winning... A guy runs for over 300 yards and a 3TDs through gaping holes, and another guy runs for 77 2 TDs thorugh gaping holes, and you say the Oline played bad.  They didn't play great... but they were far from terrible. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

22 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

I will be concerned when these things are happening to the starting defense for a full game.  I am not crazy about giving up all these yards, but there were a lot of freshmen getting significant playing time.  With 8 (hopefully 9) games in the next 8/9 weeks without another bye, entering the heart of conference play it is nice to be building experienced depth and not burning the starters out so they are fresh during our most difficult stretch.  

This is both sides of the ball.

Freshmen that saw significant playing time today (and earlier in the year as well).

St. Felix

Bentlee Sanders

Nick Roberts

Mekhi Lapoionte

Vincent Davis

Tony Grier, Jr.

Johnny Ford

Zion Roland

Donovan Jennings

I may have missed a few.  As long as we are winning and getting these young guys playing time and go into the conference stretch with fresh #1s I don't care about the stats, especially when most occur during garbage time.

Jernard Phillps was in there too

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

19 minutes ago, Calibull said:

But we're winning... A guy runs for over 300 yards and a 3TDs through gaping holes, and another guy runs for 77 2 TDs thorugh gaping holes, and you say the Oline played bad.  They didn't play great... but they were far from terrible. 

True. Zone blocking was great, but these guys just cannot seem to maintain a pocket for BB. They're agile for big guys, but cannot hold their ground.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,312
  • Days Won:  25

43 minutes ago, NJUSFBULL said:

You did my last paragraph.  Do my first paragraph!

^ What he said

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159

OL not playing terrible...the scheme puts a lot on BB to make the reads on blitz...there have been a few times where they get beat on 1v1 pass rush but not as much as it probably seems.  Also Cronkrite having to do heavy lifting with no other RB's healthy running the ball and pass pro

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I think we had many second and third strings on defense in the second half when game was out of hand.

Umass has a decent offense but they are going to score on 2nd and 3rd stringers

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356

32 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Um....it was UMASS.  Those holes are not open against teams ranked in the top 100.  That O-line is not doing your boy Barnett any favors either, and again, we were playing UMASS!