• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gotta Get This Off The Chest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

As a former college athlete, I can assure you I typically operated at about 80%. Cheering loudly got me to 90%. Standing AND cheering is literally the only time I gave a 100% effort on the field.

My  dad was a coach,  he would have had you on the bench or off the team.

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

My  was a coach,  he would have had you on the bench or off the team.

He is being sarcastic.

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

You were looking in the stands to see if people were standing?  Okay, if you say so. I didn't play.  And shame on you for not giving 100% all the time. What did you do at road games? 

My dad was a coach who would have had him on the bench, and most likely made his sorry ass quit the team.

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

Road games... it was just understood that the entire team was operating at a severe effort disadvantage. I mean, they had people clapping, some whistling, hell, sometimes people stood up! You can't compete with that. Some days, you just know you're going to lose because the other team's crowd stands for long stretches at a time, even through breaks in the action.

As a former player, I say what a crock.  I wouldn’t have wanted to have been associated with that sorry ass team.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, puc86 said:

I would say it makes it measurably more exciting for them than sitting quietly would.

You’re a spectator , not part of the game/show.  Do you also dress like a rodeo clown?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

You’re a spectator , not part of the game/show.  Do you also dress like a rodeo clown?

Many preformaces have audiences participation. Sports like the others have this. The cheerleaders have signs that literally say to stand, the players wave there arms to get up and the Jumbotron begs for participation. If people go to the tonight show they have cues to participate and listening to those cues is expected. Being an engaged spectator is typically seen as a good thing when one chooses to spectate but I could understand why it would be looked down on this board.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

6 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Why were you sitting at Soldier Field for 13 years?

Hah good catch.  I saw 114 and was triggered by its association with Ray Jay terribleness.  

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

5 hours ago, puc86 said:

Being an engaged spectator is typically seen as a good thing when one chooses to spectate but I could understand why it would be looked down on this board.

I think it comes down to age sometimes.  Like I said, we need all the ticket sales we can get.  The community is also pretty lukewarm about the product in general for some unknown reason.   

Next time I come down is the UCF game.  Let's see if The Library can match the rusted bounce house.  

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, JTrue said:

As a former college athlete, I can assure you I typically operated at about 80%. Cheering loudly got me to 90%. Standing AND cheering is literally the only time I gave a 100% effort on the field.

This is absolutely hilarious. The fact that others took you serious made it even more so. Some creative, top-notch sarcasm here...

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

I see nothing has changed at TBP... the standing vs. sitting argument is older than I am. Lol.

i think the lean years after xCJL was fired sucked a lot of energy out of the fan base. we obviously lost a lot of fans & the non-marquee games reverted to a "quaint way to spend a quiet Saturday afternoon sitting in a red plastic chair & sipping $10 draft beers where the Bucs play on Sundays" 

after I graduated & moved from the student section to season tickets on the east aisle of 125 (row M!) in 2008 we stood entire games (if they were competitive), we were loud, we narrowly avoided brawls with Miami & Rutgers fans...

I got the occasional dirty look for my general comportment, but the majority of fans within earshot (which included most of 126 as well) not only seemed to enjoy the rowdiness but joined in once I got going. I even had a counterpart in 126 that would shout equally insane things as I did. 

for the four seasons I was in 125, from 2008 to 2012, the South Endzone seemed to embrace the "rowdy young alum" designation & tried our hardest to match the intensity of the students in the North Endzone. there were several groups of young season ticket holders that sat in the surrounding rows; I got to know them well, they were like my second family for 6 Saturdays a year in fall.

no one EVER told me to sit down.

then I went to work in South America for a year & a half & when I came back, it was completely different. most of the "family" had been replaced by empty seats & quiet old sitters who sipped their beers thru straws. Nobody was rude, but nobody joined in the rambunction. it was like attending a game in the old "quaint Saturday afternoon" era.

ive attended a couple games a season since then, but the LACK of excited young alumni fans who treated our section as a family & embraced the challenge of being loud & rowdy was an experience killer & has actually prevented me from attending some of the random non-marquee games I used to just jump in the car & drive to on Saturdays.

in other words, the old stiffs who think they can decide for others what's "exciting" & when it's "acceptable to stand" can KILL the vibe. if I want to sit on my ass & only get loud half a dozen times a game I can sit on my couch or go to a bar. The beer is cheaper & the company isn't as stiff & lifeless.

remember, your fellow fans are PART of the experience. The crazy young fans standing, shouting mildly inappropriate taunts, instigating other fans to be loud ARE PART OF THE STADIUM EXPERIENCE.

just because you're a bitter old fart with a bum knee & want to sit all game doesn't mean u should ruin the experience for others by whining & moaning about the "etiquette" of when it is "appropriate" to stand. WE are the ones that make the most noise & encourage others to do so.

to quote some random rap song... "***** don't kill my vibe"

we do what we do FOR THE TEAM. sitters do what u do for your own comfort.

SELFISH!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

Road games... it was just understood that the entire team was operating at a severe effort disadvantage. I mean, they had people clapping, some whistling, hell, sometimes people stood up! You can't compete with that. Some days, you just know you're going to lose because the other team's crowd stands for long stretches at a time, even through breaks in the action.

Serious question. If you are playing on the road and you hear noise, doesn't that pump you as well if, as you say, it is the noise and standing that get you going.

I've used this example before.  At baseball games, a home batter is up and has a full count, everyone is yelling and screaming.  When the home pitcher has 2 strikes on an opponent all the people are yelling and screaming.  So is that noise an advantage for, the batter, pitcher or fielders? Home team or visitors?