• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critiquing Joey Knight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

If I have to vote.....I vote for Joey....the other ones are really sad. My head still hurts from reading those Baker snippets.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

I don't have any real issues with Joey.  I'm sure he doesn't know my name but we exchange "Hellos" if I ever run into him.  Have never engaged him in conversation.  His writing style was "different" especially when he first started covering USF.  It seemed like he wanted to be a novelist.  Not saying it was good or bad it was just different that I was used to with Greg.  Like everyone else I'm perplexed by the fixation on "actual" numbers.  UCF gets numbers reported on tickets sold, distributed, etc along with most other teams. What is the big deal that USF reports numbers the same way?

Didn't Greg come on here every once in a while to answer questions?  Would be nice for Joey to make that effort as well. I'm sure that people would appreciate that even if they still disagreed with him.  Greg seemed to have info that we didn't have.  Don't know if Joey can impart new stuff to us or not but still would like to see this.

As for Fennelly and Jones, I'm ambivalent toward Fennelly and actually like Jones's writing.  Don't agree with him all the time but just like the way he writes.  And he'll answer you every time you send him an email.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Knight does a decent job overall.  The main problem with Joey is his constant fixation on "actual" attendance.  The problem is that it is an apples to oranges comparison to literally every single other FBS program in the country, and he knows it.  The apples to apples to comparison is announced attendance, which literally every other 129 FBS programs use and ONLY use.  Thus, making it seem like USF attendance is worse than it really is.

Oh, he will tell you his is reporting both, but in reality, the announced only gets used once in his twitter feed.  The actual attendance gets used not only on his twitter feed, but also all over his articles.  The other day, he wrote an attendance article, supposedly being positive about USF's attendance, and yes, you guessed it he used actual in his article.  Joey, I have news for you, every other FBS program's beat writer uses announced attendance in their articles.  What do you not understand about this.  Is this really that hard to grasp. Heck, use both if you want, but at least reference announced, so everyone can see the apples to apples comparison with everyone else in the entire country.  Everyone else is using their apples number and comparing it to our oranges number and bashing us for it. 

Do you every see any other FBS program using anything other than announced.  Heck, we will even go with those that play in off campus stadiums such as Miami, Pitt, UConn, Memphis, etc.  Where is their "actual" attendance.  Usually they get reported only announced, except on rare occasions when someone makes a request to dig the actual numbers out, but certainly not on a week to week basis.  I don't think Miami has ever had actuals given, and we all know how much they fluff their numbers.

Give it a rest, Joey.  Use the standard (announced attendance) that is used by every single other FBS program in the country, all 129 of them. 

Edited by BullsFanInTX
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

58 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Knight does a decent job overall.  The main problem with Joey is his constant fixation on "actual" attendance.  The problem is that it is an apples to oranges comparison to literally every single other FBS program in the country, and he knows it.  The apples to apples to comparison is announced attendance, which literally every other 129 FBS programs use and ONLY use.  Thus, making it seem like USF attendance is worse than it really is.

Oh, he will tell you his is reporting both, but in reality, the announced only gets used once in his twitter feed.  The actual attendance gets used not only on his twitter feed, but also all over his articles.  The other day, he wrote an attendance article, supposedly being positive about USF's attendance, and yes, you guessed it he used actual in his article.  Joey, I have news for you, every other FBS program's beat writer uses announced attendance in their articles.  What do you not understand about this.  Is this really that hard to grasp. Heck, use both if you want, but at least reference announced, so everyone can see the apples to apples comparison with everyone else in the entire country.  Everyone else is using their apples number and comparing it to our oranges number and bashing us for it. 

Do you every see any other FBS program using anything other than announced.  Heck, we will even go with those that play in off campus stadiums such as Miami, Pitt, UConn, Memphis, etc.  Where is their "actual" attendance.  Usually they get reported only announced, except on rare occasions when someone makes a request to dig the actual numbers out, but certainly not on a week to week basis.  I don't think Miami has ever had actuals given, and we all know how much they fluff their numbers.

Give it a rest, Joey.  Use the standard (announced attendance) that is used by every single other FBS program in the country, all 129 of them. 

Again... this is an issue for the Tampa government. Joey is just reporting it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Dude, we get it ... Joey's clearly hired you as his PR man for TBP.  You took the $ and are running with it.  You're carrying his banner well.  We totally get it!  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

17 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I get that we're required to document actual attendance numbers.  I just find it hard to believe that city leaders are using JK's twitter feed or articles as their official record of these numbers.  If they are, shame on them for not having a better system in place.  If they aren't, shame on JK for insisting on broadcasting a number that can be found somewhere else and unnecessarily makes us look worse. 

50 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Dude, we get it ... Joey's clearly hired you as his PR man for TBP.  You took the $ and are running with it.  You're carrying his banner well.  We totally get it!  

LOL...sorry man, I just don't get the thinned skin mentality of some on this board. All the pissing and moaning in the world is not going to change Joey from reporting the actual attendance numbers. In his mind he feels it is a story as it shows the REAL popularity of the football program. The reality is our attendance sucks (and I wish I was in position to help more) and and the proof is in our actual attendance. If USF marketing gets aggressive like they did before the last game I think all of this will be less of an issue.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,634
  • Days Won:  6

22 minutes ago, cdub3511 said:

I get that we're required to document actual attendance numbers.  I just find it hard to believe that city leaders are using JK's twitter feed or articles as their official record of these numbers.  If they are, shame on them for not having a better system in place.  If they aren't, shame on JK for insisting on broadcasting a number that can be found somewhere else and unnecessarily makes us look worse. 

It's not City leaders.  TSA is required by law to post the actual attendance for any event at RayJay as the promoter, team, event organizer, etc. must pay a per ticket fee as part of the original "community stadium" funding package and subsequent TSA and Hillsborough County budgets.  The Hillsborough County Commission is party to the original and subsequent contracts and they determined early on that the fee should be paid on actual attendance and not sales or distribution so attendance numbers are now public information.  The original documents just spoke to the per ticket fee but did not define what it was to be leveraged against.  Joey and others are just picking up what TSA reports for that purpose and publishing it in a negative way. 

It was not that way in the early days of RayJay when season ticket holders and corporate sponsors actually used their tickets and the announced crowds looked like what was actually in the seats.  Once the discrepancy became obvious when attendance started to decline, the media jumped on the actual figure because they found out it was publicly available.

This would be one of the big advantages of having an OCS even at a state university as the actual attendance number would not legally affect any budgets or funding and therefore would not be public information.  I'm not a lawyer, but just my 2 cents.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

LOL...sorry man, I just don't get the thinned skin mentality of some on this board. All the pissing and moaning in the world is not going to change Joey from reporting the actual attendance numbers.

Do you honestly think that you ... one man among many on here ... can change the nature of the board?

I don't think it's possible, but if you are up for the challenge, have at it ... :shade:

41 minutes ago, cdub3511 said:

Fair point. My understanding is that the any arena in Tampa that is financed by the public has to show actual numbers so citizens can see how impactful their tax dollars are. Thus, the Tampa Sports Authority (or whatever it is called) is legally required to publish the number. All Joey is doing is reporting on what that number actually is.