• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critiquing Joey Knight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

Outside of his attendance obsession, I really don't think he's all that bad.

In general I agree he's not THAT bad of a sports reporter, but while his slants aren't Sentinel-worthy, he definitely seems to throw in a dig or two with every article that makes me turn my head sideways--just not necessary, and makes me feel like even when he's writing a USF article, he's writing to UF/FSU fans.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

21 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

While I think the odds are good that we get someone that has a similar level of "passion" and "respect" for the job that Joey shows, we also COULD get someone that is excited to be covering the Bulls and would do so with the panache that Greg once had. For starters, a USF grad would be perfect for the job. Someone that wants to cultivate the relationships necessary to properly cover a college football program, respecting the program, but also understanding the appropriate amount of journalistic integrity to assign to the coverage of a college athletic department. I would gladly do it, but I have a full-time job already. 

Is THAT what you call it?  :guinness:

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

38 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

he definitely seems to throw in a dig or two with every article that makes me turn my head sideways--just not necessary,

I think reality differs from your perception ...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

He chose a dying profession, he's within his right to do whatever he can to increase traffic through clicks.  Just be glad you went to school to be a lawyer, engineer, or whatever.  

1 hour ago, Triple B said:
2 hours ago, raptorcj said:

he definitely seems to throw in a dig or two with every article that makes me turn my head sideways--just not necessary,

I think reality differs from your perception ...

Like most, my perception rarely goes 100% hand-in-hand with reality. All I recall is my reactions to several, and I'm not a "look for a way to twist it" kinda guy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

Just now, raptorcj said:

Like most, my perception rarely goes 100% hand-in-hand with reality. All I recall is my reactions to several, and I'm not a "look for a way to twist it" kinda guy.

Agree completely and I'm not saying he's perfect but "a dig or two in every article" is kind of overblown...... Maybe you're thinking of our future beat writer, Matt Baker?

21 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Agree completely and I'm not saying he's perfect but "a dig or two in every article" is kind of overblown...... Maybe you're thinking of our future beat writer, Matt Baker?

Maybe overblown...meh, doesn't really matter. Don't follow Matt, sounds like it's a blissful ignorance ;)

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

In light of the WSJ article on attendance JK has no leg to stand on. FSU and Florida’s announces attendance vs actual attendance is the same or worse than ours yet it gets no mentions by him or anyone else at the paper. Also 75% of schools apparently have both available yet no one else cares. If jk honestly cared about integrity in sports attendance reporting he could have written the wsj piece but instead he was willfully ignorant of the facts and made it seem USF had an issue by following industry best practices. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

37 minutes ago, puc86 said:

In light of the WSJ article on attendance JK has no leg to stand on. FSU and Florida’s announces attendance vs actual attendance is the same or worse than ours yet it gets no mentions by him or anyone else at the paper. Also 75% of schools apparently have both available yet no one else cares. If jk honestly cared about integrity in sports attendance reporting he could have written the wsj piece but instead he was willfully ignorant of the facts and made it seem USF had an issue by following industry best practices. 

Have not followed this whole thread but both Minn and Purdue hurting ticket sales

http://www.startribune.com/how-plunging-ticket-sales-have-changed-gophers-sports/491766811/

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Have not followed this whole thread but both Minn and Purdue hurting ticket sales

http://www.startribune.com/how-plunging-ticket-sales-have-changed-gophers-sports/491766811/

I just read that article, I assume it’s to show other people report and harp on actual attendance? Because in my reading the entire thing seems to be about  sales and what would be reported attendance. The issue is not with pointing out attendance is bad. It’s that it seems this is the only example where reported vs actual is harped on and makes it appear USF is doing something uniquely dishonest when in fact it’s the writer that’s doing that.