• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critiquing Joey Knight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Have seen both numbers for the Bucs in the newspaper but no idea if they're both conveyed through any other means to the masses ...

Oh, so at least we KNOW that there are two different sets of numbers for the Bucs as well.

I have never followed the Bucs that closely to know whether their actual and reported attendance numbers have been made into a big deal by their beat reporters over the years. 

Just doing a quick search I found this old article on the Bucs attendance. LOL

Buccaneers actual attendance today lower than Cincy-USF

• Times Editor

Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:41pm

The Bucs announced a sellout crowd today of 62,422 at Raymond James Stadium.

But one glance at the stands told you the actual number fans on hand was much fewer, like nearly 20,000 people fewer. 

The Tampa Sports Authority, which manages the stadium, tells us the actual attendance today was 42,847, a shockingly low number even for a winless team. On Thursday night, the University of South Florida drew an actual crowd of 55,073 for its loss to then-No. 8 Cincinnati.

The team avoided a television blackout when it announced on Wednesday that all tickets would be sold. But it has long been speculated the team was making arrangements to account for unsold tickets whether with the local television affiliates or companies that intend to buy advertising during the broadcast. The team has taken a no-comment stance on matters related to ticket sales and refuses to disclose how many season tickets it has sold for 2009.

This news does not bode well for the remainder of the season. The Bucs have four home games remaining and presumably will have trouble selling tickets if the team's play continues to be wretched.

[Last modified: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:45pm]

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/buccaneers-actual-attendance-today-lower-cincy-usf

So, if anybody follows Greg Auman on twitter, does he report the actual and reported attendance for the Bucs each game?

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

So, if anybody follows Greg Auman on twitter, does he report the actual and reported attendance for the Bucs each game?

If he doesn't, we should all start tweeting at him every week asking for the actual numbers. Maybe he'll get so annoyed he'll have a talk with Joey.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, RaisingFenix said:

If he doesn't, we should all start tweeting at him every week asking for the actual numbers. Maybe he'll get so annoyed he'll have a talk with Joey.

Pretty sure the SOP for being annoyed on Twitter is blocking users.  I'm guessing Greg is so busy doing his job he doesn't give a **** about what Joey is up to.  

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

Pretty sure the SOP for being annoyed on Twitter is blocking users.  I'm guessing Greg is so busy doing his job he doesn't give a **** about what Joey is up to.  

Sorry, forgot to use the facetious font.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

6 minutes ago, RaisingFenix said:

Sorry, forgot to use the facetious font.

One doesn't exist.  There is a sarcasm one, though.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

19 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s a big deal as it is an actual reflection of USF’s popularity. I suspect if conference realignment happens it will be a question. Is it fair considering other schools don’t have actual? No, but blame that on Tampa govt. 

I really dont think it has much to do with popularity.  Its just a number of people that show up.  I really dont understand why it's needed.  Maybe it makes him look better than his colleagues in other markets.  For fans all over the country it's wasted info.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

22 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

However, my point is that it is Tampa in general and USF alumni/fans specifically contribute to Joey's reporting on this issue, and if we don't agree with what he is saying we have no one to blame but ourselfs for not getting to the stadium (thus, I think Joey is a bit of a scape goat here for us fans who really care about the program). 

More butts in seats and you no longer have an issue of reporting actual versus announced attendance. I agree with NewEngland's stance here. Demand better coverage locally, get to the games, vote with your money, and rep your green and gold.

The attendance against Cinci was a nice surprise, I hope the upward trend continues against Houston and the rest of our home slate. 

Edited by Paisa el Toro
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I think I've been pretty positive when responding to Fennelly's recent pathetic stories. I believe my last tweet was something along the lines of:

"...you need to get laid because your frustration is reflected in the quality of your work" or something to that effect. I believe I even offered to start a GoFundMe page to help him find a hooker.

I disliked Greg when he was our beat writer because he's a Gator (and even more now considering he's a flaming liberal and a Gator), however I do appreciate the quality of his work and the time he puts into his craft. His kid writes well for a young buck as well - so I give him some extra props for raising his kid well (writing well is a lost art form). You don't necessarily have to like someone, but you can respect their work ethic. 

With Brett, I've always gotten along with him in person. His stories aren't always fanboy stories, and I'm fine with it. He did hold back a story back in 2000 that could have very well led to some suspensions for two key players on our team. If he had reported it early on when he first got word, things might not have played out the way they did. The Joel Miller incident DID happen and it cost Leavitt his job. I've gotten a little bit more mature since my days in college (not too much if you read some of my tweets), however I DO want Leavitt to succeed and hopefully get another HC gig. However if that incident had gone down with BJ Daniels or anyone else on that roster, Leavitt would have been missing some teeth after halftime.

Anyways... the current beat writers leave a lot to be desired. Baker ranks up there with the most clueless poll voters in America... it's sad reading his logic when he drops his poll each week. But hey, anything for clicks, right?