• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critiquing Joey Knight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

People see what they want to see. JK is far from perfect, the attendance thing being a perfect example, and he’s no GA but some of the things he gets dinged on is a freakin joke. 

If I remember, GA would always call out the  "actual" attendance also.  The difference being we had better attendance and GA flooded us content.  

GA spoiled us, and JK is some combo of not as good/not as interested/ held back by editors.  Doesn't help that he's not a cheerleader.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

9 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

We were trying to be discrete when sending our agent into enemy territory. Didn't work.

I may only have a degree in social justice warfare, but it's still hard to fool LOB99.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

5 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

I didn't speak with him about concerns regarding his USF coverage.  I've had questions regarding numerous USF topics and he's been receptive and answered them.  Instead griping about his coverage on a board give him a call or an email.  

Just like griping about USF Athletics.  Attend a Board Meeting.  They are open to the public.  I'm not trying to be combative.  More just offering opportunities to be heard beyond a fan website.

Go Bulls!

I have seen the snark that he responds to anyone that remotely criticizes or questions him on Twitter. Doesn't quite play out the way you are describing. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I have seen the snark that he responds to anyone that remotely criticizes or questions him on Twitter. Doesn't quite play out the way you are describing. 

Ok, I'm not on Twitter so its hard for me to comment on that platform.  Perhaps the limited character count limits the message.  Give him a call with a few examples and speak with him.

As for attendance, reporting butts in seats is a staple of the job.  Not his job to put butts in seats.  That position is open at USF.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Eye of the beholder. The only times I have seen him snarky is when an individual does the same. He has made his position clear on why he reports actual attendance and yet still gets the question “why do you do it?” Instead of complaining about the messenger it would be great if people actually went to the game...which after all is the real problem. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

11 hours ago, gibbsak said:

If I remember, GA would always call out the  "actual" attendance also.  The difference being we had better attendance and GA flooded us content.  

While he reported it, he never beat us over the head with it. There were huge discrepancies back then, too

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

20 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Eye of the beholder. The only times I have seen him snarky is when an individual does the same. He has made his position clear on why he reports actual attendance and yet still gets the question “why do you do it?” Instead of complaining about the messenger it would be great if people actually went to the game...which after all is the real problem. 

I am not speaking specifically to the attendance issue. I am talking about his responses in general. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions, but if you go read his tweets and replies, he comes across to me as snarky and needlessly defensive at times. None of this changes the fact that he is essentially a glorified Google News Alert retweeting the work of others, doesn't seem to have fostered the relationships necessary to get breaking news, and seems generally disinterested in covering USF. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

7 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I am not speaking specifically to the attendance issue. I am talking about his responses in general. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions, but if you go read his tweets and replies, he comes across to me as snarky and needlessly defensive at times. None of this changes the fact that he is essentially a glorified Google News Alert retweeting the work of others, doesn't seem to have fostered the relationships necessary to get breaking news, and seems generally disinterested in covering USF. 

This.  Joey hates his job and it shows in his work and attitude when engaging his customers.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/17/2017 at 4:14 PM, Triple B said:

If that were true, at the very least, he wouldn't bother with actual attendance numbers ...

Disagree...facts matter...as does actual attendance. He harps on it just like many of us do....because the lack of student and community support frustrates us like crazy. If it doesn't then you just don't care.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

My issue with JK has always been his interest in pointing out negative things, like attendance, and gloss over any positive things. I don’t have examples, but there have been times when I thought “that could have been written differently and it wouldn’t have seemed so negative”. You would think the beat writer for a school would take those steps to bring positivity to the program