• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critiquing Joey Knight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

21 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Have you seen the guy?  He's whatever he says he is.  

True

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Speaking about JK, he just couldn't wait to hack this piece out. 

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/06/15/as-beer-flows-at-college-sporting-events-so-does-criticism/

Got to love the crap in your own backyard attitude. 

"TAMPA — It was a collegiate celebration befitting a major facility ground-breaking, or a seven-figure donation, or the attainment of an academic benchmark. Hors d'oeuvres were served; boosters and broad smiles abounded.

"This is a historic day for the University of South Florida, and for our community," Dr. Judy Genshaft, USF's president, told the audience.
And with that, the most prominent structure on USF's main campus — home to more than 30,000 undergraduate students — was re-named after a brewery.

Effective July 1, the USF Sun Dome becomes the Yuengling Center, at least in a formal sense. Many are sure to invoke catchier references.

The Foam Dome. The Suds Dome. House of Brews. Nicknames that stick with the college-age demographic.

"We know from studying this for a long time now, that when kids are exposed to this kind of advertising, they're likely to start drinking earlier," said Dr. Craig Ross, a veteran scientific advisor to the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

"And they're also likely to start drinking more and to be more likely to suffer consequences from their drinking.""

That's just an example of the garbage of the day. Way to blame the schools and not the individual kids whom break the law of their own volition.

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

JK couldn't handle the positive competition;

Adding Alcohol A Growing Trend At College Sporting Events - Forbes

Mar 3, 2016 - The NCAA only prohibits alcohol sales at NCAA-sanctioned ... First, athletic departments generally have to split the revenue with the ...

Colleges chug beer dollars - SportsBusiness Daily

Jul 31, 2017 - College events used to be off-limits for beer marketers because of the ... that beer is seeping deeper into the culture of college events: The NCAA will ... The revenue from beer sales is one obvious attraction for schools to pour.

NCAA Takes Another Step Toward Expanding Alcohol Sales At ...

Nov 2, 2017 - The NCAA BOG has "rescinded its regulation outlawing all alcohol sales at any NCAA-sanctioned postseason event and handed over the ...

Alcohol: Coming soon to a college football stadium near you ...

Jun 27, 2016 - For the first time, NCAA-sanctioned beer and wine are being sold at the CWS. ... a staple at college events, but in some cases, endorsed heartily by the NCAA. ... They own the fact that alcohol sales produce more revenue.

Colleges, seeking revenue, consider beer sales at stadiums

Jun 22, 2014 - Colleges, seeking revenue, consider beer sales at stadiums ... Though the NCAA does not sell alcohol at its championship events, including ...

Colleges turning to beer sales at stadiums as alternative revenue stream

www.espn.com/.../colleges-turning-beer-sales-stadiums-alternative-revenue-stream
Aug 22, 2014 - North Texas, SMU and Troy University will begin beer sales to the general public ... TheNCAA does not sell alcohol to the general public at its ...

Alcohol sales at NCAA championships weighing the good vs. bad

collegead.com/pros-cons-alcohol-comes-to-college-sports-championship-events/
Apr 23, 2018 - Pros & Cons: Alcohol Comes to NCAA Championship Events ... to take in on average 22% of the revenue from alcohol sales at their events.

NCAA doesn't allow alcohol in tournament, so here are workarounds ...

Mar 15, 2018 - The NCAA doesn't let you drink alcohol at March Madness games, but .... the NCAA only wants brands that pay it ad revenue to be present on broadcasts. ... selling alcohol at their campus-sponsored, regular-season events,” ...

Struggling with low attendance at games, colleges turn to beer sales

Sep 19, 2016 - For decades, beer sales at college football games were nearly unheard-of. ... Last year, according to the NCAA, attendance at Football Bowl ... more than $3 million in revenue from alcohol sales since it began selling beer in 2011. ... “Selling alcohol at sporting events is not a prevention strategy,” White said.

SEC, NCAA want more money from selling alcohol at events | The State

www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south.../usc.../article84625752.html
Jun 18, 2016 - For the first time, the NCAA will allow beer sales in general seating areas at ... also admits that an added revenue stream is part of the equation.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

It's a pretty big deal to name the building after a beer company on a college campus.  Lots of data and measurable out there that speak to alcohol and underage and binge drinking.  I'm all about personal accountability, however, I also am not a fan of fanning the flame when there is no need. 

I don't see JK's piece as a hack job vs. USF.  Lots of outlets picked up the story and the overwhelming feeling was it tests the boundaries.  While we are not the first and won't be the last, the overwhelming majority of colleges and universities will stay away from these types of deals with these types of companies. 

We are in it now, so I guess we make the best of it. 

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

When I went to college at USF it seemd illegal drugs were the main source of entertainment.

And we didn’t have any cartels or street gangs sponsoring any buildings.

I doubt beer wins out in the dorms.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

29 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

It's a pretty big deal to name the building after a beer company on a college campus.  Lots of data and measurable out there that speak to alcohol and underage and binge drinking.  I'm all about personal accountability, however, I also am not a fan of fanning the flame when there is no need. 

I don't see JK's piece as a hack job vs. USF.  Lots of outlets picked up the story and the overwhelming feeling was it tests the boundaries.  While we are not the first and won't be the last, the overwhelming majority of colleges and universities will stay away from these types of deals with these types of companies. 

We are in it now, so I guess we make the best of it. 

Go Bulls!

I will venture to guess that not a single person will be directly influenced to drink because the Sun Dome is now the Yuengling Dome. Turn on the TV for one hour and try not to see a beer/liquor commercial. 

I will say this though, a really good journalist would have been able to get their hands on the financials for this deal already. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I will venture to guess that not a single person will be directly influenced to drink because the Sun Dome is now the Yuengling Dome. Turn on the TV for one hour and try not to see a beer/liquor commercial. 

I will say this though, a really good journalist would have been able to get their hands on the financials for this deal already. 

Watching the news alone will get anyone drinking. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If naming buildings after alcohol companies made that much of an impact, there’d be a hell of a lot more of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I will venture to guess that not a single person will be directly influenced to drink because the Sun Dome is now the Yuengling Dome.

Obviously, you are unaware of the doughnut excess and abuse at Providence College

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhrw3FgF1xFIRplfwTifL

• Haha 3

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

45 minutes ago, Brad said:

Obviously, you are unaware of the doughnut excess and abuse at Providence College

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhrw3FgF1xFIRplfwTifL

You forgot to mention how I have 30 barrels of oil in my backyard built up over the last few years.

• Haha 1