• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critiquing Joey Knight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Pretty sure it was called the Sun Dome when our daughter started at USF in '02.  Also pretty sure she drank plenty of beer.  So who or what gets the blame?  I guess you could put it on me.  But I really don't believe the name change will prompt any additional drinking.  Do we make kids detour around their brewery which may have its name out front and on the building?  Maybe we can make all bars and liquor stores take down their signs so college kids aren't tempted to imbibe.  I don't know of any arenas out there named The 420 Dome yet I imagine some kids partake. 

I realize the 420 Dome is a joke, today.  However, as we continue to legitimize drug use in this country, it's only a matter of time. 

If advertising doesn't work then companies are throwing away money on it to the tune of $1 Trillion a year, not to mention salaries and of advertising folks.  Hell, Jordan Zimmerman must be all smoke and mirrors with no income.  Advertising drives no one to any products, interesting take. 

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I just buried my money in the backyard until my first trip to Ray Jay. 

8 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

I realize the 420 Dome is a joke, today.  However, as we continue to legitimize drug use in this country, it's only a matter of time. 

If advertising doesn't work then companies are throwing away money on it to the tune of $1 Trillion a year, not to mention salaries and of advertising folks.  Hell, Jordan Zimmerman must be all smoke and mirrors with no income.  Advertising drives no one to any products, interesting take. 

Go Bulls!

Advertising beer to college kids is like advertising ice to Eskimos.    

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

5 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Go Bulls!

No, advertising does influence consumer decisions, no one would rationally argue otherwise. I think the larger point being made is that there are SO many other ways that consumers are exposed to advertising that the name of a beer company being associated with the Sun Dome isn't going to make a scintilla of difference in the grand scheme of things. If anything, this is a better example of branding than advertising. The consumer is already aware of the existence of the product and now they are just being conditioned to familiarize themselves with a specific brand. It may result in the increased consumption of Yuengling, but is unlikely to result in the increased consumption of beer overall. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

I just got an advertisement from USFAA this morning regarding the trip to Chicago to see the game at Illinois.  What a waste of money, time and effort.  No one is influenced by advertisement. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

13 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

I just got an advertisement from USFAA this morning regarding the trip to Chicago to see the game at Illinois.  What a waste of money, time and effort.  No one is influenced by advertisement. 

How do you explain the use of marijuana?  Advertising? 

As Bully pointed out, there are some things that people gravitate to. Not saying advertising doesn't work - unless your the Huuuuuuuge Kia guy in which case I would never buy from him - but there are some things that don't need a "sell".   Beer and college kids, perfect together (my apologies to the State of NJ who used that perfect together slogan a century ago).

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

18 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

It's a pretty big deal to name the building after a beer company on a college campus.  Lots of data and measurable out there that speak to alcohol and underage and binge drinking.  I'm all about personal accountability, however, I also am not a fan of fanning the flame when there is no need. 

I don't see JK's piece as a hack job vs. USF.  Lots of outlets picked up the story and the overwhelming feeling was it tests the boundaries.  While we are not the first and won't be the last, the overwhelming majority of colleges and universities will stay away from these types of deals with these types of companies. 

We are in it now, so I guess we make the best of it. 

Go Bulls!

My problem isn't the article. My problem is I read the article and thought "I think I've read this before." then someone did the work for me and posted similar articles going back to at least 2016.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

44 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Gonna have to disagree here. Being in Philly, you've probably heard of Wanamaker. I use his quote nearly every course.

"I know half my advertising budget is wasted. I just don't know WHICH half."

Advertising works, we KNOW that. We just don't know exactly how well it works. Human nature has a way of fouling up our nice neat formulas.

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

At least the straw man gets you access to the carpool lane.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Pretty sure it was called the Sun Dome when our daughter started at USF in '02.  Also pretty sure she drank plenty of beer.  So who or what gets the blame?  I guess you could put it on me.  But I really don't believe the name change will prompt any additional drinking.  Do we make kids detour around their brewery which may have its name out front and on the building?  Maybe we can make all bars and liquor stores take down their signs so college kids aren't tempted to imbibe.  I don't know of any arenas out there named The 420 Dome yet I imagine some kids partake. 

I need a 🥃