• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are We Bulls Fans Spoiled?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If we had never been in the Big East right now we would have about 10,000 more fans a game. But that being said, it’s hard to trade away those memories. 

I would love to hear your logic on this. I am not being mean, seriously, what are you basing this assumption on?

I looked at a couple of games from 2004 and we had an announced attendance of around 25,500 for the opener that year and ECU. Seems to be roughly on par with where we are today (real #s). We had an announced average of 37K last year? I know that's not butts in seats, but, you're saying those would be actual numbers if we never went to the BE?

Just look across I4 and tell me if the exact scenario you bring up has resulted in such an increase for UCF.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I would love to hear your logic on this. I am not being mean, seriously, what are you basing this assumption on?

I looked at a couple of games from 2004 and we had an announced attendance of around 25,500 for the opener that year and ECU. Seems to be roughly on par with where we are today (real #s). We had an announced average of 37K last year? I know that's not butts in seats, but, you're saying those would be actual numbers if we never went to the BE?

Just look across I4 and tell me if the exact scenario you bring up has resulted in such an increase for UCF.

Yeah I figured this was going to get a few question marks. Now I don’t have the data that you shared but that 2004 team was bad and that was a significant impact on attendance. My point (and maybe 10k is too high) we would have more fans now as being ranked and undefeated in a so so conference would create more excitement as we would not have known any better. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I think coming from such a talent rich state and such a talent rich area brings on more expectations. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If we had never been in the Big East right now we would have about 10,000 more fans a game. But that being said, it’s hard to trade away those memories. 

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

46 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yeah I figured this was going to get a few question marks. Now I don’t have the data that you shared but that 2004 team was bad and that was a significant impact on attendance. My point (and maybe 10k is too high) we would have more fans now as being ranked and undefeated in a so so conference would create more excitement as we would not have known any better. 

I think you nailed it, which I've been saying all along. The BE, and early 2007, did a number on both the almost-diehard and casual fans in the area. The fanbase wasn't allowed to grow organically but instead got an artificial injection that wore off when the dust settled and we landed where we should have been all along. Obviously no way to know for sure if it would have been different but I agree with your theory.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Spoiled no.  Entitled yes!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,029
  • Days Won:  38

No.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I think you nailed it, which I've been saying all along. The BE, and early 2007, did a number on both the almost-diehard and casual fans in the area. The fanbase wasn't allowed to grow organically but instead got an artificial injection that wore off when the dust settled and we landed where we should have been all along. Obviously no way to know for sure if it would have been different but I agree with your theory.

Exactly!  Early winning and success in the Big East conditioned our fans to expect nothing but the best every season and they expected that type of competition every season.   I think a brand new team's core base of fans grows slowly.  It was over-inflated by joining the Big East and early success.  When the conference and winning went away, the "fair weather" fans stopped coming to games and it was back to the core base.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

I'm with the camp that says we as fans were spoiled in the past.  Now we're not.  I'd say we're like a once rich spoiled kid who got everything he wanted...until he was suddenly cut off and had to take a boring job and use public transportation like every other typical schmuck (along with his 2 buddies, Cinci and UCONN).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

Spoiled no.  Entitled yes!

What he said ^^^^

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

We've been to a bowl less than half of our eligible seasons. We've won 10 games once. Finished in the top 25 once. And have zero conference championships. 

I'm not sure everyone is clear on the definition of spoiled.