• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are We Bulls Fans Spoiled?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

No, I'm not doing one of those threads; I'm serious.

Okay, we went from no football to a BCS team and then #2 in the land in no time at all. I mean teams like Troy who beat LSU last week, that was their glory ---for how many years of football?

We've taken out FSU @ FSU and Notre Dame @ Notre Dame, to name a few.

We started football in 1997!

Speaking for myself, I'm always wanting MORE. I mean I want us to get into the top 10 this season! That's crazy, when compared to schools that have been playing football for eons and they never even crack the polls.

I guess it's hard not to be spoiled when we are surrounded by the successes of UM, uf, and FSU. And I'm sure many of us migrated over from one of those teams when we got USF football.

But my goodness, sometimes we have it so good that we still want it all. #OCS#

Step back for a sec. We are ranked. We have most of the staff from last season's Texas. We are on national TV quite a bit. Most teams would love to play on ESPN! Georgia Southern, how often are they on national TV?

Remember Hofstra back in the day? They closed down their football program...

No USF football this weekend. But I'm going to make it a point to stop and appreciate what we have. :guinness:

I agree. I would say our fan base was lulled into a false sense of entitlement due to the early years where we were relatively spoiled with good teams and winning marquee matchups. Then our fan base subsequently reacted kinda like how a spoiled teenager would react when nice things get taken away and you have to dig deep - it threw a tantrum and gave up.

The college football world owes us nothing and doesn't care if we whine about our attendance, or not being P5, or having our coaches poached by bigger teams. For everyone out there that thinks that it does, you sound like a 20 something who grew up privaleged in the suburbs and are harping about how your parents cut you off because you screwed up and stopped trying....and this is coming from a millennial. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

We're a very entitled fanbase for a program that has always fallen short of expectations. Hopefully this season ends that trend. I want a conference title so **** bad!! 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Hardcore fans aren't spoiled, we are all enjoying this season thoroughly and know why the schedule is so "soft". 

Casual USF fans are spoiled...you know the ones:

1. Can't spell "Leavitt"

2. Can't spell "Taggart"

3. Ask WHY ARENT WE PLAYING BIG SCHOOLS 

4. Don't know what conference we are in

5. Complain about everything, while never actually going to games

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

We've been to a bowl less than half of our eligible seasons. We've won 10 games once. Finished in the top 25 once. And have zero conference championships. 

I'm not sure everyone is clear on the definition of spoiled.

I think the just used term "false sense of entitlement" is more accurate than spoiled ....

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

We have not won anything.  I think people want us to be Florida or some other big program and we are stuck in the situation and there is not much we can do about it.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

I think the just used term "false sense of entitlement" is more accurate than spoiled ....

Isn't every form of entitlement false? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Isn't every form of entitlement false? 

I was actually toying with that before posting ...... but I think there are legit forms of entitlement .... aren't there?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Hem said:

Hardcore fans aren't spoiled, we are all enjoying this season thoroughly and know why the schedule is so "soft". 

Casual USF fans are spoiled...you know the ones:

1. Can't spell "Leavitt"

2. Can't spell "Taggart"

3. Ask WHY ARENT WE PLAYING BIG SCHOOLS 

4. Don't know what conference we are in

5. Complain about everything, while never actually going to games

If we still had Coach Levitt or Tagart, we wouldn't be in this situation.  Last year we played FSU and packed the stadium.  We need to do that more often, then we may be able to move from the ACC to the Big 12!  Until this happens, you won't find me at any games.

:lmao:

Edited by NJUSFBULL

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

I think you nailed it, which I've been saying all along. The BE, and early 2007, did a number on both the almost-diehard and casual fans in the area. The fanbase wasn't allowed to grow organically but instead got an artificial injection that wore off when the dust settled and we landed where we should have been all along. Obviously no way to know for sure if it would have been different but I agree with your theory.

I think we got the "instant fans" kinda thing with the big wins in the early days. They'd put on a USF T-shirt and attended games but that's just to hop on the bandwagon.

Leavitt's departure, all of it, + the down years whittled the fans down to the core diehards. Basically, we lost fans for a while there. We've been gaining fans but not enough in the last few years to make up for the big drain after the bandwagoners jumped wagon (ship?).

Have the bandwagoners come back? Nope. Even FSU didn't bring them back. Though, I did see some guy trying to scalp tickets before the game, which made me laugh internally (with pride).

As for "spoiled fans," maybe I went too far with that. What I'm saying is that sometimes we want everything and right now. That said, after this weekend of no USF football, I'm still going to want everything and fast! --Let's pound everybody into the ground! :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,025
  • Days Won:  38

Also keep in mind the "down years" after Leavitt were borderline unwatchable and the stadium felt like a library.  That probably didn't help the bandwagon.