• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are We Bulls Fans Spoiled?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I love the hardcore fan base we currently have. They're the ones that make going to away games that much better; the camaraderie with those folks is fantastic. Now we need to get more fans developed for our home games.

Administration has to get on board, and coordinate with professors to ensure that exams can be avoided on game nights, the professors help promote games during game weeks, etc. Athletics needs to reach out to the local media to help create a connection between USF athletics and Tampa Bay. All this takes time, but we need to do something to shift the USF culture around Tampa Bay. Currently, it's rather mediocre. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

39 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I love the hardcore fan base we currently have. They're the ones that make going to away games that much better; the camaraderie with those folks is fantastic. Now we need to get more fans developed for our home games.

Administration has to get on board, and coordinate with professors to ensure that exams can be avoided on game nights, the professors help promote games during game weeks, etc. Athletics needs to reach out to the local media to help create a connection between USF athletics and Tampa Bay. All this takes time, but we need to do something to shift the USF culture around Tampa Bay. Currently, it's rather mediocre. 

Nationally, many professors hate college sports and football in particular. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:
3 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Nationally, many professors hate college sports and football in particular. 

Wussies!

There is SO MUCH MORE to college than academics. Otherwise we could all just do our degrees online.

Clubs, sports, activities, SG, etc are all equally valuable, and in the case of many BS courses, even more so.

I start every Monday class with time for the students to make announcements, and make special arrangements with any athlete that needs it.

We need the equivalent of the Ice Bucket Challenge to get them publicly on board.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

On 10/5/2017 at 5:01 AM, BullFan98 said:

I also appreciate USF football, but do not think we are spoiled.  In 20 years we have not won a conference championship.  Lets hope and keep fingers crossed this is the year, then again I hope for this every year.  

The further you move down the food chain, the less a conference championship means.

I would rather beat Alabama.  (yes, that argument again  :1_grinning: )

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Wussies!

There is SO MUCH MORE to college than academics. Otherwise we could all just do our degrees online.

Clubs, sports, activities, SG, etc are all equally valuable, and in the case of many BS courses, even more so.

I start every Monday class with time for the students to make announcements, and make special arrangements with any athlete that needs it.

We need the equivalent of the Ice Bucket Challenge to get them publicly on board.

I agree. I have one colleague who is terrible. Every time I see him one can tell he was never picked to play for a team when he was younger. A total jerk towards the athletes in general and athletics specifically. 

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

On 10/7/2017 at 12:14 PM, Brad said:

The further you move down the food chain, the less a conference championship means.

I would rather beat Alabama.  (yes, that argument again  :1_grinning: )

Didn't we beat UAB (Blazers) :smileys-money-909335:, but I believe we also lost to them.  :)

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

On 10/7/2017 at 12:14 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree. I have one colleague who is terrible. Every time I see him one can tell he was never picked to play for a team when he was younger. A total jerk towards the athletes in general and athletics specifically. 

Well, academics will be academically-focused; that's natural.  Not natural to be a jerk to athletes, and no excuse for it.

Nonetheless, it's unreasonable to ask professors to change their policies for football games.  The reason our alma mater exists is for academics, not football attendance.  Academics > athletics, always.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

On 10/7/2017 at 11:51 AM, charsibb said:

Wussies!

Agree that college is about a lot more than academics.  But academics steers the ship and always should.  Read your university's mission statement and it's plain as day.  Athletics are fantastic, no doubt; but academics is the core of any university, for good reason.

38 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Well, academics will be academically-focused; that's natural.  Not natural to be a jerk to athletes, and no excuse for it.

Nonetheless, it's unreasonable to ask professors to change their policies for football games.  The reason our alma mater exists is for academics, not football attendance.  Academics > athletics, always.

I agree in principle with what you are saying. Academics always, always come first. It’s just this guy chaps my ass with his condescending attitude toward college sports. I don’t support changing exams, but I know some of my students would probably not be in college if it was not athletics. The guy I am speaking of just does not understand.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On 10/7/2017 at 11:51 AM, charsibb said:

Wussies!

As someone who was once a student-athlete and is now on the other side of the equation, I will NEVER make special arrangements with athletes other than test scheduling for classes they miss due to games. It's not fair to the student-athlete and it's not fair to the other students. 99.9% of athletes aren't going to make their living from their sport and if they walk off campus with a ******** degree just because they can run fast or hit a ball, I haven't done my job. No one is making special arrangements for the kid who has to work 40 hours a week at Publix to pay for school, so athletes should be held to the same standard. You're absolutely right that college is about more than academics. It's about time management, learning priorities, juggling deadlines, you know, the skills that the real world require to succeed.

Edited by JTrue