• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 12 Might Be Forced to Expand

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Big 12 is in a pickle. Looks like they will have to expand but the big schools like Texas and OU aren't interested in what is presently available.

I think if they were to add schools like Memphis, Cincinnati, USF, Etc. You would just see schools like Texas and OU, maybe Kansas due to basketball bolt for the Big 10, ACC and SEC.

Basically, the Big 12 is in the same boat the Big East was in 5 or so years ago.

I am ambivalent. At the end of the day, the big schools are never going to accept USF as a school on equal footing them and will do all they can to make sure they are one step below them. Short of an 8 team playoff with the G5 having at least one guaranteed slot, we will always be stuck at the kiddie table. So all you can do it control what you can control in your conference and win.

they can keep digging in, or running but that won't change things. The Big xii isn't getting FSU, Clemson, or any other big names school their fans spout off. The fact is as new schools come up they need to either acknowledge them or move out of the way. There are at least a dozen schools that are in top tier conferences that could be relegated for one reason or another. I think we need a soccer style system to move schools up or down depending on performance. Have the conferences keep their names. Make things static zone wise, and have you move up or down to a regional conference. The P5/G5 setup could work in this fashion. Expand the playoff 16 teams, and the still keep the bowls. Best 8 from each group go into the playoff, and the other teams with 6 wins go to bowls. Top 4 G5 move up, and the bottom 4 P5 move down. Just a thought

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Honestly, I think they care about their tradition of having schools with on campus stadiums.  Really nothing more than that, I realize Pitt is in the ACC without one.  I just think the Big 12 values a brand and tradition which we lack (for the most part), but I think if we agreed to build an OCS that would satisfy them if they were already interested in us.  

This is no disrespect to you personally, because you are far from the only one saying this, and I completely realize I'm in the minority, but I feel this is a rationalization (not sure if that's really the correct word) on the part of the "OCS NOW!" group that helps them justify their need want for a "better gameday experience," combined with their need want of being in a P5.  

Saying that we NEED to have an OCS in order to get into a P5, bottom-line, is more of a hope to the OCS NOW! group, because there's literally no evidence out there that shows this to be the case.  Trust me, if the USF administration agreed with you that an OCS was critical to getting in a P5, we'd know where exactly and when breaking of ground would start.  

The truth is that the only evidence of the best way to get into a P5 conference shows that the key is how to make the other members $$$.  That's it, folks.  It really is as simple as that.  

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

Yup. I would love to stay in the AAC if it paid more and got more TV time/recognition. This was a very good season for the conference imo. We need to have a very strong bowl showing as well. The cities we get to travel to are way better in the AAC.

Memphis, Philadelphia, Annapolis, Orlando, Houston, Tulsa, New Orleans, Cincinnati, Dallas > Norman, Lubbock, Stillwater, Topeka, Ames, Manhattan, Morgantown.

Austin(UT) and Fort Worth(TCU) are the only good ones really. 

To be fair....

Norman = Oklahoma City

Ames = Des Moines

Lawrence (University of Kansas) = Kansas City

Fort Worth = Dallas/Ft. Worth

Plus one could argue that many of the AAC schools don't control their own market. 

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

they can keep digging in, or running but that won't change things. The Big xii isn't getting FSU, Clemson, or any other big names school their fans spout off. The fact is as new schools come up they need to either acknowledge them or move out of the way. There are at least a dozen schools that are in top tier conferences that could be relegated for one reason or another. I think we need a soccer style system to move schools up or down depending on performance. Have the conferences keep their names. Make things static zone wise, and have you move up or down to a regional conference. The P5/G5 setup could work in this fashion. Expand the playoff 16 teams, and the still keep the bowls. Best 8 from each group go into the playoff, and the other teams with 6 wins go to bowls. Top 4 G5 move up, and the bottom 4 P5 move down. Just a thought

As much as I love this idea, realistically that just doesn't seem logical in so many areas.

I'm going to go with 'you started out serious, with a good point, and slipped into inanity on purpose ...'

those are the best kind of comments though. The silly stuff keeps people on their toes.

just doesn't seem logical in so many areas.

jotting things down quickly will down that. It wasn't a fully fleshed out manifesto, just an off the top of my head comment by a keyboard commando

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

To be fair....

Norman = Oklahoma City

Ames = Des Moines

Plus one could argue that many of the AAC schools don't control their own market. 

Depends on how you look at it. Norman is like 20 miles away so it is like saying St. Pete = Tampa. 

Ames is 30+ miles away so it is like saying Dade City = Tampa. 

I forgot that it was Lawrence, not Topeka, for KU. But still, it is like 40 miles away so its like saying Brooksville = Tampa. 

Yeah I knew about Ft. Worth. I put it with Austin. I am not disagreeing with your premise, I am just saying most of us will hardly make a trip into the city when visiting the schools. I wasnt referring to TV markets, I was referring to cities to visit on road trips lol. I am not driving an hour into Des Moines after a 330 game at ISU. Tulane, Memphis, and SMU are right in their respective cities. 

Your last point is def true. 

To be fair....

Norman = Oklahoma City

Ames = Des Moines

still not very impressed. The current city set up is more interesting.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

To be fair....

Norman = Oklahoma City

Ames = Des Moines

And few of those cities are worth a ****

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

This is no disrespect to you personally, because you are far from the only one saying this, and I completely realize I'm in the minority, but I feel this is a rationalization (not sure if that's really the correct word) on the part of the "OCS NOW!" group that helps them justify their need want for a "better gameday experience," combined with their need want of being in a P5.  

Saying that we NEED to have an OCS in order to get into a P5, bottom-line, is more of a hope to the OCS NOW! group, because there's literally no evidence out there that shows this to be the case.  Trust me, if the USF administration agreed with you that an OCS was critical to getting in a P5, we'd know where exactly and when breaking of ground would start.  

The truth is that the only evidence of the best way to get into a P5 conference shows that the key is how to make the other members $$$.  That's it, folks.  It really is as simple as that.  

GA, I get what you are saying and I'm trying to tell you that I literally have NO EVIDENCE.  Even if there was some shred of evidence, I'm too lazy to go find it.  I'm actually not part of the OCS NOW! group.  I do want an OCS eventually but when the time is right, I'm just telling you my opinion.  My opinion here is not based on fact, it's purely on conjecture of who I've talked from BIG 12 alums (which some are diehards and donors but none are behind-the-scenes or 'in the know') and what they think is important to their conference.  I just believe that if we are negotiating behind the scenes, that the OCS being delivered within an X amount of years will be in the BIG 12 contract.  Why I think this, maybe because I've lost my mind, I don't know.

Also, I'm better explaining stuff in person, and I'm heading out from Dallas to the bowl game.  Let me know if you'll be around, I'll buy you a cold one and tell you how I'm a bit off the rocker.

Edited by BrownBullsFan