• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 12 Might Be Forced to Expand

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Houston, SMU, Tulsa and maybe Memphis make the most sense for historical, regional and TV market reasons for a B12 expansion.

Edited by BullDoug
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Houston, SMU, Tulsa and maybe Memphis make the most sense for historical, regional and TV market reasons for a B12 expansion.

That doesn't seem to always matter, i.e. West Virginia

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

That doesn't seem to always matter, i.e. West Virginia

It'd be great to be playing WVU again. While not as great as getting UL back on the schedule, the WVU games were always fun ones.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Big 12 is in a pickle. Looks like they will have to expand but the big schools like Texas and OU aren't interested in what is presently available.

I think if they were to add schools like Memphis, Cincinnati, USF, Etc. You would just see schools like Texas and OU, maybe Kansas due to basketball bolt for the Big 10, ACC and SEC.

Basically, the Big 12 is in the same boat the Big East was in 5 or so years ago.

I am ambivalent. At the end of the day, the big schools are never going to accept USF as a school on equal footing them and will do all they can to make sure they are one step below them. Short of an 8 team playoff with the G5 having at least one guaranteed slot, we will always be stuck at the kiddie table. So all you can do it control what you can control in your conference and win.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

Big 12 is in a pickle. Looks like they will have to expand but the big schools like Texas and OU aren't interested in what is presently available.

I think if they were to add schools like Memphis, Cincinnati, USF, Etc. You would just see schools like Texas and OU, maybe Kansas due to basketball bolt for the Big 10, ACC and SEC.

Basically, the Big 12 is in the same boat the Big East was in 5 or so years ago.

I am ambivalent. At the end of the day, the big schools are never going to accept USF as a school on equal footing them and will do all they can to make sure they are one step below them. Short of an 8 team playoff with the G5 having at least one guaranteed slot, we will always be stuck at the kiddie table. So all you can do it control what you can control in your conference and win.

I think this sums it up.  I would be happy in the AAC if we made enough money to keep our coach happy and had access to the playoffs.  I think it is inevitable that they expand the playoffs to 8 teams short term and 16 teams long/medium term.  There is just too much money to be made by having a playoff like NCAA Basketball tournament (albeit on a smaller scale) .  Heck the basketball tournament has found a way to expand beyond 64 teams.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Done! It's your positive reinforcement that allows me to get out of bed each morning.

put one foot in front of the other... and soon you'll be walkin out the door..

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

I think this sums it up.  I would be happy in the AAC if we made enough money to keep our coach happy and had access to the playoffs.  I think it is inevitable that they expand the playoffs to 8 teams short term and 16 teams long/medium term.  There is just too much money to be made by having a playoff like NCAA Basketball tournament (albeit on a smaller scale) .  Heck the basketball tournament has found a way to expand beyond 64 teams.

the current 4 team playoff is contracted through 2025/26 season.  

We need to work out a deal with the Big12 like WV did when they joined.  An escalating equity position over a fixed period of time.  $2million  payout year 1, $5 million year 2, $10 million year 3, Full equity year 4.  

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The ESPNization of college football demands that you have an ocs. 

I'm going to go with 'you started out serious, with a good point, and slipped into inanity on purpose ...'

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305

Yup. I would love to stay in the AAC if it paid more and got more TV time/recognition. This was a very good season for the conference imo. We need to have a very strong bowl showing as well. The cities we get to travel to are way better in the AAC.

Memphis, Philadelphia, Annapolis, Orlando, Houston, Tulsa, New Orleans, Cincinnati, Dallas > Norman, Lubbock, Stillwater, Topeka, Ames, Manhattan, Morgantown.

Austin(UT) and Fort Worth(TCU) are the only good ones really. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117

the current 4 team playoff is contracted through 2025/26 season.  

We need to work out a deal with the Big12 like WV did when they joined.  An escalating equity position over a fixed period of time.  $2million  payout year 1, $5 million year 2, $10 million year 3, Full equity year 4.  

I wonder if they can adjust it though.  The whining of the teams that are left out is only going to get louder.  Also, I think they they will see how much more popular it is than just a stand alone crappy bowl.

As for the deal, I remember there was talk a few years ago of using our Big East money to buy ourselves in and then take the WVU deal.  I really think the B12 will disintegrate once they are forced to take us.